• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thick as a brick

For those of you who are strong as an Ox, and just as smart, this routine isn't for you. But, for those of you who want to be thick as a brick, and just as dense, well, read on.

Three days a week, carefully note the schedule.

Monday
Bench Press
Narrow Grip Bench Press
Dumbbell Row
Plate Raise

Thursday
Bradford Press
Hise Shrug
Dumbbell Curl
Wrist Curl

Friday
Squat

Two 2 day breaks. A lot of road work and eating can be done on four off days. Get busy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Andy, can you elaborate on a couple of exercises, namely the Bradford Press, Plate Raise and Hise Shrug.
Some guys may not recognise those exercises.

The Bradford press is an overhead press.

Start with a MP press, clear the head and lower the bar behind, then back to the front and so on.

Bradford had some of the biggest and strongest delts in weightlifting.

The Hise shrug, take the bar out of the rack like your about to squat, only do a shrug. Having the load directly on the trap is a treat. Do them breathing style.

Plate raise, its basically a front raise but your holding a plate. Keep your elbows slightly bent. I love this exercise, we have used 2 x 20kg grasped together on this, we do it a fair bit at PTC.

Max has done plenty of Bradford presses and Hise shrugs as well

Looks like something out of Brawn so I approve.

Markos doesnt pressing the bar behind the neck pose some risk to the shoulders?

It does for me.

I have clients though who can easily press behind with zero issues, Nick, Kelly and Max have all push pressed/jerked 120kg from behind

142.5kg to be precise :)

I love pressing behind the head. Gives me no dramas at all.

But as Markos said some people will have problems with it. I suspect these people would have shoulder mobility/flexibility issues.

Thats awesome, im going to give these a go tonight.

Should start a thread where people can post up different lifts that many people would have never heard of before. I am always looking to mix up my routine with different lifts and dont really know many apart from the basic ones.

Im sure Markos and Andy would be regular contributors to a thread of this type?

Last edited:
Silverback, the only pulling exercise is the DB row, and how can you get to a good full body volume on shrugs and curls? Squats on one day as well.

Care to explain the reasoning?

The Bradford press helps the bench press.

This is for the neophyte, pressing behind the head will negate any shoulder issues down the line.
As I said, this routine is best suited for the beginner.
Some might say it's not a good idea to press behind, I would say to them how and where do you hold the bar when squatting?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll have a crack at that.

The Hise shrug will destroy your upperback, the row will cover your lats.

Now, seeing as most lifters dont know what a deep knee bend is, they arent getting the full benefit of the squat. This will cover your PC.

While I like lifting off the floor, doing this program CORRECTLY for a few months will be very beneficial.

Bev Francis benched and squatted 10 x 10, 6 days a week, no deadlift, won her first PL comp, and the Worlds.

I imagine the squat covered all her PC work, because she did it correctly.

Before any more questions, simply try Andy's program, see how you go. It may just be the change your looking for.

Silverback, the only pulling exercise is the DB row, and how can you get to a good full body volume on shrugs and curls? Squats on one day as well.

Care to explain the reasoning?

Paullie,

excluding the dead-lift is a specific trick. Most people don't squat, even fewer dead lift. I figure that most will at least try to squat once a week. The dead lift is just plain tough, and with all that upperbody stuff, they would half ass the effort. Better to devote yourself to the dead lift rather than have it as an after thought.

Let me be clear, the dead lift is a prime exercise, it's just not called for in this routine.
Posted via Mobile Device

What rep / set scheme would a beginner or an intermediate be looking at to reap the best benefits?

markos gave an excellent description.
Posted via Mobile Device

where? he said it would destroy your upper back (which is what i need), but not what it is or how to do it.

For those of you who are strong as an Ox, and just as smart, this routine isn't for you. But, for those of you who want to be thick as a brick, and just as dense, well, read on.

i might be missing the point here, but who exactly are you saying this workout would suit? :confused:

Paullie,

excluding the dead-lift is a specific trick. Most people don't squat, even fewer dead lift. I figure that most will at least try to squat once a week. The dead lift is just plain tough, and with all that upperbody stuff, they would half ass the effort. Better to devote yourself to the dead lift rather than have it as an after thought.

Let me be clear, the dead lift is a prime exercise, it's just not called for in this routine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for clarifying.

What rep / set scheme would a beginner or an intermediate be looking at to reap the best benefits?

Optional
Adrian.

But I would suggest, 8~12 upper, 15~20 lower? That's just me.

In my opinion any scheme works, I think that's the part we need to figure, the exercise selection is the key.

For a beginner, 3 sets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like something out of Brawn so I approve.

Markos doesnt pressing the bar behind the neck pose some risk to the shoulders?

I have brawn sitting in my iPad, ready to read.

All these years and I've never been bothered to read it, I downloaded it just last month.

I do have a large collection of hardgainer magazines, priceless.
Posted via Mobile Device