• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stuff relating to heavy bag work

kindred

How can you tell if you have wrapped your hands/wrists properly? I have often wondered this? I still hit the bag anyway but meh...

everyone does it slightly differently but I reckon the way to go is to make sure you loop around EACH of the nuckles individually, not just wrap around the whole hand. this way the joints are actually SLIGHTLY compressed/supported and not just padded.
When my hands are wrapped my whole palm is exposed but my fingers are wrapped at the nuckle base.
This is my way of doing it shown to me by a trainer, there are lots of good ways of doing it but I would recommend making sure each nuckle is wrapped not just the whole hand.
my 2c

Just do as I do. Don't wrap. You end up with a lot of cuts and grazes at first but eventually your hands toughen up - if you space out the bag work far enough and are doing more than just boxing. Just make sure you know how to hit properly. No offence if you do but I've seen too many "boxers breaks" not to say it. I actually do heavy bag work without gloves sometimes but I actually need to be able to street fight/defend and use open hand techniques and other unusual things in the real world.

Seriously though, only follow my advice on this if you really have to. You also end up with arthritic looking knuckles and writers palm (without the arthritis) which doesn't look that nice. And if you do need to fight in a real world situation you have to consider diseases with open wounds. I've trained like this on and off for about 20 years.

Just do as I do. Don't wrap. You end up with a lot of cuts and grazes at first but eventually your hands toughen up - if you space out the bag work far enough and are doing more than just boxing. Just make sure you know how to hit properly. No offence if you do but I've seen too many "boxers breaks" not to say it. I actually do heavy bag work without gloves sometimes but I actually need to be able to street fight/defend and use open hand techniques and other unusual things in the real world.

Seriously though, only follow my advice on this if you really have to. You also end up with arthritic looking knuckles and writers palm (without the arthritis) which doesn't look that nice. And if you do need to fight in a real world situation you have to consider diseases with open wounds. I've trained like this on and off for about 20 years.

I did that for a while but stopped cause people keep telling me ill have issues later down the track. I sometimes opened up my hands but for the most part didnt (you learn quickly to hit the bag not graze it).

I did that for a while but stopped cause people keep telling me ill have issues later down the track. I sometimes opened up my hands but for the most part didnt (you learn quickly to hit the bag not graze it).

It is a self correcting mistake. There are times you want to graze the bag - but only with gloves on. Also because I like training for realism, sometime I go for the overhand high shot, I learnt a bit about precision from hitting the metal studs on my latest bag without gloves on. Now I actually almost never throw wild punches.

So far in 20 years of doing this my only issues are the cuts, weird skin colouring (probably from light scarring) and slightly larger knuckles. Maybe another 20 years I'll have problems, don't know, but I doubt those will be caused soley by the heavy bag work. Some of these issues were also caused by fights with people not bags.

Yeah I know heaps of boxers that dont but I treat my hands like gold (for work) and always wrap them up. Basically, I wrap them similar as kick boxer does just with out the added knuckle folds. I wrap my thumb in firmly but not too tight, so they feel good in the glove and make sure I have equal wrist support.

I usually do all my bag work as a warmup and warmdown (all with a bit more), so wrapping would slow me down. I must admit I now have ugly hands (or hands with a lot of character...)

20 years without issues. I guess youd expect some problems by now. Maybe people just say shit they know nothing about. I prefer to learn by experience.

20 years without issues. I guess youd expect some problems by now. Maybe people just say shit they know nothing about. I prefer to learn by experience.

Well I can still type about 80+ wpm and only get the usual aches and pains that you get anywhere as you get older, so I suppose there should be no nerve damage and as I said, despite the fact my knuckles look like I have arthritis a little bit, they don't feel like it. So I suppose thats a good indicator.

My first bag was leather filled with sand - about 17 years of use. My latest is filled with material but is still bigger than I am and about half my weight.