• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The best grip for deadlifts?

I normally only use both hands over the bar, as I don't any real problems 99% of the time. However if I do I will swap to left over and right under, if I do it the otherway I can't even get 140kg off the ground.

Sounds bicep tearingly interesting infact.

Go with how you feel is most comfortable, though I will reccommend double overhand grip, just to build your grip strength. Use that 'till you can't physically hold the bar and lock out, then switch grip if you must.

Double overhand should be fine for anything 160kg~ and under. It all depends on you though.

i use double overhand for SLDL and mixed for normal.

Stuff lifting 150kg plus using double overhand.:p

Sounds bicep tearingly interesting infact.

Go with how you feel is most comfortable, though I will reccommend double overhand grip, just to build your grip strength. Use that 'till you can't physically hold the bar and lock out, then switch grip if you must.

Double overhand should be fine for anything 160kg~ and under. It all depends on you though.

How important is it to improve my grip stength mate? Are there any negatives to a switch grip or overhand grip?

Thanks in advance

Okay Mick. Basically you want to have even grip development because one arm being stronger than the other may, at extreme athletic levels cause bicep issues, which is why a lot of people suggest a neutral grip.

PROBLEM IS your brain is hardwired so that anything the back can't lift (or thinks it can't lift) your hands can't grip. A bizarre form of neurological feedback yeah, but basically when you suplinate (use an underhand grip) one hand this response is interupted.

Now, what you want to do is work both. What people are suggesting to you is that you use a neutral grip as you work up as high as possible to balance out grip development. However, like any other strength feat your grip too requires rest. Thats why I only like to use a double overhand for my warm ups and anything else a mixed grip so grip wont interfere with my training.

Oli's way is best.

If you want to improve your grip AFTER your regular deadlifts, use a clean grip and see how high you can go.

Alen used one hand only tonight on 100kg deadlifts.

Okay Mick. Basically you want to have even grip development because one arm being stronger than the other may, at extreme athletic levels cause bicep issues, which is why a lot of people suggest a neutral grip.

PROBLEM IS your brain is hardwired so that anything the back can't lift (or thinks it can't lift) your hands can't grip. A bizarre form of neurological feedback yeah, but basically when you suplinate (use an underhand grip) one hand this response is interupted.

Now, what you want to do is work both. What people are suggesting to you is that you use a neutral grip as you work up as high as possible to balance out grip development. However, like any other strength feat your grip too requires rest. Thats why I only like to use a double overhand for my warm ups and anything else a mixed grip so grip wont interfere with my training.

I might use a neutral grip until I can't move up in weight then change. For example this week I struggled to complete my 10 reps and only got 8 out so I will use a mixed grip to try and improve and make the 10 so I can move up weight. Once I'm up I'll move back to neutral for the next session until I again can't lift the required reps.

You like that idea? I means I would be working both grips

I might use a neutral grip until I can't move up in weight then change. For example this week I struggled to complete my 10 reps and only got 8 out so I will use a mixed grip to try and improve and make the 10 so I can move up weight. Once I'm up I'll move back to neutral for the next session until I again can't lift the required reps.

You like that idea? I means I would be working both grips

Well the thing is then you're working your grip at the expense of everything else.

Just use a double overhand for your warm ups and a mixed grip for everything else. You won't have a bicep tear if your deadlift has a 1 in front of it i promise.

That is really cool. I had no idea lol. Cheers man.