• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench technique revisited

PTC

There was a lively discussion recently on bench technique. Quite a few experts will tell you exactly where your elbows should point, feet should go, how to arch etc

When I started, we just lay flat on the bench and I always benched with my elbows flaring out wide. This was best for development, and as far as I could tell, it allowed me to press more than guys my weight could press, a lot more

So I've never taught any other way. I've argued that if your a weak presser, just get stronger, leave the gimmicks. Of course, as always, I get a lot of flack from theorists, just like I do with my stand on belts. Max just won a worlds without one, but I digress.

Anyway, the lifter with the best bench press AND the best physique at the Worlds, happens to bench with elbows wide, no arch, just strength.

He benched 228.5kg @ 90kg. Now dont take my word for it, listen to him, you can get VERY strong AND build a super chest by benching in a normal fashion, no gimmicks.

There is no bencher in Australia who is anywhere near this guy, Ange is closest, he benched 190kg @ 80kg at PTC.

Ange has his elbows out wide as well. No arch.

Strong is strong.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/15/2n7X61jbEoA]YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/PTCFrankston#p/u/22/RApvIO_98x0]YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel[/ame]

Don't know what you're talking about Markos, but both Greg and Ange set up exactly as what's taught in the Dave Tate's video, which was the center of that discussion. They both arch. That's how people are taught at the PL club I go to as well.

Greg has the bigger arch. You can put your arm through that gap between his lower back and the bench.

Ryan Kennelly - the guy who benches 308kg raw - also sets up in the same way.

Thats basically exactly how i bench now after watching some dave tate dvd's// However i dig my toes into the ground...

That video of ange looks like arch to me??

Please dont make me put up videos of an arch lol

Max has the same "natural" arch as those guys.

What they do is not an arch.

Also, pay close attention to the elbows, no tucking in etc

Anyway, check this out, 192.5kg @ 75kg, no arch, wide elbows. He made 185kg on his opener, then locked this out unevenly for a red light.

Simply amazing show of natural pressing power

YouTube - PTCFrankston's Channel

I am uploading Maxim Bulimin, great example of an arch, he made 165kg @ 79kg, will take a few minutes.

The guys I have posted videos of so far have NO arch, they push their shoulders into the pad, thats not an arch.

Anyway, forget that, check the elbows, all this garbage that you have to tuck them in, its just crap.

Max copped sooooooooooooooo much advice over there. Dont squat so deep, you must arch, take a wider grip, low bar, wider stance etc.

Fact remains, the 3 best lifters in Idaho were Jay Nera, Greg Doucette and Willie Albert.

All 3 squat Olympic style and deep, they all bench elbows wide, no arch and all 3 have superb physiques.

Max wants to be like them when he grows up, check out this compilation video on these Canadians.

Team Canada at WPC Raw Worlds in Idaho Falls | Powerlifting Watch

Thanks for the vids..

I am currently trying to work on my bench.. I feel im at 130 1rm at the moment.

I do feel a lot more comfortable how i am bemching now though..

I guess when you compare it to this its not an arch lol..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPQy0b0j69M&feature=related[/ame]

Milostnoy humps his arse off the bench as he presses. If that's not arching, then you will definitely have to put up some vids of a "real arch" to educate us. n00bs' vid is just a person with more spinal mobility, if Milostnoy could bend his spine like that and get away with it in competition I imagine he'd give it a go.

Doesn't worry me either way. Way I see it, there's training and then there's competition, those are different things. We don't expect footy training to look like a football match, we shouldn't expect lifting training to look like a lifting meet. For example, Annie's knees went in alarmingly on her squat at the CAPO Nats, if that was training and I was training her (never happen of course, just for the sake of argument though) I'd make her knock about 20kgs off the bar and work her up with good form. I see an arch in the bench press the same way. Competition's different though, it's not ballet.

But I have limited experience, may change my mind in future as I learn more.

Ill film my bench press today and i guess ill see where i fit.

EDIT:

Got top video to work.. It sitll looks like arch to me.. Im confused now

lol at Kyle, here you go big fella lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxqcgrPVGg]YouTube - Maxim Bulimin 165kg BP[/ame]

All three Canadians arch, to me.

What do you consider "arch", Markos?

OK I saw the latest video. It just means the guy is more flexible than the others. Most people can't arch that much even if they try to.

sigh, I give up.

Digging your shoulders into the benching is not arching.

If you guys cant tell a difference from the 2 Russian lifters, your in the wrong sport.

Max has a gap between his back and the bench, natural arch, its the "touch" point you guys need to look at

56.jpg

Last edited:
lol at Kyle, here you go big fella lol
WTF, that is insane, that guy should have been in Cirque De Soleil, not a powerlifter.

Obviously I can see the difference between Rubber Man and the other Russian, but I don't know how you can say a guy who is humping his arse off the bench while pressing is showing "no arch."

It all looks stupid to me, should be more like Max's. Can't be good for your back to twist like a snake, f u c k that shit.

A natural arch is still an arch! :p I only arch as much as Max does anyway. You can put your arm between his lower back and the bench.

See, when you say "flat back, no arch", that means something else entirely to most gym lifters. It means completely flat, lower back on the bench, you can't see any gap between lower back and bench at all. When guys bench like that, their torsos are very unstable during the movement and their legs are likely to flap around or go off the floor.

You have a lot to learn, read more.

Lifters arch to reduce the distance between the bar and the touch point, simple as that.

Correct positioning on a bench by digging your shoulders in goes without saying, your confusing the two.

I'm not to keen about how max is holding the bar markos.

On the arch subject, many trainees confuse bodybuilding exercise and powerlifting.
Posted via Mobile Device