• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lose Fat / Maintain Muscle

time will tell. i am going to be trying them tomorrow night. these are cool i dont even have to go to gym to do burpees... good old drive way will do the trick.

as for the weights, mik, you been doing this, how much weight do you use?? do you go extremly light? 30,40,50 reps is a lot.

i been reading this... sounds just like what i need, i never did any sport or nothing growing up perhaps this will build me good foundations to grow on??

time will tell. i am going to be trying them tomorrow night. these are cool i dont even have to go to gym to do burpees... good old drive way will do the trick.

as for the weights, mik, you been doing this, how much weight do you use?? do you go extremly light? 30,40,50 reps is a lot.

Mate, as Fadi suggests choose a weight that is 30-50% of your one rep max, so for sqauts my MAX 1 rep is about 175kgs(50%) so atm for 40 reps (week2) I am using 80kgs. But if 1/2 of you 1RM is too much, then lower the weight.. do be to focussed on it, if you are getting a good burn and can just complete the prescribed reps i.e 30,40, 50 etc then you are on track!

Thuis workout will set you up perfectly to start a strong muscle building program, it is HARD and will take mental focus to get through "all those reps" but hey thats why your in the game right.. so get to it.
MD

whoa 80Kg is half your 1RM... i dont know my 1RM... probably 100Kg i guess.

i am just worried if i go too light it wont work. for all these reps is this perfect form the whole 30,40 and 50 reps? if say i tired too early on as the weight may have been too heavy, what would be best to do??

one more thing, just wondering, as we choose 8 exercises, for example could i vary them from session to session, example: Mon and Fri i would do deadlifts, and Wed i would do Barbell rows, then following week Mon and Fri i do barbell rows and Wed i do deadlifts??

or is it best to use the same exercises all the way through?? so choose 8 and do them the whole 5-6 weeks??

Fadi if i did something as you had suggested to tekkerz, would that work for me?? i want strength etc, but i want to do this program. which would be more benefit in long run doing it this way or way you suggested to tekkers?

Modo, I know exactly what you want and we're going to do it in a structured way. Do a full week of this; the first week and then we'll talk.

I know you want to get strong as well as muscular; I'm very aware of the whole situation beleive me. I just would like you to concentrate on this to build up some solid foundation with your fitness first. This way later on down the track when I ask you to perform a set of 20 rep squats; you'd kill it!

I'm editing this because I've realised that you've asked more questions regarding the weight and exercise variety. Ok Modo, here's where it's at right now: you're standing on the shore and have just begun to walk toward the water and get your feet wet. Once your feet are wet; only then you'd be able to feel the temperature of the water whether it's too cold to go all the way in or to just stay where you are and very slowly and gradually go deeper. So please, use the first week just to gauge where your weight mark is at and what exercises would work for you based on using the whole body. To do that, it would be great to write all in a diary as I've mentioned before. So go for it and discover what Modo is capable of.

PS: if your 1RM squat is 100kg, then use 30-50kg to get the job done. That's 30-50% pf 1RM. Modo, that's another reason why I would love you to do and concentrate just on this phase of the program instead of using a mixed program. It's very simple yet not simplistic. Let's not complicate it.

Fadi.

hey fadi I already did it LOL, check out my new journal. posted it last night.

I've already checked it Modo. I'm talking about one full week, this way you'd really get a feel of what it's all about and you yourself will be able to answer most of the questions you're asking now.

I'm very proud of you mate. But it's not just me I'm sure; I'm sure everyone else here is also feeling proud of your commitment. Very well done Modo.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi,

Travelling well with this program and the 2200/2800 nutritional plans, I am looking forward to your 12 month program, i am greatful for all your asssitance. I noted your thread on your' fat burner' i.e coffee, G/tea and aspirin. is this at all worthwhile or should i just focus on enrgy expenditure?

Also i just wanted to get your opinon on any other supplemnets or Vitamins/ minerals that may complement your diet plan.

