• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Original Westside template

Main two points taken. Tiny pants and awesome moustaches make you ridiculously strong. I'm going to incorporate this by wearing tiny pants everywhere and growing out a sweet 'stache. I'm hoping for atleast a 20-30kg carryover on all lifts.

Yeah I'm feeling the stache!

Check out Barry Murray's! (Best lifts 302.5/187.5/290)

banner.jpg

I've had guys do 2 1/2 hours on a Saturday, but it wasnt with the % you mentioned, lots of fluff in between
And I am impressed by one client who goes hard-out for a full hour. Most clients are half-hour sessions, and most need a rest or start chatting to delay things inside that half-hour.

Had a client quit today because the sessions were too hard, I'd begun her with a simple bodyweight squat. Early twenties, perfectly healthy physically. Introduced her to the woman going from 3 knee pushups to putting 40kg overhead in a strict press over 6 months, getting a smaller bum as a result, apparently didn't inspire her much. Perhaps she was scared of success? Some people are.

Mental strength, physical strength. Different things? Maybe not so much. From the mind to the body.

People generally create the world their ok with living in. If a client isn't prepared to work hard in the gym, they get what they deserve. That's sonethin I really like about working out, you generally get what you deserve. It's pretty fair. If you miss training sessions &/or have a poor diet, you'll get what you deserve, not much.

Westside has come a long way In the last 50 years. Markos do you know if they had much scientific data to back up their training approach in the early days?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

They did what you might call "observational science."

"We tried this, it didn't work, we tried this other thing, it did. So we do that thing that worked again."

Otherwise known as inductive reasoning. Not really good enough for people in lab coats, but I don't think they make lab coats in Karwoski's size, anyway.

Spot on answer Kyle. Keep stuff that works, throw out the shit.

Its two different Westsides Pete, no real connection, Frenn taught Louie some stuff, Louie really loved those guys, paid them the ultimate compliment really.

If Louie had not called his facility in Ohio, Westside, we may never had heard of them

This is good reading.

Keep posting if you have any more information Markos, or any good links?

Old Westside

I myself have become more and more interested in these guys lately. Try to find info on them and you come up with mostly Louie Simmons though.

Not to open a debate on the issue but I'm not so sure "Westside" has come a long way since then as equipment has come a long way since then. They were box squatting and doing Prone Lockouts back then as well (close enough to the modern day board press everyone is so big on now).

I'd be interested in seeing much more info in this thread. I have almost all of the articles Bill West and Armand Tanny wrote from back then. What I don't have, and can't exactly glean from the info I have is the comprehensive picture of their training template, with the exception of Pat Casey.

It would seem at some point they took do doing multiple singles (5-6) followed by 1-3 backoff sets of 10 on benches and squats which is evident from articles on the Touch System in Bench Pressing and Squats as well as brief example training schedules of Joe Dimarco and George Frenn.

I wonder, however, did they build up to record singles or just stay with the same weights until they progressed. Did they have deloads or periodize in any other way etc.

If you have those articles PTC why not post them? Otherwise I'm happy to do so and/or tell people where they can find them if interested.

Right now I'm loosely emulating their old template. A couple nights ago I did 5 singles followed by 3x10 and bench and squats. Still limping ;)

I myself have become more and more interested in these guys lately. Try to find info on them and you come up with mostly Louie Simmons though.

Not to open a debate on the issue but I'm not so sure "Westside" has come a long way since then as equipment has come a long way since then. They were box squatting and doing Prone Lockouts back then as well (close enough to the modern day board press everyone is so big on now).

I'd be interested in seeing much more info in this thread. I have almost all of the articles Bill West and Armand Tanny wrote from back then. What I don't have, and can't exactly glean from the info I have is the comprehensive picture of their training template, with the exception of Pat Casey.

It would seem at some point they took do doing multiple singles (5-6) followed by 1-3 backoff sets of 10 on benches and squats which is evident from articles on the Touch System in Bench Pressing and Squats as well as brief example training schedules of Joe Dimarco and George Frenn.

I wonder, however, did they build up to record singles or just stay with the same weights until they progressed. Did they have deloads or periodize in any other way etc.

If you have those articles PTC why not post them? Otherwise I'm happy to do so and/or tell people where they can find them if interested.

Right now I'm loosely emulating their old template. A couple nights ago I did 5 singles followed by 3x10 and bench and squats. Still limping ;)

PTC doesn't post here any more.

if you can post up the templates/articles I personally would greatly appreciate it =)

If you could post up the old articles that would be great

If you could post up the old articles that would be great

Okay will do. Not sure if I should just post them in here as it could get pretty cluttered but then again it might be good to have all the info in one place. I can move them later if you guys want....

I think what you guys will notice after reading thru the old articles is a less complicated/mired down version of the modern day westside. Heavy singles work followed by volume sets seems to be a recurring theme.

Most of these I got from a ditillo blog and I believe they are public domain.