• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
lol thats assuming your tempo would be identical from workout to workout.. its like saying hey hey I'm on a cut with a 200kcal calorific deficit by simply serving tucker from a smaller plate!

What if you increase precious seconds to the set but fatigue sets in earlier, or you get the sudden terrible urge to let a massive one rip halfway? Answer: let it rip while popping out of the hole for some propulsion BUT losing abit of core/sphincteral stability = precious seconds wasted = Oops, yolo :rolleyes:

The Coffee you have before your workout should force you to evacuate your Bowels before hitting the gym. I don't think I've ever had a nasty enough fart that I've had to shift my weight to one side, unless it was after a night on the piss. Discretion is the order of the day when it comes to dropping farts.

lol thats assuming your tempo would be identical from workout to workout.. its like saying hey hey I'm on a cut with a 200kcal calorific deficit by simply serving tucker from a smaller plate!

What if you increase precious seconds to the set but fatigue sets in earlier, or you get the sudden terrible urge to let a massive one rip halfway? Answer: let it rip while popping out of the hole for some propulsion BUT losing abit of core/sphincteral stability = precious seconds wasted = Oops, yolo :rolleyes:
For fuck sake, it's not an exact science, actually it's not a science at all.
It would be the same thing when counting reps, what if one workout your cadence is quicker so you use momemtum and you manage to pump out 12 reps but your goal was only 10 reps, in your mind does that mean you progressed more? Of course it doesn't.

Last edited:
Depending on the exercise like single joint movements I fatigue around or between 60~90 seconds
the multi joint, like the leg press at around 120 seconds.

It's not for everyone and to some it looks and feels really boring, but I tell you moving at a strict cadence and going into a pre-stretch to full contraction initiates every muscle fiber.

initially I thought it was a silly idea, I'm more traditional and I have trouble just remembering to count as I'm so focused on the task at hand.

at one point in my life some time ago I even just tried to not count time or reps and just go by feel, but in the long term it's hard to measure progress.

and like anything, if you are unable to measure you can't have a true result.

thr facility I'm at has clocks all over the joint all synchronized.

so if I'm on the chest press for example and if the pin is set on 232 (the is a secondary weight stack for smaller increments)
and the target is 120 minutes and I reach that comfortably at a 2-1-4 cadence then I will increase the weight to 234 for the next session and go back to 90 seconds and biuld back up.

sometimes I get stuck on a weight and can't progress, so I increase the secondary stack by 2 kg, this usually stimulates some action.

some of the weights I'm moving are pretty significant for an old bastard.

but as I said it's not for everyone, but it works.
when you've been working out for a long time you try things, and the goals are nebulous as they keep shifting.

Last edited:
For fuck sake, it's not an exact science, actually it's not a science at all.
It would be the same thing when counting reps, what if one workout your cadence is quicker so you use momemtum and you manage to pump out 12 reps but your goal was only 10 reps, in your mind does that mean you progressed more? Of course it doesn't.

It's the exact the same thing, but based on the idea that muscle fatigues after a certain time regardless how slow or fast one moves.

The only thing I worry about during a workout is; moving the weight, drinking enough water and getting to the next exercise as fast as possible, not farting.

2-1-4 cadence in 120 min is like 17 reps and spare change. Which is pretty sweet, it won't get you into a crossfit box lol but hang on, what if you took a leaf from their book and set aside a day where you lift ballistically. Forget the dang TUT, go balls to the wall amrap and see how you progress and respond to that! I bet you'll get way more than 17.143

Don't worry about the previous rep, don't worry about the rep you're performing, don't worry if you'll be able to do another. Your goal isn't to do reps, your goal is to use the resistance to place a demand on the muscles you're targeting with the exercise.

The rep count is not your goal, it is just a measurement for later evaluation.
Intense muscular contraction and effective stimulation is your goal.

Focus on making each rep as hard as possible and intensely contracting the target muscles and you'll get a lot more benefit from the exercise than if you just focus on making weight go up and down.

I think I'm stating not to get fixated on the number but rather the quality of the rep.

ive often been guilty myself of rushing through a rep or two so I can achieve the targeted rep as opposed to keeping my mind on the tempo and the extension and full contraction of the targeted muscles of the set.

Focus on making each rep as hard as possible and intensely contracting the target muscles and you'll get a lot more benefit from the exercise than if you just focus on making weight go up and down.
This is true, however the opposite is also true. If a girl you wish to take out on a date just walked in the gym where you're working out, I might have to tell you to focus on the task at hand and stop allowing yourself to be distracted by such and such. However for a trained athlete, I find this "focus", "think", is in itself a form of distraction. A distraction that prevents that lifter/bodybuilder from truly getting in the zone. If I sound like I'm disagreeing with the concept that you've outlaid, I am not. I'm simply saying that there are others (and I am one of those) who thrive on being on autopilot. Yes to thinking and yes to focusing on what you need to do before you approach the bar, however once that bar or d/bell or cable has been grabbed; it becomes about you moving that weight from A to B. What results from that travel between the A and the B (which is your muscular contractions), is the stimulation and the fatigue and the pump, or whatever it is that comes when one lifts a weight for certain amount of sets and reps.

Intense muscular contraction and effective stimulation is your goal.
I think intense muscular contraction and effective stimulation can come as a result of me moving the weight up and down etc. So my primary goal is to move the weight successfully, and as a result of that movement, (which is the contracting and the flexing of my muscles), I achieve muscle stimulation. Basically what I've said above.

This is so easy to say, but so hard to do. After all these years I still have to remind myself before workouts, and at the start of each exercise, and every once in a while I still slip and catch myself focusing on what I'm doing to the weight instead of what I'm doing to my muscles with the weight.

It's hard when you know doing it right makes it feel so much worse, and your muscles are burning and shaking, and your heart is pounding, and you feel like your head is in a bucket, and you know all it would take to make it easier is move your body just a little, go a little faster here, and a little slower there. But then you remember why you're doing it and you do the exact opposite, you maintain proper position and sustain the tension, you take your time where it's harder, you don't slow down or pause to rest where it's easier. You run TO the pain and EMBRACE it instead of running away from it because you know it's where strength comes from.

Don't just go through the motions like everyone else in the gym. Keep your mind on what you're doing, learn "the art of exercising consciously" and focus on contraction instead of just making weights move. Don't just focus on getting each rep, focus on getting the most out of each rep.

i do a lot of single leg stuff, so normally break count down to 10's when doing 20 reps, may count backwards or forwards to mix it up in mind.

and, yes, quality of rep counts when ensuring full contraction of targeted muscle rather than merely moving weight up and down. Has to for me, because I mainly train on sub-maximal weights (60-70% of max).

Try counting just odds or evens. Mixes up the mind even more. Induces greater growth. Just ask [MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION]; ??

Gotta' keep those fibers guessing any way you can. Try bicep curls while doing a handstand.

maybe I should, nothing seems to be working lately for me. Can't even bench 120kg at moment, or do rep equivalent.