• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do you think the Starting Strength program only does 1x working set of deadlifts?

Because they are so fcking hard. As well, as you get tired in any exercise form gets rough, and deadlifts are an exercise where good form is particularly important to prevent injury; other lifts have a bit more tolerance. If every rep were watched by a competent coach, trainer or training partner, this wouldn't matter, but most lifters lift alone.

That said, when I write routines for beginners, if I give them deadlifts, then I give them more than one set. I mean, they're starting on 60kg, they'll get to 80-90kg before they come to me for a review of things, and I'll see them a couple of times in the meantime. 60kg for a couple of sets is not going to kill them.

And then with PT clients, obviously I judge it on an individual basis. I have a woman who's over 35 and around 50kg, she's not going to deadlift 60kg even for 1x1, we need to do other stuff first.

Last edited:
Because for a novice in the first few months of training 1x5 sets of heavy deadlifts are enough to force an adaptation and get the trainee stronger.

EDIT: They also mention that if you're deadlifting less frequently you can add more sets.

Last edited:
he has explained it many times..
but here it is again in an article on T-nation.

T NATION | Most Lifters are Still Beginners

Why three sets of five? "Cuz' four sets of five is too much and two sets of five isn't enough," says Rip. "Seriously, I've been doing this a long time, and this is what seems to work the best.
"To mitigate burnout, we go with only one (work-set) of five for deadlifts. In my experience, any more is too much."

this is on his SS novice program which is as shown on that article..
as mentioned above..
you are squatting 3 times a week, and each session is 5lb more than last.
so your PC gets pretty hammered...

That is his POV

Sounds about right TTT

SS is only a beginners program, I milked it probably abit too much, ended up getting to 1.5x BW 3x5 squats instead of 1.5x BW 1rep max squat like Rip recommends
As soon as i got off it my deadlift went nuts