• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheapest gym flooring

cksa361

How much would the cheapest gym flooring be? And where would i get it? Doesn't have to be good quality, can be dodgy / second hand --> after all, it's just going into my garage gym.

Thanks.

EDIT: bumper plates are going to be dropped on them...from overhead.

Last edited:
I like the commercial ones from gymdirect. Better off paying an extra $10 and NOT getting cheap ones - after all, its going into your garage gym and bumper plates are going to be dropped on them...from overhead.

My gym is in my garage and I have an old piece of carpet as my flooring. Being a tradesmen I had easy access to old, decent carpet.

yep old carpet and plywood makes up my gym floor but mainly because my dogs would tear shit out of any rubber flooring i put down

Even look at making you own olympic lifting platform. I ended up getting everything from bunnings for 8 foot x 8 foot platform.
Included about 5x sheets of 1.2 x 2.4 ply, some 25mm thick pine and all the screw for about $350.

The I purchased some rubber to cut up for the sides and did the rest of the room with economy rubber for about $30 per square metre!

Even look at making you own olympic lifting platform. I ended up getting everything from bunnings for 8 foot x 8 foot platform.
Included about 5x sheets of 1.2 x 2.4 ply, some 25mm thick pine and all the screw for about $350.

The I purchased some rubber to cut up for the sides and did the rest of the room with economy rubber for about $30 per square metre!

Interesting . . .

May have to do something similar myself in the future.

Heya, been reading for a while, but decided to log in to post my experience.

I hunted around for ages, and ended up with Gym Rubber from a place called Carpet Tiles 1 in Marrickville NSW

Its the same stuff that gymdirect has but was cheaper. They also ship it really cheap anywhere you want to, so was a great option for me, or you can pick it up from them in Marrickville.

I got mine on ebay from them for $30 per square metre, but they also have their own website I found out afterwards.

Hope that helps.

If you're in Melb, i've got what you need. I've sold 10sq, got 10 left which i'm listing on eBay soon.

Check the for sale forum. It's the real deal, I paid premium for it.

Cheers,
Sam

Got mine from Gym Direct, my old man got me 12m squared as an Xmas presy. Also remember you get a discount from Gym Direct if you are a member here, so mine worked out to be $27 a meter from memory.

Bumping an old thread..... I have carpet in my gym but want to lay another type of flooring on top.
I don't want to pull up the carpet because its brand new, I don't want a trip hazard either. My deadlifts have come up to 90kgs and dropping this weight onto the house foundation I'm sure is not healthy.
Would it be suitable to lay rubber or better to build a lifting platform where I deadlift?

I was about to start a thread about the place I'm getting my rubber flooring from, full commercial and cheaper than the usual places. Plus it's 25mm thick instead of 10-15.

here's the link:
Retail Rubber Sales Enquiries Fairmont Polymers

for reference there's a sale on at the moment, 1mby1m 25mm thick tiles are $38 and 50mm thick are $45.
You could always try using the rubber by itself and see if you want to build the platform, as you'll need the rubber anyway.

I bought my Gym flooring from 366 Edgar Street in Condell park, you can buy as little or as much as you like, I bought two mats and made a lifting platform with ply bought from Bunnings, best thing I made well worth the effort, I train on a tile floor inside the rumpus room, stops the noise as well.

I was about to start a thread about the place I'm getting my rubber flooring from, full commercial and cheaper than the usual places. Plus it's 25mm thick instead of 10-15.

here's the link:
Retail Rubber Sales Enquiries Fairmont Polymers

for reference there's a sale on at the moment, 1mby1m 25mm thick tiles are $38 and 50mm thick are $45.
You could always try using the rubber by itself and see if you want to build the platform, as you'll need the rubber anyway.

I live near here:)

Here is my original post on this:

Completed all my shopping for the Lifting Platform today:)

MATERIALS LIST:

2x 1m x 1m x 15mm rubber gym mats COST$52 for both.

1x 2400mm x 1200mm x 17mm structural plywood COST $66

1x 1200mm x 12000mm x 17mm structural plywood COST $49 (some places may not sell half sheets my Bunnings did)

1x pack of counter sunk timber screws 30mm long COST $2

1x pack of counter sunk timber screws 40mm long COST $4

9 meters of 42mm x 12mm pine COST $20

TOTAL FOR ALL MATERIALS $195 (much less than my original estimate of $200-350:))

You will also need some quality wood glue or liquid nails, I already had this, if I did not have it already I would just use a tube of liquid nails, it will only cost about $3-4, you could also need some paint if you want to pretty it up, and I also had some paint left over from some house reno I did a while back.

Get the large sheet of ply cut to 2000mm x 1000mm exactly.

Get the small piece of ply cut into two pieces 1000mm x 600mm exactly.

It's easier to get this done in the shop, and my local Bunnings did this for free, some will charge 50 cents to $1 per cut, but would still be well worth it.

Take it all home and assemble as per the photos, sorry about the not so great quality of photos, but these were taken with my 3 year old original issue iPhone (yes it's still going after all these years:eek:)

The picture should tell a thousand words, so will not be typing too much more, just follow the photos, will add some tips and things to look out for along the way.

The materials brought home:
IMG_1052.jpg

The tools I used:
IMG_1057.jpg

Pre drilling the the holes and gluing and screwing the braces on the back of the 1000mm x 600mm pieces, these are where the weights will be resting/dropped/slammed on, use the 30mm screws to secure them, the middle supports are just glued, no need for screws. The air space under the platform will give some springiness to where the weights will be slammed, as such absorbing and spreading out the impact of the weights over the whole area:
IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

The top area:

IMG_1063.jpg

The underside:

IMG_1064.jpg

Marking and pre drilling the 2000mm x 1000mm base, to where our weight support areas will attach, again glue and screw, and use the 40mm screws from underneath, so that you securely join all three pieces together. it is important to pre drill the part where the screw goes through, so it can pull the other part in tight, and it will also prevent the timber from splitting. It's also a good idea to counter sink all the holes for the same reason, as you want all screw heads to be flush or below the timber surface:

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

Flip it over and it should look like this, all you need to do now is cut and attach the rubber mats to the top and you are ready for action:

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

If you like you can put another thinner piece in the middle, or you could even make the whole thing level, but that is not what I wanted, that is up to you. If I had a garage Gym I would not worry too much about making in any more pretty, I will however be painting the edges up tomorrow with some black paint to make it look better as it will be going inside the house.

If you want to further soften the blow when using the platform you could always glue some carpet, carpet underlay or 2-5mm rubber sheeting to the bottom of the platform, but I do not think I will bother at this stage.

You can obviously make the platform bigger if you like to suit your personal requirements, I would not really make it any smaller, as this is about as compact as you can get for using a 1800-2000mm bar, and I made it that size as that is all the space I have to put the platform in. For most home gyms or personal training gyms this would be quite adequate in size, I can not see any point in making it any bigger,

Will take some more photos when I get a chance to complete the platform, the rest will only be about making it look pretty :)