• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench Press: Avoiding Shoulder Injuries

Thanks for that. I also read somewhere that having really flexible shoulders isn't really a good thing. Don't know if that's true or not.

Its true (in my case anyways). My shoulders are very flexible (about the only thing in my body that is) which has caused me drama's, and continues to do so.

So with the push ups, do you mean same thing with benching? Squeezing my back together like in the bench and then performing the push up?
yes when done properly you will find you get quite severe doms in the serratus muscles the next day, which are key to stabilising the scapula. I like doing them for sets of 8 after benching.

Cheers dude I will definitely start doing them. I'm just finding it a bit awkward retracting the scapula while in the push up position.

I read that stretching the pecs is also good, how can I do this properly? There seems to be a bit of controversy with the door stretch.

Flexible and weak is bad yes
Flexible and strong is good (maybe having good ROM is a bit more accurate but kinda the same deal)

I find doing a rotator cuff isolation exercise before doing upper body work helps my shoulders. A couple of sets of 15 without really exerting yourself should do the trick. Also, any exercise that encourages scapula control (scap pulls, scap push ups, incline shoulder raises, blackburns etc) seem to be the in thing with protecting your shoulders from impingement

I don't stretch as much as I should post workout, but if I remember to, I find holding an isometric contraction in the bottom of a fly position is a good way stretch out the pecs. Normally I lower the weight til I'm at full stretch and hold it for up to 10'seconds, pull the weight back up take a deep breath then repeat the procedure twice

Last edited:
Cheers dude I will definitely start doing them. I'm just finding it a bit awkward retracting the scapula while in the push up position.

I read that stretching the pecs is also good, how can I do this properly? There seems to be a bit of controversy with the door stretch.
you probably find it difficult to retract because your serratus are week and your shoulders are inflexible. give it time.

yes stretching the pecs and shoulder girdle is important also. i like doing sets of very light dumbell flyes after benching for 10s. i guess door stretching will do the same.

I have a very tight and easily irritated right anterior delt/pec minor to the point where I can't sleep on that side. I attribute to poor posture/desk job moreso than lifting, but it obviously impacts on bench press by making me very left-dominant.

I recently started doing LYTPs daily and this alone is definitely loosening up my right shoulder and already improving my posture. I do them on a swiss ball or incline bench. They are an alternative to the "YTWL" circuit recommended by Westside. Great articles on it here:

LYTP – A New and Improved YTWL!!! Nick Tumminello Fitness | Baltimore MD Personal Trainer | Sports Performance & Bodybuilding
LYTP Shoulder Circuit – The 3 BEST Ways to do it! Nick Tumminello Fitness | Baltimore MD Personal Trainer | Sports Performance & Bodybuilding

Thought I'd share it because it's very easy and the way it's explained in the articles makes it hard to use the wrong muscles. Some of the other exercises I've seen suggested are easy to cheat if you already have strong lats or upper traps.

Just did a light session today.

Shoulder is feeling better, feeling slightly weird at the moment but much better than last week.

I find the hardest thing is getting my arms back for the squat.

Maybe I should try front squats for awhile?

Best thing I did for my shoulders was get a girls squat bar.

Edited for accuracy :p

Not the worst idea if you have terrible shoulders, but really you should be flexible enough in the shoulders to do back squats
Front squats are definitely an option, and it saves you having to buy a new bar

Edited for accuracy :p

Not the worst idea if you have terrible shoulders, but really you should be flexible enough in the shoulders to do back squats
Front squats are definitely an option, and it saves you having to buy a new bar

You need to try that girls squat bar for yourself, one of the best things in my gym.