• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength training twice a week

CaT_SPeW

extra crispy
Due to some work commitments and a new sport im finding it very difficult to train my usual 3-4 times per week. Although i have been lazy lately i used to do the standard squat/press/dead routine 3 x week (mon,wed,fri) with an extra day (sat or sun) if i felt like it that consisted of only squats and some pressing or pull ups. Now that ive taken up a martial art (tues, thur) and i have to work most saturdays im left with little time to weight train, does anyone else only train 2 days with large breaks between sessions and have good gains? Does anyone know of any good strength programs that cater to 2 days a week training?

Wendler's 5/3/1 does

Monday
5/3/1 Squat/Deadlift (rotate)
Assistance

Thursday
5/3/1 Bench/Overhead (rotate)
Assistance

Alternatively you could do both on one day.

If you wanted to do something full body 5x5 would work really well in a 2 day format as well, a lot of rugby players do it.

You can do buttloads of programs 2 days a week. WSB and 5/3/1 come to mind straight away and its easy to find templates to follow. You could just do the program you're doing but only twice a week if you want to keep it really simple, maybe add a couple of assistance exercises to your program to make up volume.

5/3/1 and WSB can be broken down like this...

Workout A
Press
Squat
Press Assistance
Squat Assistance
Back
Abs

Workout B
Press
Deadlift
Press Assistance
Deadlift Assistance
Back
Abs

thanks guys i read somewhere that 5/3/1 came as a 2 day template but i didnt have much luck finding it.

i really like this:

Wendler's 5/3/1 does

Monday
5/3/1 Squat/Deadlift (rotate)
Assistance

Thursday
5/3/1 Bench/Overhead (rotate)
Assistance

but i'd have to do it monday and friday or wednesday and sunday which probably wont make any difference anyway.

Last edited:
20 rep squat program was originally a twice a week program, a bit tough for most though David, still the best around seeing as your not contemplating competing in powerlifting, why train like one?

20 rep squat program was originally a twice a week program, a bit tough for most though David, still the best around seeing as your not contemplating competing in powerlifting, why train like one?
good point. The 20 rep squat program your referring to, is that the one that has the 20 rep SLDL's and has sets of 2x7 for mp and bench?
Posted via Mobile Device

hmm but the 20 rep may interfere with your martial arts. but its up to you. you may just want to squat on friday or sundays. and maybe do most upperbody and some cleans on the wednesday.

good luck :D:D

thanks, lol that program is hard but i think it would fit well with my time constraints.

hmm but the 20 rep may interfere with your martial arts. but its up to you. you may just want to squat on friday or sundays. and maybe do most upperbody and some cleans on the wednesday.

ive done the 20 rep program previously and have recovered well from it but i was eating a crapload more then and gaining weight. My problem right now is im getting married next year and have been fitted for my suit so gaining weight is not really an option right now, i need to maintain weight but get stronger again. i guess i can only try it out and see