• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front squat

vovo

How the F$*& do you do these things?

I am not sure what it is, but I am not a fan so far, either that or I am doing something wrong.

I feel as if my wrists are not flexible enough, I physically don't seem to be able to lift my elbows high enough to create the "shelf" without bending my wrists to some impossible angle or trying to push the bar clear through my neck.

I tried without my elbows too high, and it felt like my wrists bent at some unnatural angle were supporting the bar, that hurt.

I tried the arms crossed method, this was slightly better, but felt like the bar was sitting on my collar bones. Again this hurt.

What do you reckon elbow flexibility or something causing poor form?

Cheers

I realise its hard to diagnose from text, I am hoping it is a common thing.

I realise its hard to diagnose from text, I am hoping it is a common thing.
It is mate. Exactly the same problems I have with this lift, but the consensus is just stick with it and wrist flexibility will come. Mind you, I'm not sure I want too much wrist flexibility as it wouldn't help my bench at all.

But I'll see what others have to say. Am interested in any recommendations.

Cheers,
Mike

I wasnt a fan either, for a while. But I've gotten on board now.
The wrist flexibility comes with time, still hurts my wrists by the end set, but has started to hurt less and less.
I think I've read a few articles saying up on the collarbone is correct position, give it a few times the pain wil die down. :p

Use 1 finger to hold the bar your pointer finger...

Makes it alot easier.

You shouldnt need to hold the bar your hands are only there for support.

I did these:

How To Stretch Your Wrists For A Better Front Squat Experience | StrongLifts.com

plus shoulder dislocates and lat stretches for 6 weeks. I went from not being able to hold just the bar properly to front squatting 90kg for reps straight away. It's at 120kg atm.

You have to be patient, obviously. It'll pay off big time.

Keep the bar against your throat, like it's choking you. Chin points forward, elbows up and squeezed towards the center (to keep your chest and shoulders tight ~ a shelf). Elbows up will keep your front delts up so the bar has something meaty and solid to sit on, instead of your collar bones.

Don't grip the bar. You just need the tips of the fingers on the bar.

For what it's worth.

The front squat is a bit different to the back squat. Not hugely, but there are differences in how to sit and rise. Keep your elbows up. It's better.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really like front squats aswell, it just feels like it is doing more for you, all over.

As for wrist flexability it comes with practice, i only use two fingers on each hand, my delts carry the bar.

I do them a bit differently and just cross my arms over the bar, I have broken my wrists twice so its realy hard for me to hold the other way.

Do the delts get used to holding up the weight?
Gave these a go on Monday. Only attempted 40kg, but the weight didn't feel comfortable sitting on the delts.

Cheers for the link. Will give these stretches ago :)
I just watched both those vids and it hurt just watching them. I have very poor wrist flexibility, but I guess its something worth achieving if I want to own the front squat. I'm off for another Squat PPP session today so will add those stretches and front squats as a supporting exercise and post in my log how I get on.

Cheers,
Mike

If you don't keep your elbows up, you'll either drop the bar, or bruise your collar bones badly enough that it should be a reminder to keep them up next time. :D

Do the delts get used to holding up the weight?
Gave these a go on Monday. Only attempted 40kg, but the weight didn't feel comfortable sitting on the delts.
Yes, you get used to it, same way you get used to a low-bar squat.

One thing I always do is start people with their arms straight out, the bar resting on their delts. Do a few squats like that, arms extended, just lifting the bar. It gets you used to where the bar should be.

As for flexibility, try this test. Find your acromion, that's the bony joint where the collarbone and shoulderblade join on top of your shoulder. Touch it with the thumb of the same hand. Now turn your hand palm upwards. Now raise your elbow until your upper arm is at least parallel to the floor, keeping the thumb on the acromion.

You may not be able to do it straight up. Drop your arm, now roll your shoulders forwards as far as they'd go. Now try touching your acromion with thumb, turning palm up and raising elbows as before.

That is basically the traditional position for arms in front squat, shoulders rolled forwards, elbows up, palms up. If you can do that, you can front squat normally.

If you can't, you can't, develop shoulder and wrist flexibility by other exercises and try again in a few months.

Between "can't do it" and "can easily" there's "can do it, but bugger it hurts." That's where most of us are. Suck it up, princess. It gets easier in time. Two of the clients I've had longest front squat regularly. As for shoulder flexibility, when they started, neither could put their hands behind their back, straighten their elbows and raise their hands from there. Now both front squat 70 or more kg for reps.

Sounds like you need another session, Danco :p

Last edited:
I just sit the bar across the delts. I only ever do lighter front squats at 20 reps after I've done my normal squats.
Posted via Mobile Device

Love the front squats but I just place them across my delts and crossed hands. They sit nicely in the little pocket of your delts when you have your elbows high. I'll start stretching my wrists to try the other way though, it may help with front squatting more.