• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo Deadlift Vs Regular Deadlift

Well using Christians logic, that people do whats easier, clearly conventional is easier as its far more common in competition and gyms.

I

So your logic is people that deadlift sumo do it to make the lift harder for themselves so they can lift less weight in a comp?

please...

People sumo because THEY find it easier to lift more weight, it reduces their ROM and uses muscles they are stronger in like belly benching and wider stance parrelell squats.

SO everyone is saying the people who sumo do it because its harder for them?

Maybe everyone should re read the thread and put their dicks away.. What the fuck are you people trying to argue about.

DO you all just like to bitch and moan for the fucking sake of it? This place is becoming a joke.

Last edited:
Mechanically the two are slightly different, but I wouldn't lie awake at night over whether someone pulls sumo or conventional...

Christian your joking right?

See if you can pull more sumo, then report back

If you can't, will you continue to pull the easier way, conventional?

You are confusing ROM and easier

i think sumo is harder to learn than conventional, thats why it is less popular. most people wouldn't have the adductor flexibility to be able to perform it comfortably and correctly. However i think that once you learnt it, it would come down to lerverages, epuipment carryover, and personal preference.

On the note that all the best deadlifters pull conventional, it may be that the best possible deadlift is conventional. for example, the fastest car is faster than the fastest bike, but that doesn't mean that someones bike cannot be faster than their car. if that makes sense.

their were probably 25% sumo pullers at Matti Tikka. many off those that pulled sumo did well, so that could be an indication of their experience.

for what its worth...

[YOUTUBE]GPhDh6naz14[/YOUTUBE]
3x bw deadlit (sumo)

[YOUTUBE]yWs_hVKEb7c&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]
3x bw deadlift (conventional)

Christian your joking right?

See if you can pull more sumo, then report back

If you can't, will you continue to pull the easier way, conventional?

You are confusing ROM and easier

I mentioned some people due to their leverages

The people who lift sumo obviously feel they can lift more with it. Otherwise why the fuck would they bother?!?!?

But Christian, why are you targeting deadlift?

Max got told to widen his grip on bench, to reduce the ROM, he doesnt because he finds it HARDER.

Same situation on squat, go low bar wide stance. He would drop 20kg on his squat doing that.

So Max lifts the way he finds EASIEST, which is completely different to lifting in a way that reduces ROM.

Max would pull 50kg less sumo style.

Every competitive lifter should lift the way they find EASIEST to lift the most weight.

Harry, my examples of conventional were of the 3 lifters pulling the most weight in the world right now, without equipment. I dont understand what you were alluding to.

Nobody pulls more weight than these guys without gear, or with gear for that matter.

But Christian, why are you targeting deadlift?

Max got told to widen his grip on bench, to reduce the ROM, he doesnt because he finds it HARDER.

Same situation on squat, go low bar wide stance. He would drop 20kg on his squat doing that.

So Max lifts the way he finds EASIEST, which is completely different to lifting in a way that reduces ROM.

Max would pull 50kg less sumo style.

Every competitive lifter should lift the way they find EASIEST to lift the most weight.

Harry, my examples of conventional were of the 3 lifters pulling the most weight in the world right now, without equipment. I dont understand what you were alluding to.

Nobody pulls more weight than these guys without gear, or with gear for that matter.

You just repeated what i said and have been saying the whole time... The people who lift sumo do so because they find it easier! :mad: If it wasnt easier for them they wouldnt do it!!

At the comp I was at on the weekend, I think all raw lifters pulled conventional and the equipt guys pulled sumo. I pulled a hybrid of the 2.

You just repeated what i said and have been saying the whole time... The people who lift sumo do so because they find it easier! :mad: If it wasnt easier for them they wouldnt do it!!

yes.. but you also said this..

1 reduces the range of motion so you can

a.lift heavier
b. make it easier

M is saying that reducing the ROM does not automatically mean you can:
a. lift heavier
b. make it easier.

in the example of max.

you're all saying the same thing but being knobs about it.

if the OP's question of the difference between conv and sumo has been answered, we can all now put down our rulers and forget the measurements.

yes.. but you also said this..

M is saying that reducing the ROM does not automatically mean you can:
a. lift heavier
b. make it easier.

in the example of max.

you're all saying the same thing but being knobs about it.

if the OP's question of the difference between conv and sumo has been answered, we can all now put down our rulers and forget the measurements.

Im going to stop posting off an iphone because everyone is the anal police!

People who sumo deadlift do so because it limits the rom so THEY can

a. lift heavier
b.make it easier
c. profit?

1 reduces the range of motion so you can

a.lift heavier
b. make it easier

Sumo will use other muscle groups yes, it should never take over form a conventional deadlift in training..

Even Ed Coan who lifts sumo style does most of his training conventional style then adds sumos with conventional up until a meet.

Powerlifting is about making something as short and easy as they possibly can.

This answers the question.

Pretty simple.

What we know, or should know;

The bar is able to stay closer the the body in a wider stance? Yes

There is more technique involved in the "sumo"? Yes

In the dead lift, the lift is initiated by the hip and thighs and finished with the assistance of the low back musculature

Stabilizing the weight and controlling body position also calls upon the; traps, scapula retractors, lats, forearms and hams.

As with all exercise, try it, if it works keep it, if it doesn't try something else.

There is no point dying in a ditch over it gentlemen. :)

I'd actually see that a person with long legs, short torso, short arms and big nuts benefitting from sumo.

Just sayin.

sumo

all the answers above are correct let me add sumo is more suited to short bodied lifters ,the shorter you are the better sumo works.

Thanks for the answers and the decent discussion, different manouvers for different goals.

At the comp I was at on the weekend, I think all raw lifters pulled conventional and the equipt guys pulled sumo. I pulled a hybrid of the 2.

My current deadlift style (which suits me very well) is copied from yours and Shorty, so thanks!

I used to pull conventional and now pull sumo. I pulled 235 @ 121.4 and just missed 250 at the top on Saturday. My best conventional was 220 @ 110. I squat wide cause I'm short and fat and therefore I get a better carry over from squatting wide and pulling sumo. Having spent time training for both I've gotten alot better. I'm also planning to compete equipped after ProRaw therefore I get better carry over from a suit pulling sumo.

My current deadlift style (which suits me very well) is copied from yours and Shorty, so thanks!

Lol no worries mate :).
Conventional was uncomfortable for me, but stayed with it untill I got past 200. I tried sumo, and it just felt wrong :D. That's why I settled between the 2.

*Most* world class lifters, lift sumo because they can lift more. Not surprisingly they tend to have a world class squat & with this leg power they are able to get big weights off the floor quickly with powerful leg drive which is the key to a good sumo.

Before anyone gets their nickers in a knot let me clarify *Most*, by that I mean 80-90% in weight classes under 100kg, as has been referred to in earlier posts most all-time high pulls have been conventional, as people get bigger biomechancally sumo becomes even harder. For want of a better term, there is a lack of anterior/posterior stability due to the feet being so wide i.e. it is easy to fall forward/back, when you're 150kg & round as a rain water tank it must be even harder not to fall forward, this is why in my opinion *Most* becomes least when talking about heavy guys. But at 75kg at IPF worlds 9/10 lift sumo, the 1/10 tends to be tall & skiny with a big conventional but not the sq/bp to match.