• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5x5 VS 6x6 Bench Press Routine?

R

rafaelo4

Hello folks,:)

I been wondering for a while now if I am doing this right.Namely this is the routine I have been using for several months now and I had good gains.

Pick a weight u think u can do 7 reps with on absolute failure.Then do 5 sets with that weight,push 5 reps each set,no more no less....if u get 5x5 then next week add 2kg (1kg to each side).if u get 5x5 again the next week add 2kg again to the bar, and so on and so forth....until u cannot do 5x5 and u do like 5,5,5,4,3 then u stay with that weight till u achieve 5x5 and then u begin adding again.....

I have been doing this on Mondays (flat bench press) and Fridays (except I do db incline) on Wednesdays I do 6x10 DB Fly's.

Now I have been reading on bodybuilding forums that some people have been advocating 6x6 as better than 5x5, some even go with 6x5.

Also I rest 2 min between reps on my 5x5 days while on Wednesdays about 30->1 min between reps.

What is everyone thinking?And do you think this routine is good?

Hello folks,:)

I been wondering for a while now if I am doing this right.Namely this is the routine I have been using for several months now and I had good gains.

Pick a weight u think u can do 7 reps with on absolute failure.Then do 5 sets with that weight,push 5 reps each set,no more no less....if u get 5x5 then next week add 2kg (1kg to each side).if u get 5x5 again the next week add 2kg again to the bar, and so on and so forth....until u cannot do 5x5 and u do like 5,5,5,4,3 then u stay with that weight till u achieve 5x5 and then u begin adding again.....

I have been doing this on Mondays (flat bench press) and Fridays (except I do db incline) on Wednesdays I do 6x10 DB Fly's.

Now I have been reading on bodybuilding forums that some people have been advocating 6x6 as better than 5x5, some even go with 6x5.

Also I rest 2 min between reps on my 5x5 days while on Wednesdays about 30->1 min between reps.

What is everyone thinking?And do you think this routine is good?
Strong rest.

I find volume helps me get stronger, helps to push through plateaus. 5x5 or 6x6, 25, or 36 reps...Both will work in a similar fashion, the higher volume will contribute to more muscle mass similar in doing 3sets of 10, rather than a strenghth based appraoch, say 8 sets of 3 reps. As long as your recovery is keeping upwith the higher rep workout it cant be bad..But in the end try both and see what works for you.

I find volume helps me get stronger, helps to push through plateaus. 5x5 or 6x6, 25, or 36 reps...Both will work in a similar fashion, the higher volume will contribute to more muscle mass similar in doing 3sets of 10, rather than a strenghth based appraoch, say 8 sets of 3 reps. As long as your recovery is keeping upwith the higher rep workout it cant be bad..But in the end try both and see what works for you.

Thanks for your thoughts.

When you say volume do you mean more weight or higher rep count because like you said yourself lower reps with more weight is called strength training for a reason.

I got much more stronger when I droped from doing 3x10 bench press to 5x5 with more weight.Thing is max I can lift is around 7 reps if I use same weight like I do in 5x5.

Hmm I might try to drop rest on 5x5 from 2 min to 1.30sec and see how my body responds.

Again thank you guys.

Strong rest.

Hahaha. I had the same thoughts reading it. But I presume she means that much rest between sets. A 1 min rest between reps would mean she was actually doing 25x1 and not 5x5... ;)

Raf, its all about time under tonnage. If you're getting your volume at higher weights with 5x5 then stick with it. If you plateau then mix it up a bit with lower weights for higher reps before coming back at your 5x5. A lot depends on your goals whether they're strength or size. But 5x5 is a nice all round type volume approach. You said you're getting gains so stick with it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts.

When you say volume do you mean more weight or higher rep count because like you said yourself lower reps with more weight is called strength training for a reason.

more volume = more reps

I try to alternate between high volume and low volume sessions, I do need to focus on the higher volume more however..

No such thing as "better" in training mate.

If 6x6 is better than 5x5, why not just go for 7x7, or hell, 100x100?

It's all about progession and effort.

Last edited:
I love

1 x 1
2 x 2
3 x 3
4 x 4
7 x 7
8 x 8
9 x 9
10 x 10

I'm not a fan of

5 x 5
6 x 6

Just my opinion, but what would I know

Markos Phd

I spoke to 5x5 on the phone this arvo Markos, he expressed an immense dislike for you also. So much so that upon reaching the 4th station of the rosary this evening he's praying for your financial ruin.

For all of those that are interested, as a general rule of thumb, for basic strength work, 24 is the magic number.

3 x 8
8 x 3
4 x 6
6 x 4
12 x 2
2 x 12
5 x 5

This is not a joke by the way, thats why 5 x 5 is so effective, keep the total reps around 24 and you cant go wrong