• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

To stick with it or not?

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works- but I don't agree that just doing 3 sets of 10 for a year is the optimal way forward.
I may not be an expert, but the way I understand it basic strength training is about finding the balance of specificity and variation- basically you challenge the body- its adapts- adaptation is development and growth- but once the body adapts, performing the same routine will be less challenging- hence less gains. While its true that gradually increasing the loading introduces an element of variation that creates further challenge- most will find thats not enough and progress will decrease (see Zatsiorsky). Many would argue that variation is required for optimal development- variation in the form of varied loads and rep schemes.
So- why not mix up things- a few weeks of 10s, then increase the loading and a few weeks of 8s, then 6s then 5s, then 3s- then reassess???
Or a few weeks of 10s, then some 5/3/1 stuff??

You threw a spanner in my psychological trick Spritcha. I put the time frame as 6 months to a year so that if he got to 3-6 months sticking to linear progression he would still feel good about getting that far. As you know most people stick to a program for what 4-6 weeks, so it was just an attempt to get him to at least stick to his program for 3 months hopefully 6 in total and get as much out of his linear progression and then change it up. You make a definite good point about variation but for a 3-6 month beginner the constant progression should be enough for him to progress rapidly in his lifts.

You threw a spanner in my psychological trick Spritcha. I put the time frame as 6 months to a year so that if he got to 3-6 months sticking to linear progression he would still feel good about getting that far. As you know most people stick to a program for what 4-6 weeks, so it was just an attempt to get him to at least stick to his program for 3 months hopefully 6 in total and get as much out of his linear progression and then change it up. You make a definite good point about variation but for a 3-6 month beginner the constant progression should be enough for him to progress rapidly in his lifts.

I was waiting for someone to say that. Didnt want to say anything less it turn into a debate.

He's very young and still a beginner, anything apart from the basics is too complex than is needed.