• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cutting, what sort of Calorie intake should I be looking at?

gumbs

Basically I'm 23 years old, 86Kg and 178cm body fat roughly around 25%. I've just finished my first solid bulking cycle and I'm training and competing in power lifting. I'm more concerned over strength vs body weight then how I look, I've manged to put on 4-5kg and lost abit of fat in the process. I weighed in at my last comp at 86.2Kg, (with out attempting to cut weight) but now I want to cut down to around 78Kg by the end of February (12 weeks), because I want to be within range of 74kg with a decent sweat down. (You only get 2 hours between weigh in and lifting at a power lifting comp, so I can't sweat down 10% of body weight preferably I'd want under 5%)

I have no idea where to start, my diet before this was great fun. I just ate steak, eggs and milk at every possibly opportunity. I was averaging around the 3500 calorie mark with next to no cardio but once I got to 86-87kg my weight plateaued.

Now I'm trying to work out what I should be setting as a calorie intake, but none of the websites seem to have an option for heavy weight training. I was training 4 days a week but I'm cutting that down to 3 days a week and trying to add at least an hour of cycling 3 days a week, hopefully I can get it up to 5 times a week. Calorie king is recommending me 1800, but that seems extremely low, and they don't seem to take into account lifting days.

Any advice on what I can do to keep myself from feeling burnt out and wrecked for the entire 12 weeks? Last time I tried a similar program I ended up skipping weight sessions left and right because I didn't have the energy.

if your 3500 calories was bulking then 2500-3000 cals shuold be enough of a drop to see you lose weight just do a bit of trial and error and see what works for you.... dont reduce the food intake when cuttign if your a powerlifter just reduce the fat intake tht is what i do.. ie chnage up some of your protein intake from steak to fresh fish, kangaroo, chciken, turkey etc which is much lower in fat. you will still conume the same amount of protein but less saturated fat. It works for me.

Mate I'm no expert (far from it) but I'm only 1cm taller than you and before I started bulking I was usually around 90kg (electronic scales said 25% BF make of that what you will). If power lifting is what you're interested in then I'm not sure you want to be cutting down at that height. It might work for you but 74-78kg seems very light for a 5'10 power lifter.