• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

PTC

On Wednesday this week I had a meeting with Simon Goosey, the coach of Frankston's VFL team. He had heard of Max's results in Idaho via his assistant coach who sometimes lifts at PTC.

A few months ago he had me down at the club with a view to training the boys, but they just dont have the right equipment. They lack the funding currently for equipment, so we decided to train them at PTC.

I had 4 boys train tonight, none had ever lifted properly and none had done "leg weights"

They have now lol

They have access to PTC everyday between 4.30pm and 6.00pm and will train in groups.

If anything interesting happens, I'll post it.

One of the boys who trained today is a big chance to being drafted in a few weeks, he has been invited to the camp, he is 20 years old.

All 4 trained very hard and will be very sore.

On Wednesday this week I had a meeting with Simon Goosey, the coach of Frankston's VFL team. He had heard of Max's results in Idaho via his assistant coach who sometimes lifts at PTC.

A few months ago he had me down at the club with a view to training the boys, but they just dont have the right equipment. They lack the funding currently for equipment, so we decided to train them at PTC.

I had 4 boys train tonight, none had ever lifted properly and none had done "leg weights"

They have now lol

They have access to PTC everyday between 4.30pm and 6.00pm and will train in groups.

If anything interesting happens, I'll post it.

One of the boys who trained today is a big chance to being drafted in a few weeks, he has been invited to the camp, he is 20 years old.

All 4 trained very hard and will be very sore.

There's a great difficulty with these kids in regards to their clubs. Many fail to provide any form of adequate strength training on the basis that finances within those clubs are usually tight - (therefore, their equipment remains insufficient).

Hopefully they will improve moreso under your guidance, assuming you have a suitable facility - (which, I gather you do!).

Working with athletes, I find, is the most rewarding aspect - because they are dedicated to the cause; they are obedient (usually); and as a result, their performances provide you with greater self-pride.

I, too, have been working with some footballers heading towards the up and coming draft (from WA). Exciting times ahead, we hope!

I've worked with AFL listed players before Nick, as well as TAC Cup kids.

Soccer players, basketballers, MMA guys, boxers, powerlifters and others have always trained at PTC

Markos PhD

A lot of muscular endurance work as well.

There footballers, not powerlifters. We still do compounds, but singles will be done rarely on squats for instance, a heavy triple at most for now anyway.

Their lifting age is zero, they first need a base.

All display great flexibility and a strong work ethic. The workout was easy in terms of what my best lifters do, yet all 4 were on the verge of chucking.

What I found alarming was the guy with the best beep test was MUCH lower than Max's, and I explained to the guy that Max had NEVER been for a run outside his sport training. He had the quickest 20m time, under 3 sec. He is running 3 times a week, it looks as if he may be going west in the draft

How do you go recovering them from the weights midweek, ready for gameday?

Or are they training with you for the off season only?

He had the quickest 20m time, under 3 sec. He is running 3 times a week, it looks as if he may be going west in the draft

Nice.. Under 3 seconds is mighty good ..... We tested some Under 15's on this end, three of which managed under 'just' under 3 seconds; so hopefully if they develop well in coming years, we'll ensure they come mighty close to the current Draft Camp record.

The lowest I've seen at 20m run so far is 2.9 seconds; in the Perth Glory youth squad!

A while back I had 4 boys training who had played in the TAC Cup. Two of them had gone under 2.9sec with electronic timing.

I told them I only had a stop watch so my times couldnt compare. Max had clocked 2.72 with a stop watch. They said it wasnt accurate, which I acknowledged, so I said "race him".

He beat both boys 5 times in a row, and he is MUCH quicker now. Not long after he clocked 2.69 on my stop watch. Funnily enough I clocked the others at 2.84, which is what they had clocked at testing.

Either way, a race is a race, regardless. In fact, he's never been beaten over 20m, or 40m, or 100m or 272m.

This is all because he squats and cleans more than other 18yo runners. He also has a school measured 34" vertical.

The new guys are aware of all this so they trust me unconditionally. There assistant coach has witnessed Max's athleticism first hand, which is why he has been trying to get me involved for the past 6 months.

I spoke to a couple of S&C coaches from an AFL club a couple of months ago. I was stunned how much importance they put on science rather than hard work.

I guess I'm a dying breed.

Well I say **** the beep test then :) how does he go with repeated sprints?
Posted via Mobile Device

Science is great IF you still work hard. People get stuck in the scientific side and forget about the challenge. I know I have done that. These days (when I can lift) I just get in there and work my ass off, I get better results this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I spoke to a couple of S&C coaches from an AFL club a couple of months ago. I was stunned how much importance they put on science rather than hard work.

I guess I'm a dying breed.

You are certainly a dying breed if you feel science is over-stated in the industry over 'hard work' - [which, if not measured, is far too subjective to have any meaning] .... because it's rather the opposite..... the science behind human performance is largely untapped, and therefore under-utilised.