• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheapest gym flooring

Here is the finished product:

Been a busy boy, all done now and looking good!!!!!!!

Here is the platform getting painted up using some left over paint, I propped it off the ground with some weight plates, to stop paint getting on the floor:
100_6852.jpg

Here is is all done ready for business, I cut the mats with a sharp pocket knife and screwed them into place with 30mm long screws:
100_6856.jpg

Have fun building your own, it's well worth the effort, I loved training on it for the first time, and things will only get better from here!!!

ordinary particleboard from timber supplier, 3 layers, each layer with the grain at 90 angles to the previous layer, screwed together.

glue on marine carpet.

Simple

This is basically how the powerlifting platforms are put together.

this is STRONG and IMO way better than rubber. The strength comes from the overlapping grains. It shouldn't crack even with 400kg dropped deadlifts.

That rubber stuff comes off and goes everywhere. Rubber is also no good for powerlifting. Your deadlifts bounce too much, which makes it very difficult to do proper touch and go deadlifts without cheating - you have to actively dampen the bounce before going again which wastes energy and destroys stretch reflex.

I have a concrete slab and I just bought 2 squares of 1m squared rubber flooring and lay them where the plates are going to fall. Done

@Deep: Make a platform or buy one, your deads are only gonna get heavier

@BigMick: Your platform rocks man! I love the design.

@Pistol: Be careful pistol, that thick tile polymer rubber is considerably softer than regular gym flooring rubber. I know this as I got it installed around the playground in the Holiday Park I managed for many years. Still good stuff, but may be a bit spongy for lifting IMO. Make sure you check it out and stand on it first before a purchase, than imagine twice the weight on it, if its still good go for it. If your only going to use it for dumping your plates on when on the platform, it would be fine IMO.

@Gunner: Simple yet effective mate........just my style, I started with 2x50cm squared pieces LOL, and it worked just fine.

Thanks mate, I have been there and checked out their different tiles and the gym tiles don't seem to be soft. Well they better not be as I've just ordered a shed full!

They have a large range of different tiles for different applications with different hardness.

@

@Pistol: Be careful pistol, that thick tile polymer rubber is considerably softer than regular gym flooring rubber. I know this as I got it installed around the playground in the Holiday Park I managed for many years. Still good stuff, but may be a bit spongy for lifting IMO. Make sure you check it out and stand on it first before a purchase, than imagine twice the weight on it, if its still good go for it. If your only going to use it for dumping your plates on when on the platform, it would be fine IMO.

@Gunner: Simple yet effective mate........just my style, I started with 2x50cm squared pieces LOL, and it worked just fine.