As i am aware bothe plans are thus varied so that all Vitamins & minerals are in abundance, do you recommend taking any furthjer vitamin or mineral supplement ior anything else for that matter? sorry if this is a bit unclear..

MD

Hello Daniel,

Yes there are few items I would recommend, but that will have to wait till later on when I wake up. I'm about to go to sleep now, so please forgive me and I'll be sure to give you what you're asking for tonight.

Good Morning my friend.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi,

Travelling well with this program and the 2200/2800 nutritional plans, I am looking forward to your 12 month program, i am greatful for all your asssitance. I noted your thread on your' fat burner' i.e coffee, G/tea and aspirin. is this at all worthwhile or should i just focus on enrgy expenditure?

Also i just wanted to get your opinon on any other supplemnets or Vitamins/ minerals that may complement your diet plan.

MD

Hi MD,

Yes there are few items you can take to improve and protect your body from all the oxidizing oxygen entering your system whilst training.

1. Prior to training and in addition to the macros you're already having at that time; please add 2g of Leucine and 2g of Glutamine, 100mg vitamin C and the same for vitamin E.

2. After training add 2g Leucine and 2g Glutamine

3. Within 4 hours after training take 2g Leucine and 2g Glutamine.

I've done a whole article ob Glutamine here: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-supplements/9009-glutamine-king.html

I haven't done one on the mighty Leucine yet, but will do one soon.

As for the fat burners, everyone will respond differently MD. Try and see how you feel after a week; mood, energy etc.

Please note: do not take caffeine around the training time since it stimulates cortisol release; a hormone I'm doing my best to keep locked up by applying an insulin lock on it.

Of course there's more to this then what I've presented here, but I'd like to keep things simple then slowly build up by adding an item here and an item there...

All power to you Daniel.

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi,

Would you consider a good sports multi sufficient for prior to training?

Note: I already take these doses of luecine & glutamine

What about Taurine?

Is there any fear of having too many Vitimins, i.e if i have a multi in the morning then some others later in the day (B,E,C etc)?

MD

Thanks Fadi,

Would you consider a good sports multi sufficient for these 3 periods?

Note: I already take these doses of luecine & glutamine

MD

MD,

My experience with a multi anything is that the quantities are not really worth mentioning; that's how small they are. And that's why now you get a multi that instructs you to take 6 to 12 capsule/tablets sometimes because the company simply could not fit in all the ingredients in one or two tabs.

As an insurance thing; fine.

If you take a look at my kitchen cupboard; it looks like a mini health food store. Also, everyone have their preferences. I for example take CoQ10, milk thistle, kelp, etc. Others may think there's no need. I'm speaking from silence Mika, so it's harder for me to give you a 100% answer as far as specifics go.

I take magnesium, always 2:1 ratio of Magnesium to Calcium. I don't like taking calcium supplements. Also, you want to insure that you're getting at least 1mg of copper into your system (especially since most zinc complex supplements do not include it)!

See, this is turning into a new thread on supplements now. So I'll stop here.

Fadi.

what are the best & effective methods of using ONLY dumbells to loose weight & form muscle?
thats the only equipment i have & no time to go out =(

what are the best & effective methods of using ONLY dumbells to loose weight & form muscle?
thats the only equipment i have & no time to go out =(

Hi there Soofyn,

So you're the lady who'd like to annoy people yeh?!:D

Have you done a proper burpee before? Now that will tone your back side, legs, chest, back, arm, shoulders, calves, tummy. Did I miss anything? Oh yes, and increase the speed of your metabolism ten folds.

Have you got a bench at home or just the d/bells? I'm going to presume that you have nothing but the d/bells, so let's go and see what we can do with those babies...

1. D/bell squats
2. D/bell floor press (instead of bench press)
3. D/bell one arm bent over rows
4. D/bell shoulder press
5. D/bell side laterals
6. D/bell shrugs
7. D/bell standing curls
8. D/bell french curls
9. D/bell hammer curls
10 D/bell bent over laterals

All the above will tone the muscles that are hiding below a layer of fat (if you have a layer of fat on top that is). The Burpees will take care of speeding up your metabolism which would go to help you lose some fat mass.

