• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stretching

Depending on whether there is a chronic tightness issue I would not recommend static stretching for anyone and only recommend it after some soft tissue work.

Dynamic stretching is best which is basically the same as using your exercises to stretch. Difference are you get a bit more ROM with the dynamic stretches and can work different muscles. Joint mobility is key to me. The video posted is not a bad example. Magnificent mobility by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey is pretty good.

i have flexibility issues with my lower back/hammies/hips, if i dont stretch i end up in bed for a week. a case of horses for courses maybe.

What about the rest of the professional athletes who stretch before games, who are advised by top exercise coaches with degrees in sport and human movement. Are they getting it wrong?

I suppose at the end of the day it is a personal preference!

Ah mate that is uneducated head coaches telling people to stretch before working out. Top exercise scientists know stretching decreases force production it is taught in universities. Some older s&c coaches may still be stuck in the old static stretching is good train if thought but they are the minority.

Since Max was 6 and started playing sport, I have had to instruct his coaches that Max is never to stretch, ever.

Kevin Bartlett played 402 AFL games, couldnt touch his toes, never did a hammy.

Andy has got this right.

Dr Mauro Di Pasquale has an interesting article on why stretching is a bad idea, before, during and after training.

Any stretching before training, that is outside the exercise ROM can create micro tears and loose joints

Stretching does not reduce soreness.

Empty bar exercises should be your warm up, no need to go beyond the ROM.

For the record, Max has played around 600 games of soccer, basketball and cricket without a single soft tissue injury, ever. He has never pulled a muscle in the gym either.

He cant touch his toes. Either can his dad. Or his brother.

I don't feel so alone now.

I don't stretch much, but I find that my glutes and hammies are super tight
But as soon as I start to get warmed up, like squatting etc. then my flexibility goes from none to PWOAH!!

P.S. I like to freak out my friends by putting my foot on their shoulder then get them to push it to the wall behind me. I get the "WTF" every time!! (after my core temp. is raised)

I never stretch for sport or exercise, only weights, and I have never had any injuries whatsoever.

Ive heard its not good to stretch before warming up and it could lead to injury..

I'm just going to warm up and skip the stretches next time I lift and see how it feels.

Ah mate that is uneducated head coaches telling people to stretch before working out. Top exercise scientists know stretching decreases force production it is taught in universities. Some older s&c coaches may still be stuck in the old static stretching is good train if thought but they are the minority.
I suspect it is just a thing that is past down from coach to coach, without much thinking about the pro's and con's, just doing it because it has been done for years.

Not saying stretching is right or wrong, its a big issue. Ironically, alot of stretching talk came out of last weeks ASCA conference. I also have enjoyed Ian Kings recent stuff where he discusses stretching is unpopular because you can't make money off it. Pretty much spot on with the stuff out of the US.

There are two reasons why athletes stretching before games. Firstly, the power output argument is supported by science, but they are talking 'serious' stretching. Not 2-3 x 10-20s. Also remember some muscles you actually want weaker.

The other side, and I actually think more important, imagine telling a player who has stretched before every game his whole life that he can no longer stretch. With almost 100% certainty you can predict he will 're-injure' something. There is a massive mental side, especially with younger athletes 15-21.

I do some warm ups and then stretch (5-10 secs) what feels tight. usually traps and hip flexors

Last edited:
Buckley most likely had an either previous injury that was very bad and severly weakened his hamstring (too much scar tissue) and that injury probably came due to being too weak. No amount of stretching or strengthening would save him from early retirement in that case though adequate mobility and strength would have prolonged his career. Being super flexible is useless unless your a gymnast.

I stretch but not in the conventional way.

Because of the sloth like desk job my hips/glutes/lwr back get tight as hell. I'm constantly stretching them to stay mobile. When I didn't for a few day, hammy went. Got it all massaged/manipulated out and its all good. Should even be deadlfting at the DL comp.

Also I'm starting stretching on my shoulders, it makes a huge difference to my shoulder pain when benching. Again it makes huge difference, i really notice when i dont do it. See the below dragon door article for more on this view, or if you get pain when benching.

A New Component to Rotator Cuff Care: A Conditioning: Tactical and Martial Arts article from Dragon Door Publications

Essentilally I agree with Markos in that you dont need more mobility than what your activity requires.

But also things like too much bench or a sedentary job can lead to tightness that regular strectching can help reduce.

My 2c

So should i skip static stretching (do this about 4 times a week) and switch to dynamic stretching. I find my back is tight and my hamstrings very tight. I stretch after workouts.

I warm up on the bike for 10 mins and then stretch the shit outta my groin, hammies, glutes, quads and lower back spending about 15 mins. Then i usually do about 20 squats with a broomstick and i do this before EVERY session.

I have super tight glutes/hammies and even lower back and if i try and squat before stretching i cant even get to parallel.

My glutes are getting to the stage where i cant walk properly in the morning on the way to the bus. I cant take "normal" length strides without pain. :(

I stretch but only slightly before training. My hamstrings used to give me difficulty as a child so once I'm finished I go for hell on them touching my toes, getting my butt against a door frame etc...

I never stretch, warm up with an empty barbell and maybe do 30 seconds of skipping first.

I can still touch my toes easily though.