• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Improving Flexibility

Well there is nothing to show stretching increases recovery, besides people saying they feel better directly afterwards. Just trying to find out your reasoning.

Nope, except for not being flexible enough and straining a muscle due to either not flexible enough for you chosen sport or you did something bad and got forced into a very compromised ROM (probably will tear your muscle anyways even if you stretch a lot). That is the only direct evidence for stretching which is what we are suggesting anyways.

You're the exercise physiologist, you tell us.

I'm just speaking from experience, I don't pretend to know the science of it. If I stretch myself or clients, we have little or no muscle soreness following a workout. If I don't, we do.

Studies on stretching/DOMS have shown no effect.

If it works for you and your clients, even by placebo lol, keep on keeping on.

DOMS in and of itself is not really understood that well, eccentric contractions/loading is thought to be the main culprit as it causes extensive muscle damage.

Studies on stretching/DOMS have shown no effect.

If it works for you and your clients, even by placebo lol, keep on keeping on.

DOMS in and of itself is not really understood that well, eccentric contractions/loading is thought to be the main culprit as it causes extensive muscle damage.

that's really interesting... i was always of the impression that stretching improved recovery. not for any scientific reason, that's just what i had been told

There are many things told that are said because either people don't understand them or lie to make sure people are doing things they think they should do.

Stretching does not help recovery. Here are some recovery helpers:
Food
Rest
Food
Rest
Food
Some ice compress for any inflammation
Hot/cold showers
Food
Rest
Food

But if you feel better from doing stretches then as moons said keep on keeping on. You are still getting flexibility training from it and not doing anything bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, as you guys know I'm all in favour of studies and books. But I'm also in favour of experience. As Rippetoe points out,
"We all know that 40 milligrams of Dianabol a day is a pretty effective dose for a weightlifter. How many peer-reviewed studies support this? Zero. How many anecdotal reports? About a hundred thousand. You're an idiot if you avoid anecdotal data, pure and simple."​
Recent studies tell us that back squats put more shear force through the knees than front squats [source 1], that Valsalva offers no benefit compared to forced exhalation [source 2], and that "the squat, regardless of technique variation, produces minimal activity in hamstring muscles" [source 3].

These are all things which experience tells us are nonsense. So when a study or ten tell me that stretching after a workout has no effect on DOMS, well I'm happy to stick to experience.

My experience of a decade's workouts in the military, and my experience of training others now in civilian life, tells me that people who stretch after a workout tend to suffer less soreness the day after that workout than people who don't.

My experience is also that the bouncy short duration and/or "dynamic" stretching before a workout is worthless for most people. However, people who are particularly stiff with a reduced range of motion may benefit from static longer-duration stretches before a workout to improve that range of motion.

Most of those who stretch do the bouncy momentary one, and don't get a proper stretch; this will definitely help neither with recovery nor with flexibility. They then conclude that stretching is useless. This is rather like those who squat with poor technique, and then conclude that squatting is bad for their knees and doesn't work their legs much.

Snip for length

Source 1 - "Shear forces at the knee were small in magnitude, posteriorly directed, and did not vary between the squat variations."

Source 2 - Used isometric contractions in a leg extension, of course valsalva maneuver has no effect.

Source 3 - Isn't the source making that claim and I'm not bothered to look it up, but I'd put money on them squatting wrong in the study :p

I understand what you are saying, and if stretching works for you and your clients then by all means keep doing it. I have found personally that it does nothing, although I only ever experience DOMS if I change something significant (new exercise etc).

Last edited:
Strecth like you are working out, that is 3 sets same stretch, hold it for atleast 20seconds each time, relax inbetween move the joint and get some blood flowing again.

I found stretching while I was doing nothing, such as watching TV, in bed in the shower etc, dont make a chore of it.. do one stretch at a time, takes a few minutes, next oppertunity do the next stretch..

Every time you sit your ass down to watch TV sit on the floor, and do some stretches, When I was studying for uni I would practice my split just sit there reading books, every time pushing my legs further and further apart.

While you are doing leg streches you can do shoulder stretches!

Most of the important ones have been mentioned.

Warm muscle stretch better, so after a workout, or after / during a shower is a great time.

Source 3 - Isn't the source making that claim and I'm not bothered to look it up, but I'd put money on them squatting wrong in the study

And just for further information squatting is not very efficient in hamstring development, one of the reasons why people always add a deadlift variation to their programs (see Starting strength, PTC, Fadi's etc etc for a quick few examples). The hamstrings can not work properly when the knee is flexed and the hip flexed. So with deep kneed flexion (as in a full squat) you will retard hamstring involvement. As you get higher up you will have more hamstring involvement. One reason why many PL'ers squat back so much is to reduce knee flexion to the level needed to make parallel and use hip flexion more. This allows more hamstring use due to more optimal positioning.

Studies are crap if you do not know how to sift through them properly.