• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exertion Headaches

so a few of the guys who were at stickys huose over the weekedn know I got a exertion headache whislt doing the UDL's.
I had a rest yesterday and trained again tongiht at my mates.. we did heavy squats I was fine then did heavy bench and on my 5th rep bang shapr stabbing pain in my head big time throbbing uncontrollable pain..
So im getting a bit worried now.. Is this somthing I shoudl go to the doctor immediately to rule out any possible rupture and blood getting into my brain ?
Or gvie it a few days complete rest and then have another big session?

Also has anyone had expierience with this and give any advice?

i had similar about a year ago. The pain was excruciating. I took 10 days off with no exercise, went back to training and it was still there. I was worried, especially when the dr ordered me to have a ct scan of brain. that came back clear so she suggested physio. turns out it was nerve/muscular problem in my neck. maybe try that route?

Bro go to the doctor asap!! that is somthing you do not want to procrastinating over. With bleeding on the brain you willl go to sleep and not wake up. Im not trying to scare you but it could be serious.

went and saw a doc yesterday arvo... blood pressure is fine... im getting a Cat scan today as I still have issues ... F**ck this is BullS***T the body is in perfect condition and now somthing stupid like this is going to stop me training.

I had that doing 20 rep squats. Had a deep tissue massage, mostly around the traps, shoulders and neck. Slept more for a couple of days. Problem solved. Just a nerve / muscle knot problem in the traps & neck in my case.

Last edited:
yep thanks for the advice dancer.. I have been told massage may help so ill be going to a physio ASAP to get a deep tissue massage around these areas. As I cant afford to have more then a week off otherwise it will stuff my program for pro raw.

No worries, hope that'll fix it for you. That one really pissed me off too as I was making good progress at the time and didn't want to stop, but couldn't train properly as whenever I lifted something heavy, my head would feel like exploding and getting stabbed at the same time.

i reckon the physio will sort it for you. to give you the heads up, when you get the CT scan theyll inject a dye and itll make you feel like youve pissed yrself lol

I stop, wait for it to go away and then get back to work and hope it doesn't come back, but it often does.

Last edited:
Saw my chiro mate yesterday. He pushed a few buttons and its pretty much gone today. It's definately a muscle/nerve thing specific to that movement. Hell, I was pulling up my pants the other day (same sort of movement as UDL) and it felt like my head was going to explode.

Last edited:
I've had exertion headaches from bench pressing, leg pressing, squatting, even heavy curling. Its always been when working at high reps.

Is it to do with oxygen or blood starvation to the brain cos it's all going to the muscle type of thing anyone reckon? When I was fit it never used to hit me this bad. In the last 2 years my cholesterol has doubled and I definitely feel it more now *pukes* lol

Is it to do with oxygen or blood starvation to the brain cos it's all going to the muscle type of thing anyone reckon? When I was fit it never used to hit me this bad. In the last 2 years my cholesterol has doubled and I definitely feel it more now *pukes* lol

If that is the case (no oxygen for the brain)...

Gingko ftw!

so I had a cat scan wednesday.. all good.. still got a head ache thursday when i TRIED to go heavy.. Saw a chiro today and he pushed a few things straightened my spine. Ill try work up to 75-80% tomorrow and monday then have a 95% effort on wednesday and hopefully it doesnt come back.

I also got an exersion headache doing 20 rep squats, as others have posted:
my head felt like it was going to pop
after resting it backed off, but as soon as I tried anything bang it was back again. was like an instant migrane, i had light aversion, and dizzyness aswell
my ct also showed no issues
massage didnt help a hell of a lot
took me 2 weeks before i could relly push myself again

My doc said it was probably due to the bar sitting on a nerve or vein that drains blood from your head, your heart pumps like a bitch and forces teh blood up there, but because of the bar position, or overly tensed muscles it reduces the bodies ability to drain blood from the head, My doc said it had something to do with the "circle of willis" basically a common blood vessel that links most of the ins and outs

Rest was the only thing that helped me in the end..