• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trouble keeping feet flat when squatting

Is goblet work more for technique building than strength gain? [/i][/size]

So....really I did know. I guess I was interested to know if you use it at all for strength building, for people of a pretty young training age
Posted via Mobile Device

Have a similar issue with keeping my left heel down,

(have less than 40% movement in left ankle)

I tend to lean further forward so I can keep ankles at nearly a straight standing position.
and still struggle to squat real low,
properly getting knees to a 90degree angle

working on hip flexibility to try and get lower, but as far as ankle flexibility goes its not going to happen

do you experienced guys see any issue with this?
or pointers/advice would be good

cheers
Jamie

Experiment with footwear.

I have an OL training here, competed internationally, he has his lifting shoes modified to increase the size of the heel, otherwise he is on his toes

Ok I'll get him doing goblet squats.

Why do they work so well? Would something like a zercher be similar as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

Any improvement?
Posted via Mobile Device
sorry mate, don't really understand the question.
could you elaborate?

Experiment with footwear.

I have an OL training here, competed internationally, he has his lifting shoes modified to increase the size of the heel, otherwise he is on his toes

I found it easier with the running shoes due to the higher heel,
but a lot more unstable, will look at some options,
lifting shoes might be an option, haven't tried any before

sorry mate, don't really understand the question.
could you elaborate?

I found it easier with the running shoes due to the higher heel,
but a lot more unstable, will look at some options,
lifting shoes might be an option, haven't tried any before

I was trying to find out if you had experienced an improvement trying different shoes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was trying to find out if you had experienced an improvement trying different shoes.
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry mate completely miss read your post,
I read it as "any movement" hence why i was alittle confused.

yeah found it easier to keep heel down with running shoes
but moved to volleys for more stability and have struggled getting deep with heel down ever since

Last edited:
Sorry for the necro-post but this is exactly the topic I wanted to ask a question about.

I have very low flexibility generally and basically when I do squats, I'm up on my toes almost from the start - it feels very unstable and it definitely feels like it limits my ability to lift because I can't stabilise the weight very well.

I want to lift bigger weight, but I also don't want to lose the elasticity of my hamstrings as sprint speed is important to me. I'm happy if my flexibility functionally improves through use, but I'm not going to stretch 3 times a day and jeopardise my speed just to write a bigger number in my notepad. In any case, it would take a long time to materially increase my flexibility anyway.

So my question is: For now, should I just keep squatting as I do (on my toes) as best I can? Or should I borrow a pair of my wife's high-heels (or a less sexy option, put a block under my heels)?

Chances are that a lot of it is ankle flexibility. Do ankle flex drills twice a week and within a few months you will see a big improvement.

Have a look at Mobility Wod for ankle mobility suggestions.

ankle mobility, or he's squatting on his hips as opposed to between them
also, if you're squatting through the full length of your hamstring, your elasticity (and strength in that elasticity) should improve.

I had issues with range of motion with my arms and back for holding the bar when squatting... every time i did squat i did some stretching of the arms/back/shoulders and over about a month it got a lot better.

Are you able to squat all the way down, just your bodyweight, down into an ATG (ass to grass) position - a.k.a asian squat? If you can't do it without doing an impromptu backwards rolley polley, then it's time to work on the ankles, hammies, and glutes.. in that order. Foam/PVC roll them. MobilityWOD stuff has helped me heaps.

google goblet squats

Thanks Silverback, I saw your post earlier in this thread. Although not actually goblet squats, I did try front squats instead. Getting the weight out in front of me allowed me to kep my feet flatter.

Are you able to squat all the way down, just your bodyweight, down into an ATG (ass to grass) position - a.k.a asian squat?

No. Well, I can a l m o s t do it when I put my arms straight out in front of me. Kinda the same thing as what I was saying above - the further out in front the weight is, the easier it is for me to keep my feet flat as I can bring my butt further back behind my feet.

I didn't realy think of it as being an ankle mobility issue, I thought it came from further up (i.e. hammys) - I could definitely work on increasing my ankle flexibility as I know that's not great either.

But I'm still wondering whether I should just keep working on my squat in its current form, or whether I should look for alternatives until I can keep my feet flat.
I can easily do 170kg for 12 reps on the 45 degree leg press. On the pure geometry, that should be a squat of over 100kg - but I'm only doing about half that. So I'm wondering, is the "up on the toes" just my style of squat - and should I just work on it as it is, slowly improving my ankle mobility?
Or like I said, should I stay away until I can do it "properly"?

Up on the toes is a style of squat where you get stapled under as you start going heavier.. either that or it will morph into a good morning. You got to bring the weight back so it's sitting midfoot (feet flat), doing it "properly" along with mobility work (albeit with a much lighter weight at first) will make you more flexible and stronger at the same time. Also, there is no conversion rate from leg press to squats as far as numbers go, it doesn't quite work that way.

If you prefer get some squat weightlifting shoes with a slightly elevated heel like the do-wins. That will improve your mechanical position in the interim, but not a long term solution.

Last edited:
there is no conversion rate from leg press to squats as far as numbers go, it doesn't quite work that way.
Yeah, I get that - I guess I was trying to say that I should be capable of much more.

doing it "properly" along with mobility work (albeit with a much lighter weight at first) will make you more flexible and stronger at the same time.
Thanks for the advice