• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Off Season, Preseason and Regular Season (Football) Wieghts and Nutrition

robbo14

Should excercises and/or reps and sets be altered according to what part of the season were at?

Obviously more conditioning and cardio is done during Preseason

Should I work on explosive movements just before the season starts?

Nutrition changes during the year?

Goals; Faster, Bigger, Stronger and increases vertical jump...

Sry for lack of post at work
Posted via Mobile Device

Using an example of a Rugby season

post season = rest

offseason = bulk - low reps high weights

pre season = power/speed - Sprints and long distance runs, mostly conditioning

inseason = maintenance/skill - not trying to make gains here, just maintain what has been gotten from the offseason, working on game skills i.e tackling/set plays whatever

Correct me if I'm wrong?

It's about the ability to recover. It depends on how often you train and play too.

So you would want I put up games, avg game time, what you do in training etc.

If you play and train a lot (and can't get out of lots of steady state running at training) you will being pretty much maintaining strength during the season.

Markos is big on football he can help you out more.

Since it is offseason now though you wan to get as strong and powerful as you can, keep up your conditioning and limit long runs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Training for an hour and a half two nights a week...
Posted via Mobile Device

Need a lot more info than that. Go into detail on what you do in a session and what you do out of a session.

Also personal info: current strength, current perceived endurance level, previous training, playing position etc
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry mate just go home so i can give more in Detail...

M|180CM|85Kg|20 Years old...

Match days consist of 4x 25min Quaters

Every Session varies but will include 10-15 min warm up (stretches and running) Followed by 30-45 Mins of conditioning work ( i.e 400, 200, 100m runs, core work, beep test) Then approx 45 min of skills which involves running.

Well that's your conditioning covered. Don't do anymore outside of training like other guys who go jogging.

I still dont know how much you can lift but You may like Markos' AAA program, it will cost you 20 but he puts a lot of effort into his programs.

Also what level of footy do you play?
Posted via Mobile Device

SANFL for the last 4 Years, first year out side.
Learned more from forums like this then them...

I was just gonna use Beginners program but ill checkout the AAA program...

Dont no my lifts as ive only done Bodyweight and a few isolates, only in gym for 3 montsh, will Start a diary soon.

Got my plates and 7 Ft Barbell that is Fu CKinG HUGE, soo ill start on the weekend or monday. The gym will be out side under cover so i have to move a few things first

Do you have a power rack?

If you haven't lifted before then something like Markos beginners program or starting strength will be good for you. If you are not to bad at learning without a coach (not all can) you could do something else. Basically right now i believe you would benefit most from just lifting heavy and hard 3 to 4 nights a week. Squatting, deadlifting (and variants), military press, bench press, power cleans, push presses, dumbbell snatches. Linear progression every session. Basically you are setting yourself up this season for later on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not ATM, as im making my own :D, Steel will cost me below $200, I manufacture Alluminium scaffold so im confident about the end result.

I was doing split program with my dad for 3 months during preseason in 2007, put on 7KG+, running 100m under 11.5 sec... Then 3 months The following year...

Im a really hard worker, if you've made it to the gym or oval, make sure you get something out of it...

Mentally i always think you can do 1 more rep even though you physically cant...

With any new exercise, I make sure correct technique is used... I abuse blokes not doing push ups properly as THEY ARE WASTING THEIR TIME...

The PPP might be more suitable in the off season but i cant find any info about it, then switch to AAA when Pre season begins... Hopefully Markos comes

I forgot to mention that I'll be over seas for 3 week over Christmas...

Be interesting how thi alters my plan
Posted via Mobile Device

Until you know how strong you can not really choose a program. But I would think you are still a beginner and something like starting strength and some barbell complexes for muscular endurance would do you well in the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daves advice is spot on.

You have limited resources, pick up heavy shit and press it overhead.

When you get a rack, do lots of squats.

Squats coupled with the clean and press will cover your needs for now.

You can front squat till you get a rack.

Vary the reps and sets, between 5 and 10, for both sets and reps

Before this is done let's have a look at metabolic conditioning.

If you believe your muscles, heart and lungs are in pretty good shape, I challenge people to consider this series of metabolic- tasking exercises.

But first let's examine the number one problem in footy.
Most agree the total conditioning for footy should include activities for cardiovascular endurance, joint flexibility and muscular strength.
This is usually accomplished in the following way;
Cardio endurance, long distance running
Joint flexibility, calisthenics, buddy type stretching
Muscular strength, weight training

Footy players who desired a high level of conditioning during the off season will spend 30 minutes or more in each of these three areas, or at least 90 minutes per day day.
The combined regimen might be repeated three to six times a week.

Such a long program is likely to leave a player in a state of overtraining, their bodies devitalised, rundown, and in need of rest.
Progress, if it occurs will be slow at best

If such an exhausting program is coupled with football practice during the season, the results will be counterproductive.
Thus coaches usually reduce the time spent on conditioning activities during the the season.

This is good and bad.
It's good because it allows time for the players to recover practice.
Bad, because players indurence, flexibility and strength must be taxed twice a week or these levels will be reduced significantly.
Caches have a major conditioning problem, they must build their athletes cardio endurance, flexibility, and muscular strength and at the same time practice playing football.
But theta still must allow their players ample time to rest, recover and overcompensate.

There is a solution, if you're interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm interested? I was doing pre season training 2 times a week and a 5x5 routine 3 time a week last year. By the time the games had arrived I had managed to completly run myself down and contract glandular fever.

I like weights more then football so I made a choice. I'll quit football, rest up and get back to the weights as soon as possible. I know it isn't possible to bulk during preseason and season as I always cut down to 10-12%bf without even trying.

So where is the balance? It become a five day week with only rest in the weekends then during the season it's a six day week. Do you just drop the gym sessions and let your weights suffer?
Posted via Mobile Device

I play Full Forward rotating on the ball so i need to maintain speed

Full forward is all about speed and acceleration. I believe you mean you need to keep up your endurance so you can run faster longer for the on the ball work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Key position like FF CHF etc are usually strong bodies, as there are more 1 on 1 contest..

In my Case I have a good size how ever my explosiness and speed are my strengths, I play FF as it's hard for a team to match up...

I want to maintain or improve speed while increasing strength/power

So for the time being stick with

Front squat
Military press
Barbell deadlifts
Barbell Curls
+ Abs

Changed when rack is finished to;
Squat
Miltary Press
Deadlifts
BB curls