• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tuna mercury levels

unt0uchable

Man sues over 'poisoning' from tuna cans | Herald Sun

Recommendation of 140g of tuna a week. I eat more than 2 times this amount everyday. Thats 2.1kg of tuna a week, 15 times the recommended amount!

I assume the majority of you guys eat a crapload of tuna.

Is anyone as concerned about this as me?
Anyone on here had experiences with mercury poisoning/developed symptons after extended periods of time?

I like tuna too much to cut it down :(

Have you tried eating smaller fish? Im sure this was discussed on outofcontrols thread after she preferred to eat biscuits instead of tuna because tuna had mercury in it. I eat 200g a day... I also know people who drink and smoke everyday. Mercury is the least of this societies problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I remember excess mecury will set off alarms in your body such as high liver enzymes etc.

The chances are; other things will negatively effect you more than what mecury would such as alcohol etc...

Just have a regular blood test if you are so worried...

Or take milk thistle ;)

Recommendation of 140g of tuna a week. I eat more than 2 times this amount everyday. Thats 2.1kg of tuna a week, 15 times the recommended amount!

I assume the majority of you guys eat a crapload of tuna.

Is anyone as concerned about this as me?
Anyone on here had experiences with mercury poisoning/developed symptons after extended periods of time?

I like tuna too much to cut it down :(

Personally I am not concerned, but if you are why not go and get your mercury levels checked to see where they are at? No point fretting about something that in all likelihood is amounting to nothing....

Man. Michael (180sx_Kid) is in for a world of hurt if this was actually serious. :p

I've eaten close to 400g~ of canned Tuna daily for a few years now, I've also had atleast 4 blood tests done in this time, with none showing any problems what so ever.

I asked my doctor to test me for heavy metals. He said the current tests are unreliable so there was no point.

I have decided to treat myself as if i have the poisoning anyway and have started taking garlic pills. They help I will look into other natural methods to remove metals. If anyone knows any cheap ways to remove aliminum le me know as i have been exposed to that for all my life and without a doubt have it in my system.

I asked my doctor to test me for heavy metals. He said the current tests are unreliable so there was no point.

I have decided to treat myself as if i have the poisoning anyway and have started taking garlic pills. They help I will look into other natural methods to remove metals. If anyone knows any cheap ways to remove aliminum le me know as i have been exposed to that for all my life and without a doubt have it in my system.

Slap your dr...

Then order a hair mineral analysis from path labs.

Anyway alot of people with an apolipoprotein E4 genotype lack the ability to remove mercury from cells. There are tests avilabile for this...

But it is expensive and alot easier to increase minerals that compete with mercury for absorbtion.

I dont want to slap him he is trying to cure me of my ailments. When Im better ill slap him ;)

Only the body can cure anything kindred. People can only help implement changes to allow yourself to heal.

The power to heal is yours alone. The infomation on how to get there might be someone elses though.

Worry about it if you have problems..

Get yearly or bi yearly hair mineral analysis to test for possible mercury problems...

Also increase selenium intake.

Well I read some of the symptoms of mercury poisoning. I have noticed I do get more frequent headaches, blurry/fuzzy vision, mind gets a bit foggy and have some trouble remembering things.

Before i became a poor student and started eating $1 cans of tuna daily, I rarely had any of those problems. Headaches were non existent for me. Definitely getting a test. Will limit my tuna consumption until then.

Now Foods, Selenium, Yeast Free, 200 mcg, 180 Vcaps - iHerb.com
Selenium is plentiful in fish, but the public hasn't heard much about its role in the mercury puzzle. As biochemists, pharmacologists, and neurologists study this nutrient, we're gaining a better understanding of its importance.

In scientific jargon, selenium has an unusually high "binding affinity" for mercury. In layman's terms, this means that when the two elements are found together, they tend to connect, forming a new substance. This makes it difficult for the human body to absorb the mercury separately. So when mercury "binds" to selenium, it's no longer free to "bind" to anything else -- like brain tissue.

The research world is still developing explanations for exactly how selenium cancels out mercury's potentially toxic effects, but most scientists accept one of two competing theories.

The conventional idea describes selenium as a sort of "mercury magnet." Under this theory, once selenium is digested it can locate and neutralize mercury molecules. In one study, Japanese researchers found that adding selenium to the diets of birds "gave complete protection" from large amounts of mercury. Research carried out by scientists in Scotland and the Philippines has concluded that the relationship between mercury and selenium is one of "toxicological antagonism." And in the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency describes selenium as an element that is "antagonistic to the toxic effects of mercury."

The more recent selenium hypothesis holds that mercury takes a more active role in the relationship. Under this theory, when mercury enters the body it seeks out selenium and takes it out of circulation, preventing the body from creating enzymes that depend on selenium to perform their functions. Enzymes are special proteins that control the various steps in chemical reactions that make life possible. Without enough selenium-based enzymes, the functions of the brain and other organs can be affected.

While this might sound scary, problems can only occur if we don't get enough selenium to counteract the trace amounts of mercury in the fish we eat. And fish are so rich in selenium that this is not likely to happen. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has measured selenium levels in more than 1,000 commonly consumed foods, and 16 of the 25 best sources of dietary selenium are ocean fish. University of North Dakota environmental scientist Dr. Nicholas Ralston is an expert on the relationship between selenium and mercury.

Man. Michael (180sx_Kid) is in for a world of hurt if this was actually serious. :p

I've eaten close to 400g~ of canned Tuna daily for a few years now, I've also had atleast 4 blood tests done in this time, with none showing any problems what so ever.

haha yeh I prefer not to pay much attention to this stuff... at the moment I eat what 800gram to 1kg of tuna a day plus 15+ fish oil lol...

My health is perfect havent been sick for over 10 years, fit, healthy, strong..... no issues what so ever.

Ill continue to ignore this stuff and eat tuna and vegies every day for the rest of my life.

haha yeh I prefer not to pay much attention to this stuff... at the moment I eat what 800gram to 1kg of tuna a day plus 15+ fish oil lol...

My health is perfect havent been sick for over 10 years, fit, healthy, strong..... no issues what so ever.

Ill continue to ignore this stuff and eat tuna and vegies every day for the rest of my life.

Couldnt agree more. I love the stuff.
I would be more worried about quater pounders and whoppers with deep fried onions than tuna.

So whats the verdict? Tuna is a staple in my diet, so am really wondering about this.

Honestly change it up..
Sardines, mackerel, herring, and salmon..
Less heavy metals because they are lower down the food chain.
But also the UK equiv of the FDA has come out and said tuna is not a good source of PUFA's because of the rigorous cleaning and canning process..

Or even better grass fed beef..
There are a few farmers here in VIC where you can source straight from there, heaps cheaper too.. i'm sure other states have them too. No corn feed at all..