You haven't told me a thing about your weight, height, activity level, "diet", and how much fat you want to lose. I realise you've said that you want to lose weight; is it really weight that you want to lose or fat?

I'll leave it here for now Soofyn. All the best.

Fadi.

MD,

My experience with a multi anything is that the quantities are not really worth mentioning; that's how small they are.

Thanks so much for your input Fadi, I am growing in confidence with my diet everyday due to your assistance, here is what i currently consume around your 2200/2800 plan: Based on both your advice, my experience and advice from other solid sources, please give me your honest opinion. Consider I am still at 90-92kgs, BF approx 15-17%. (current goal is fat loss, muscle maitenence) I feel like i am losing BF slowly, energy is great and my workouts are excellent (following your prorgam here also) .. perhaps i should be paying you a consultation fee..:)

5am:PreWO
2 Multi vit tabs
5g L-Carnatine
1 green tea tab
3 AMP tabs
2g glutamine
2g Lucine
5g taurine
100mg VitC
100mg VitE
PwoShake
8:amPWO
5g glutamine
2g Lucine
5g creatine
5g Beta alanine
Pwo meal
8:30 - Breakfast
10am
Meal
1magnesium tab
12pm
Meal
3 AMP tabs
1 Green tea tab
1 digestive enzymes tab - chewable
5g creatine
3pm
Meal
1magnesium tab
5pmPWO
1 Ginseng tab
2 BCAA tab
7pmPWO
Meal
1 tab Vit B
1 tab Vit C
1 tab calcium
1 tab zinc
2 glucosamine tab
10pm
Shake

hey Fadi can you please recommend something supp wise for me such as vitamins etc. i just use a multi vit, but i feel run down though i get ample sleep. some thing to pep me up.

Hi there Soofyn,

So you're the lady who'd like to annoy people yeh?!:D

Have you done a proper burpee before? Now that will tone your back side, legs, chest, back, arm, shoulders, calves, tummy. Did I miss anything? Oh yes, and increase the speed of your metabolism ten folds.

Have you got a bench at home or just the d/bells? I'm going to presume that you have nothing but the d/bells, so let's go and see what we can do with those babies...

1. D/bell squats
2. D/bell floor press (instead of bench press)
3. D/bell one arm bent over rows
4. D/bell shoulder press
5. D/bell side laterals
6. D/bell shrugs
7. D/bell standing curls
8. D/bell french curls
9. D/bell hammer curls
10 D/bell bent over laterals

All the above will tone the muscles that are hiding below a layer of fat (if you have a layer of fat on top that is). The Burpees will take care of speeding up your metabolism which would go to help you lose some fat mass.

You haven't told me a thing about your weight, height, activity level, "diet", and how much fat you want to lose. I realise you've said that you want to lose weight; is it really weight that you want to lose or fat?

I'll leave it here for now Soofyn. All the best.

Fadi.

Im not a lady im still a girl =D
burpee ? hmm i have in taekwondo about 2 years ago its bloody tireing.
ok thanks i will look into youtube to see proper technique for the above.
height- 172cm
weight-67kg
i eat almost anything when im hungry, & activity level = minimum.
ill tell you the story briefly, i used to do heaps of exercises( never weights ) & watch my diet, but after i had an ACL injury i was out for 8 months & since then its gone.... nowhere i guess lol
i really want to get my fitness back!! something pulled me to bodybuilding which i never thought of before =S
since you all are very accepting i might stick by it =) wiiiiiiiiiiii hihi
if i loose fat wont my weight go down ?? im confused

Thanks so much for your input Fadi, I am growing in confidence with my diet everyday due to your assistance, here is what i currently consume around your 2200/2800 plan: Based on both your advice, my experience and advice from other solid sources, please give me your honest opinion. Consider I am still at 90-92kgs, BF approx 15-17%. (current goal is fat loss, muscle maitenence) I feel like i am losing BF slowly, energy is great and my workouts are excellent (following your prorgam here also) .. perhaps i should be paying you a consultation fee..:)

Daniel,

Caffeine elevates cortisol secretion quite a bit. It's all about raising the insulin during training to combat or prevent a release of cortisol. Insulin is the king of anabolics (albeit with a double edged sword), whilst cortisol is the king of the catabolics (you knew that already I'm sure).

