• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Insulin sensitivity

Dude we're around the same age and have similar goals to a degree and I hope I've learned something with the humongous amount of time I've spent on here.

Keep it simple. Eat lots of clean food and train heavy. You don't need to worry about insulin sensitivity unless your a diabetic. Post Workout have a fast acting carb but other than that. Eat lots and watch yourself grow.

Edit: too long and frustrating for Ifail response.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Why do you need to know? Gareer stated a very good point; keep it simple. If you need to learn about insulin sensitivity go search for it on google read the explanation and then think about why have more sensitivity would be good.

Personally insulin sensitivity is more of a health issue to me, same with high fat (not a good ratio of fats and ingestion of trans fats) diets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Personally im just getting as much info I can for the future use, im writing it in my book log. Basically im just intrested in it. I find that the more I know the better it goes.

Fair enough CoMarsh, I'm the same way, I like to understand things, so do a google search and if necessary I'll do my own and write up a basic explanation.

haha yeah fair enough, btw I remember you mentioned that you were in uni? what course are you doing? jst curious

Insulin sensitivity is not something i'd be concerned with, and as mentioned - is more of a health issue than a bodybuilding one.

To simplify:

Insulin is an anabolic hormone. After consuming CHO and even certain types of protein, insulin rises to shuttle this glucose into the musculature & liver for storage from the blood stream (known as glycogen).

As insulin rises, so does protein synthesis.

In basic terms, insulin sensitivity relates to how well your body responds to the consumption of foods that raise it. In a normal, healthy person - insulin shuttles glucose from the blood stream very efficiently. In someone with type II diabetes, also known as insulin resistance, the body struggles to lower blood sugar in the presence of insulin.

Which is why weight training is fantastic (as well as cardio) for those who suffer insulin resistance. Note that insulin does not rise during training, in fact, the opposite occurs - however, your body doesn't solely need insulin for glucose uptake - it may also be taken up via muscular contraction.

Last edited:
Yeah i'll check that out.
Im hopefully getting into uni for human nutrition next year, will share info with you guys as I learn up.

yeah will do. Im getting a 120 kg bench set soon, so im gnna be able to train more often. Do you join a local gym or do you do your work out at home?

To further go into it for muscles (but in a simple way) :

There are these Transporters called GLUT-4 (there are many GLUT transporters but this is the most important one). GLUT-4 takes glucose into the cell it works even if no insulin is present. So glucose moves into your cells constantly all day. Now when insulin is secreted it allows more GLUT-4 transporters to be available at the cell surface. So you now have many many more transporters available to transfer glucose from the blood into the cell. That is how insulin works. Now your cells, if constantly bombarded with insulin, can stop responding to insulin and stop your GLUT-4 transporters from being available. So you may then only have a little bit more than usual available. This then means that you have glucose building up in your blood to higher than normal levels. Your pancreas is going crazy trying to push out more insulin due to there still being a high presence of glucose in the blood.

Resistance training has been shown to significanty increase GLUT-4 transporter availability during and after exercise without insulin being present. So it is doing a similar job as insulin. Resistance training is now used for diabetics due to this.

Bodybuilders should have better insulin sensitivity (unless they are injecting it) due to lots of resistance training and higher muscle mass, which means more cells to take in glucose. As you can see the benefit is getting glucose into your muscles faster but as you are lifting weights it will happen anyway. Hopefully you can work out the health implications your self.
Posted via Mobile Device

The people messing with insulin are absolute nutters! One stuff up and you can be gone in 10 minutes flat. And it really is for minute gains in the scheme of things.

'Some bodybuilders foolishly risk their health for a few more pounds of muscle, and begin injecting insulin for its anabolic properties.'

My mate injects insulin, so stupid..

Yeah the broism behind substances astounds me... My mate said blah blah so im going to do this. People have no idea what they are doing. Too much , coma death... Wonderful!

Insulin can be imported into the country without a permit (go figure) but dhea is probably as bad as getting heroin..

they take it probs cause they want the advantage in competing, they take IFBB pros as examples of them not having any health problems and use them as proof.

Those pros have dr's who monitor them constantly and know what they use.
Posted via Mobile Device

if thats the case, does that mean that in moderate the drugs arn't harmful? for some reason I doubt it would be healthy at all.