• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fight Club

Well i thought i'd start a new thread about all martial arts in general since there seems to be a few people on the forum interested, make this thread about anything to do with martial arts, self defence, punching, kicking, biting and scratching! it would be good also if you state any experience you have so people don't start talking about shit they have no clue about such as myself :D

I'll start:

What style? BJJ hopefully will be adding Muay Thai as well
Time training? 1 month
Current rank? white belt

back a while back...
Karate- 1 year
Kung fu- 3 years, then just under 2 years of WingChun
Kick Boxing- 1 year

I was mainly just into the fitness and technical side of things- but ended up fighting competitively

I recommend you also train for keyboard warfare. We need someone to get stuck into n00bs. I don't understand a f***ing thing he says about nutrition so I'm unequipped for battle. It's up to you Dave!!

ive got no idea either plus apparently the guys a f**kin ninja!! its gonna take all the Daves combined to stop that guy.......

we need.....MEGA-DAVE!!!

back a while back...
Karate- 1 year
Kung fu- 3 years, then just under 2 years of WingChun
Kick Boxing- 1 year

I was mainly just into the fitness and technical side of things- but ended up fighting competitively

how'd you go fighting competitively? whenever i talk to anyone about this stuff the first thing they ask me is "are you gonna fight???" but the thought had never crossed my mind when i became interested in learning this stuff

It started when I was doing Wing Chun- my instructor was keen for us to learn to fight, there is a big difference from running drills in class and fighting- so we started running sparring classes in the evening and then went on to enter mixed martial art tournaments. This continued on and thats pretty much how I got into kick boxing. Then training became fight training.

there is a big difference from running drills in class and fighting-

ive noticed that, at the end of my BJJ class we do 30 mins of sparring and that seems to be the most beneficial part as i get to take on all levels at a free for all. I guess a BJJ comp would be no different to the sparring we do at class

we need.....MEGA-DAVE!!!

Well we can take Markos' Daves squat since he should be hitting 200kg.
I can give my ultra fast typing skills learnt from the days of Bulletin Boards and text based games. (oh shit did I just show how nerdy I am).
Other daves add to the list.

Once we tally all the skills up we should be able to smash noobs' keyboard before he can even type and therefore win the battle before it even begins.

then went on to enter mixed martial art tournaments

How did you find these tournaments to be? Any good?

What style? BJJ, use to do kickboxing as well, a bit a mma
Time training? 3 years
Current rank? blue belt

Been training for a while, only really do BJJ at the moment.

in my previous life (about 40kgs ago)
Zen Do Kai - 10 years
Wu Dao Gong - 2 years
Kokusai Jujutsu Ryu - 2 years
BJJ - 2 years

Last edited:
How'd you go?

Went pretty good. As a club we just entered competitors in local, regional and national level events.

Probably the thing I liked least about it was talking all my mates into coming down to train, them punching their lights out in the ring.
Back when I did kung fu (wǔ xíng and wǔxíngbāfǎquán) we had to constantly spar with no protective gear at all.
Training was 4 hours long- 1 hour stretching, 1 hour fitness and strength work, 1 hour 'forms' then an hour sparring.
Whenever we went for a 'grading' we had to fight a senior instructor- and the fight we start simple then become increasing difficult.
As with kickboxing we had to learn to take a beating via the old method of dishing out beatings.

What style? - WTF Tae kwon do
Time training? - 8 Years 13 to 21
Current rank? - Black Belt

2003 World champs, Also did some training here in Au, Korea, Japan and the USA

Back when I did kung fu (wǔ xíng and wǔxíngbāfǎquán) we had to constantly spar with no protective gear at all.

Which of the martial arts you did had the best carry over for street fighting, and were you powerlifting back then?

I would have thought kickboxing would be better than the Asian orientated arts for street fighting, mainly cos of it's simplicity (I'd imagine most complicated techniques would go out the window in a self defense/street fight situation).

Anyway, a little about me:

Boxing - probably done close to 12 months worth of training over 3 years at East End Boxing (used to be in Lilydale with Joe Mahoney, now in Croydon with Brian Butler)
Judo, MMA, BJJ and Thai Kickboxing since August (and no I don't do all of them every week lol) @ Malvern Martial Arts.
All this with competing first in Judo and BJJ then eventually MMA (I feel much more comfortable in the clinch or on the ground than trading blows).

Right now I'm pressed for time to get to training for more than a couple of hours a week so I'm concentrating on strength/power gains (I go to night school after work but there's a gym on campus so in the couple of hours between I attempt to lift heavy things)

...and hopefully with this final post it means I can now properly get involved in forums having reached the magical 10 number....

ive since quit BJJ. as much as iloved doing it the injuries were just not worth the risk to me as i need to be injury free for my line of work. a torn muscle or dislocation could mean weeks/months out of work with no income.

ive since quit BJJ. as much as iloved doing it the injuries were just not worth the risk to me as i need to be injury free for my line of work. a torn muscle or dislocation could mean weeks/months out of work with no income.

I do not blame you at all - I dislocated my shoulder during a training session run by an idiot and attended by an even greater idiot (me). I now do boxing and love it - I miss doing the striking on the ground that I could get away with with MMA but even so, its a good physical work out and I havent found anything that beats the cardio/endurance of boxing.....

Am looking for training partners if your interested!!??