• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo Deadlift Vs Regular Deadlift

I'm short-bodied and short armed (just short in general) and have pretty powerful legs but I tried sumo for a few months and hated it. It just felt all wrong.

*Most* world class lifters, lift sumo because they can lift more. Not surprisingly they tend to have a world class squat & with this leg power they are able to get big weights off the floor quickly with powerful leg drive which is the key to a good sumo.

Leg drive is not the key to sumo. When pulling conventional one should push down and pull back. Pulling sumo the idea is to spread the floor by pushing out on the outsides of your feet. This fires your glutes and hamstrings to break the floor as opposed to quads when pulling conventional.

Leg drive is not the key to sumo. When pulling conventional one should push down and pull back. Pulling sumo the idea is to spread the floor by pushing out on the outsides of your feet. This fires your glutes and hamstrings to break the floor as opposed to quads when pulling conventional.

Where did you read that?

We basically agree on the action so obviously the term 'leg drive' was a poor choice. When I say leg drive the main action I'm referring to is Hip Extension, the strongest hip extensors are the glutes. So therefore using glutes = leg drive, obviously though to you leg drive means quads & if so I agree that would be wrong.

So who ended up winning? sumo or conventional deadlift?

Not sure. I think it's a bit like home & away....something that'll take a while to wrap up. I don't really have a point if view. I've not deadlifted in a very long time. I've done clean & snatch deadlifts. Their different tho. You can't do them sumo.

I thought i would throw my 2 cents in here, i have pulled Sumo and Conventional in all of my comps, and they both are stuck at the same weight, 282.5kg. Currently i'm pulling conventional due to me putting on extra size on my thighs which inhibits my sumo technique, but once i get more flexible again i will probably go back to sumo. I'm 5 7' and have short everything. I find the carry over for both styles helps my squatting equally

Necrobump thingy....
Currently Sumo because it just felt right from the moment I tried deadlifting...but curiosity has got the better of me and I'm going to train conventional next week

I started out Deadlifting conventional, I cant ever remember for the life of me when I converted to Sumo, but when I did the numbers flew up.

I have read women are better suited to sumo deadlifts for some reason belonging to the hips.... I think Scott can clarify. It may have been him or one of his female lifters who may have posted it.

Last edited:
Yeah ok, we'll I'll get to see your sumo style in a couple saturdays, lol :)

I bumped this thread so Scott could give me a bit of knowledge on the subject without cluttering his log....