• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chest question shorter arms = higher lifts?

TrentZor

So I was talking to a dude who Trains powerlifts for awhile. He said his bench was behind mine because his arms are longer?? And myself having shorter arms gives me and advantage?

So in theory if u got two guys with same exp bodyweight. Their reach would determine lifts??

Yes and no, because there are a lot of other factors that determine leverages (eg arch, chest height, tricep mass, humerus/radius etc)

Their reach wouldn't determin the lifts, but the guy with longer arms definately has to push the weight further if grip width is the same. So in that sense, having shorter arms could be a good advantage.
My coach used to tell me to bring a chainsaw to training so he could "make an adjustment" because I have long and skinny arms :D.
Longer arms can help with the deadlift though. So in a 3 lift, things could even out a bit.

Last edited:
So I was talking to a dude who Trains powerlifts for awhile. He said his bench was behind mine because his arms are longer?? And myself having shorter arms gives me and advantage?

So in theory if u got two guys with same exp bodyweight. Their reach would determine lifts??
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think PTC pointed out a while ago, that alot of the big lifters in the world of powerlifting have been tall, which means longer arms then shorter competitors?

Having longer arms means your ROM is larger so you have to push the bar further to lockout than someone with shorter arms..

I have a friend who is alot shorter than me and his arms are alot shorter, he has a strong bench and pushes almost as much as me even though he's been training for considerably less time than me.

Most of the successful pro bodybuilders are around 5'8 with a few exceptions, im not sure about powerlifters though.

Alot of people use it as an excuse.. but I use it as an excuse to train harder.

The person with the longer arms will find it difficult to move x amount of weight compared to someone with shorter arms, but all things being equal that person with the longer arms will be stronger as he is required to push a lot further.

While i do agree longer arms = larger ROM but, surely you can't use it as an excuse because your behind someone, Strong is Strong, no excuses?

Do the things you can change.

wouldnt people just adjust their grip distance to compensate? or is there rules to this sort of thing?
Just do what you feel is comfortable

wouldnt people just adjust their grip distance to compensate? or is there rules to this sort of thing?
Just do what you feel is comfortable

To an extent. There are rules about how wide grip can be (83cm max), not only that but a wide grip generally isn't as safe as a conventional.

its basic leverages right? Hold a weight at arms length then hold the same weight closer to your body. Makes a difference right? The distance from shoulder to elbow for bench and hip to knee in squat does have a significant impact on your ability to move weight. Its not the only factor, but it is significant. With powerlifting, however, what you gain from short arms in bench you lose in deadlift. The Russians advocate experimenting with stances and grips to find the right technique for your specific lever lengths- since two people are different it makes sense that they will lift differently.

Last edited:
I'd say steve's arms are about the right length for someone of his height..however he is as thick through the chest/upper back as I am wide which also shortens the stroke...