If you want to take your green tea, caffeine, and aspirin: do it but not around training time when cortisol levels best kept under lock and key.

Right now I'm looking at priorities and what is more powerful and what do I need to manipulate the most. I don't want to start complicating this reply here; but my mind would work the same way when it comes to two anabolic hormones, namely testosterone and HGH during training and how the volume and intensity affect both differently.

Like I said, I do not wish to complicate the issue, so I'll leave it here for now since caffeine was my main concern here.

5am:preWO
2 Multi vit tabs.............there maybe too much of something in here. It's hard to say without knowing the content.
5g L-Carnatine..............1g is all you need and is best stopped over the weekend since L-Carnitine accumelates over time.
1 green tea tab...............Too much caffeine for me at this time. A double edged sword most definetly, but I want insulin to work its magic on cortisol without any hindrece coming from caffeine.
3 AMP tabs....................? If it has caffeine, then see above.
2g glutamine
2g Lucine
5g taurine
100mg VitC
100mg VitE
PwoShake

8:amPWO
5g glutamine...............2g
2g Lucine
5g creatine.................2.5g (the other 2.5g before training)
5g Beta alanine............3g and as for L-Carnitine, stop over the weekends.
Pwo meal

5pmPWO
1 Ginseng tab............... keep like that and make sure no caffeine here or you'll risk kicking your CNS in the guts!
2 BCAA tab

7pmPWO
Meal
1 tab Vit B
1 tab Vit C
1 tab calcium.................add 1 of the magnesium tablet here please.
1 tab zinc.......................drop the zinc when taking calcium or protein pwder. Have it at other times with magnesium.
2 glucosamine tab
10pm
Shake....................... defenitely 1 mag here...defenitly. I want you to have a restful sleep and at the same time want the calcium that comes from the shake to be fully absorbed with the aid of the magnesium.

I'll leave it here Daniel. Look at what I've done and adjust accordingly if need be.

Fadi.

hey Fadi can you please recommend something supp wise for me such as vitamins etc. i just use a multi vit, but i feel run down though i get ample sleep. some thing to pep me up.

Modo, just 100mg of vitamin C and E before and after training, in addition to 30mg of co-enzyme Q10 taken with breakfast. I don't want you to complicate it mate.

Another 1g of vitamin C divided into 4 and taken throughout the day. I'd buy the Cenovis brand (500mg Vit C) since it's the best tasting. Have it like I've suggested above. Thank you for your time Modo.

Fadi.

Im not a lady im still a girl =D
burpee ? hmm i have in taekwondo about 2 years ago its bloody tireing.
ok thanks i will look into youtube to see proper technique for the above.
height- 172cm
weight-67kg
i eat almost anything when im hungry, & activity level = minimum.
ill tell you the story briefly, i used to do heaps of exercises( never weights ) & watch my diet, but after i had an ACL injury i was out for 8 months & since then its gone.... nowhere i guess lol
i really want to get my fitness back!! something pulled me to bodybuilding which i never thought of before =S
since you all are very accepting i might stick by it =) wiiiiiiiiiiii hihi
if i loose fat wont my weight go down ?? im confused

Mmmm, interesting comment Sally. So when does a girl become a lady then, do you know?:)

And yes if you lose fat your bodyweight will go down. No need for any confusion.

Fadi.

i dont know, whenever their mature enough :| or only if their british
wat nationality are you ?