• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flaxseed oil - thoughts?

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Hey guys - just been looking at my diff fat sources - and been re-thinking flaxseed oil (used to use it when I 1st started training) - I always hear mix things about it - good/bad...

Just thought Id see what some of your guys think....I think I remember Fadi saying somewhere that hes not a fan...

Cheers!

Its no good man.
Check out the "high cal shake" thread in the nutrition section. I know Fadi touches on it there.

MMM interesting - I remember that now!

Im looking at fats more-so than ever now 1. for health benefits 2. fat burning benefits and 3. for test production - last 2 weeks I have dropped cals fairly low and stupidly dropped fats...I have def seen a difference in regards to libido which means not as much test production which means I will be dropping more muscle while dieting...something I do not want...

I have changed diet this week to add more fats - in the way of salmon, almonds, mac oil - but its got me thinking more about my diet and how I want to diet for best results....

Adding even more fat into my diet is something im def looking at this week and also looking at natural products to help with libido/test while im dieting...

Been reading alot about ginseng and bee pollen today...

Talk to Nick and Mitch (NPR's anabolic diet thread). They seem to have a good idea about fat.

1st on the agenda is going back to nature and by that I mean having fats intact instead of having been liberated. What does that mean? It means my priority would be to have:

1. Nuts and seeds instead of their oils
2. Avocado instead of its oil
3. Fish instead of its oil
4. Egg
5. Coconut instead of coconut oil
6. After having done the above, I can begin to include the reliable friends

Friends:

A. Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil over salad
B. Ghee (clarified butter)
C. Organic butter
D. Unrefined coconut oil

Enemies:

1. 99% of oils on the supermarket shelves
2. Highly unstable oils such as flaxseed oils
3. Overheating of any fat until its smoking point has been reached

After loading up on the 1st category above, you will find that you won’t really need to indulge in the other categories to a great extent.

Fadi.

What are peoples thoughts on peanut butter? A good way to increase fat intake?

I do take fishoil caps throughout the day also.

What are peoples thoughts on peanut butter? A good way to increase fat intake?

I do take fishoil caps throughout the day also.

Yeah peanut butter is alright, but go for the natural stuff none of that supermarket crap.

PowerSports if you really want flax go for the capsule form as it protects the oil more from oxidation. But I would go with what Fadi said and get it from foods first as this way is also more delicious :D

1. Nuts and seeds instead of their oils
2. Avocado instead of its oil
3. Fish instead of its oil
4. Egg
5. Coconut instead of coconut oil
6. After having done the above, I can begin to include the reliable friends

Natural Almond Butter...
spin2.gif
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If you're using oils as a fat source for convenience in shakes or just by the spoonful or whatnot, go for anything that's coldpressed/extra virgin. Except Flax.

My preference is as close to whole food as possible, so it'd go something like this:

-Nuts/Seeds/Eggs/Avocado/Coconut(If you can find it)
-Nut butters/butter/ghee
-Oils

Also, think of Coconut Oil as a "quick" energy source, much in the same way that highly refined sugars are a "quick" energy source. It's not going to cause an insuling spike but due to the high content of MCT's it metabolised quite quickly to be used a good energy source. It's also delicious as a semi-solid after being refridgerated and eaten by the spoon.

As a rule of thumb I like to keep my type's of fat varied a bit, but the breakdown goes something like 50% Monounsaturated 35-40% Saturated and 10-15% Polyunsaturated. High levels of PUFA's aren't exactly great, despite them being an "unsaturated" fat which automatically makes them health promoting to the general public.

GLA/CLA are also good to supplement as these days they're hard to come by in food form.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know about particular fats?

Hey guys,

so besides all the nuts (as im highly allergic to all nuts) what other oils/substances are great for weight gaining, and health in genral.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Ghee/Organic Butter. You can try Nut Oil's but I don't know how your allergies would go with them. Due to the processing, I'd assume it's not the same as a nut butter/whole nut.

I'm eating lots of almonds ATM. 55g fat and 22g protein per 100g
Posted via Mobile Device

What Could you add to a protein shake to get you essential fats? Anyone had any good ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device