• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Reg Park only performed 6 exercises for most of his career, what makes others think they can do better with more, just the basics son.

reg+park3.jpg

Park6.jpg

1048256344.jpg

I missed something somewhere what were the three he did?

edit: six

Last edited:
With all competent coaches, the similarities are more striking than the differences. See for example Rippetoe and Dan John in this recent conversation. One of the questions from the forums was, Dan John recommends front squats for beginners, Rip back squats, which is right? Basically they just laughed.

I think I am fair in guessing that behind their laughter was the thought that whether you low-bar, high-bar, back or front or barbell or sumo or dumbbell or kettlebell or kegs of water squat is much, much less important than that you just squat, and progress in it.

For my part, virtually everything good and useful I do in the sessions I give is due to guys like Dan John, Rip and Markos. Or Ian Martin, my RMIT teacher. Markos taught me a lot, expressing things clearly and simply: "in every session, do a deep knee-bend, pick something heavy off the floor and put something heavy overhead; in every session, do more than you did before, more weight, or more reps, or more sets."

This is pretty much what these other guys say, too. There are other well-known guys who say different things, like Lyle McDonald. But Lyle didn't believe it when Rip said he had a kid do a 300lb squat in a few months of training, which shows he never coached anyone to do that. Results count.

The good I count to the credit of those guys, any of the fckups I have are pretty much my own fault :D

The fact you even need to ask what 6 exercises he did doesnt surprise me today.

If we go back to 1980, everyone would know, not because they knew Reg, because its roughly the same 6 everyone did.

Have a guess people, shut up Andy lol

All with the barbell im guessing, so press, bench, dead, squat, row and curl. Wouldn't suprise me if he had bodyweight exercises like chin's or dips in their though

I'm a notorious Rippetoe pusher and just wish I'd known about his program or about any old-school barbell training when I started lifting. Soooooo much time wasted just curling and benching and I'd been lifting for 6-7 years before I ever tried to do a squat.

Pretty easy isnt it Shane and Macca?

Freak, I was lucky, I got shown pretty much what the guys listed from day 1

Clean
Press
Snatch
Squat

Can't choose the other two
Pullup
Row
Maybe deads
Posted via Mobile Device

First of all, everyone has been training their core since the beginning of weight training.
Squats, various dead's, standing presses and rows, lunges, farmers walks, side bends, isolated back and hip extension movements...all are traditional movements that work the "core" musculature.
It's funny how some guru or group of gurus start using terms like core and posterior chain, and all of a sudden you have an entire new group of exotic exercises, performed on exotic equipment, that do nothing more than RE-WORK and in fact over work the same muscle structures that can be worked by basic movements, within the confines of a basic training program.

Someone noted that if you can squat what typically equates to 1.5~2.0 x body weight for reps, your core is plenty strong: well stated!
Similarly, if you can perform strict side-bends while holding 40kg db's, once again your core is strong.
There is a picture of Dr Ken lifting an atomic ball from the floor to a barrel for high reps in a past old hard training newsletter, and this too will work the core.
It doesn't take being able to balance yourself on one leg while lying on your back and gliding across a stability ball to have a strong core.
Sure this stuff looks interesting and challenging but it isn't necessary.

We need to keep it simple.

If you can squat 150% for a few reps, dead- lift 200% of body weight for a few reps, bench press 125% for a few reps, press 75% of body weight for a few reps, power clean and push press 100% of body weight for 10 do you think you would be strong and look strong? I think so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

A poor tradesman will always blame his tools.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes but a good tradesman always blames the apprentice :p

and then makes him f**kin fix it

this in turn will one day make the apprentice an excellent tradesman

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you lemon dicks need to take a step back and see how cu nty you are being.

There are so many good ways to train, ways that should bring you the desired results.
Unfortunatly, no one seems to exhibit the needed patience to gain any sort of progress given any type of training.
They jump from one protocol to another and bad mouth the one they just left and sing the praises of the one they currently embrace.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't get this, you never say which one it is you always say nothing just riddels

Some of you lemon dicks need to take a step back and see how cu nty you are being.

There are so many good ways to train, ways that should bring you the desired results.
Unfortunatly, no one seems to exhibit the needed patience to gain any sort of progress given any type of training.
They jump from one protocol to another and bad mouth the one they just left and sing the praises of the one they currently embrace.
Posted via Mobile Device

I havn't read the first post of this thread, but i do agree with what you have said here.