• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

military press

CoMarsh

Is it normal to feel compression at the spine whilst doing military press? Cause When I do mine I tend to have a curve on my back, basically having my spine supporting my form.

I prefer to press before I squat.

I don't know at what point you press in your workout, but it's advisable to do this when the muscles of the back are fresh.

Your form is the issue.

At the top, the bar should be directly over your ears, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles.

As the bar clears your face, stick your head in the hole, and dont look up at the bar

I disagree.. yeah its fine with light weights but when you start pumping heavy you need a bench with back support

Doing presses seated adds more compressive force to the spine.l

The only back support you should have is the support created by the muscles around the spine.

I disagree

Well it helps for me being bigger then most people (137kgs) just feels more comfortable . Plus I can press more seated and am less inclined to cheat my turning it into a push press.

I don't realy care what other people do it works for me.

There has been evidence presented that its much safer to press standing up.

Having said that, I pressed seated for over a decade with no issues, and around 7 years standing up with no issues.

Hey markos, I've tried it and yeah it felt much better, thanks for that cause I had the bar infront of me not above my ears shoulder, hips and legs. Thanks for that!

There has been evidence presented that its much safer to press standing up.

Having said that, I pressed seated for over a decade with no issues, and around 7 years standing up with no issues.

Hey Markos, could you please elaborate on why its safer pressing standing up? Would it be the compression on the spine more?

Thanks

I press with the bar close to my face and put my head in the hole. The further its away from my face the harder and heavier it gets. Never tried pressing whilst sitting down, I prefer it standing up.

I cant do seated MP its fucked my back goes all weird arches and just isnt safe.. Plus if you fail wtf do you do?

Hey Markos, could you please elaborate on why its safer pressing standing up? Would it be the compression on the spine more?

Thanks

The force in the standing press dissapates through the hip, thigh and legs.
Done seated, most force ends at the hip.

One or the other is not safer, all exercises are safe if performed correctly, the standing press in my opinion is far more productive.

Is it normal to feel compression at the spine whilst doing military press? Cause When I do mine I tend to have a curve on my back, basically having my spine supporting my form.

Have a good look at this photo, I chose it for a reason.

01_vardanyan.jpg

First let me introduce this powerhouse of a man to you since he takes me back and brings good memories.

He is Yuri Vardanyan; the most dominant weightlifter in the world in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He set 42 world records. Great, so apart from all of that (if that was not enough), what makes him unique in the sport of weightlifting and why have I chosen him to make my point in answering your question?

If you look quickly at the above photo, you would mistake his jerk action for what we call in weightlifting a power jerk. That is when you jerk a weight above your head without using the split of the legs. Yuri had such a short split, barely moving one of his legs forward and thrusting the weight above head in front as to defy the laws of physics made him one of a kind in the sport.

Yuri would not be someone you used as an example to demonstrate a jerking technique to a new comer to the sport.

Okay, now to answer your question. I have personally found that if I performed my military presses by placing one foot forward about 2 feet's length (instead of my usual 4 feet as when jerking a weight), I could add great stability to my whole back area and prevent it from arching as you have mentioned.

Yuri? Well, he was just icing on the reply to your question :)!

Fadi.

Last edited: