• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Draft horse or race horse

There seems to be confusion as to the definition between muscular size and strength, results from current standards for bodybuilding competition add to this…and at least part of this confusion also stems from the fact that competitive weightlifters would more often than not- not have a physique of a bodybuilder.

Having a look around a gym or on a particular sporting event I have made some observations.

A few bodybuilders are very strong… but few of them demonstrate a level of strength in proportion to their size, muscular size…and some of these bodybuilders are actually quite weak when consideration is given to their muscular mass.

This weakness has nothing to do with their quality of their mass, like those of anybody else, are strong in proportion to their size; poor leverages or some other factor makes it impossible to transmit a high amount of their muscular strength to their limbs… they have a very powerful engine and a poor transmission, in that they can produce the power but cant use much of it.

Wide shoulders, narrow hip, long legs and short torso and greater than average mass could easily become a successful bodybuilder, he may look strong, but his strength will not be in proportion to his appearance of strength, but those proportions will have a pleasant appearance by today’s standards.

In contrast, a competitive weightlifter may not appear to have much more than an average amount of mass, but able to demonstrate much strength, we’d be looking at narrow shoulder girdle, thick waist, wide hip, short legs and a proportionality long torso.the requirement for building great strength, but more often than not pleasing to the eye.

Bodybuilders and weightlifters have grown apart more than any period in time, especially if you spend time on forums, you see constant chest banging and although we all use the same tool (the barbell) which we should and usually perform the same exercise, which we should, I think the separation is due to natural selection, the type I described simply do not have the ability to demonstrate strength and men with the potential to build great strength more often than not have the type of physique to enter a body building contest.

Usually after a short period of time and relating to Markos’s 5 year post, an individual will be forced in one direction or another.

If strength increases rapidly with little increase in muscle mass then he will be encouraged to turn his interest to so-called competitive weightlifting…but if his mass increases out of proportion to his strength, then he’ll most likely see himself as a body-builder.

I was looking at a doco and thought this;
Draft horses are built for power, race horses are built for speed, we fall into the similar category.

You can increase the muscular mass of the draft horse and you’ll make it stronger and faster, but it will never make it as fast as a good race horse.

You can increase the muscular mass of the race horse…it will also make the horse stronger and faster, but it will never be as strong as the draft horse.

I have the wide shoulder, narrow hips, long limbed physique. if strength is not the goal then I ahve the proportions for a great physique (as long as i get my BF down), but i am not built for strength. I am proportionately strong (if that makes sense?)

Damn, I am weak as piss...

This article gives me some motivation to at least think I can become big haha

Cheers

Really good article SB you've out done yourself. I have never stepped back and thought of it like that. I have the long leg etc problem and find muscle building is allot easier then strength building. So naturally unknown to my conscience I choose body building as my main goals and interests. I deep down crave for more strength but it's a long hard road... But I'm glad is long and hard because I need something to fill in my spare time and xbox doesn't cut it!
Posted via Mobile Device

I think I hide somewhere in between the two. I'm not super strong but I'm relatively big for my strength/weight. Gotta put on more mass though!

Your dead lift smashes mine, fairly equal in squats and my bench beats yours. We are the same height but I'm 20kg heavier with a reasonably low bf. So I'm so much heavier but my lifts don't follow the the formular that bigger=stronger and I don't think they ever will. After pct it's ppp for 10 weeks I will so what strength gains I can produce.
Posted via Mobile Device