• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weights and Military

John555

Banned
Some pub talk. My mate is huge, has a big bench, big biceps, the typical wannabe bodybuilder type. He complained how piss weak and small soldiers looked. I argued they don't need all that bulk and are mainly endurance type athletes (runs, marches, bw) etc. He insists benching 100 kg should be the minimum for all soldiers.

I laughed... What do you guys reckon?

Oh yeh Im not dissing weights or saying they wont help at all, but I think weights wouldnt help THAT much, if much at all for a soldier.

Imo the endurance is more important, but certainly they should maintain a decent strength. I'm actually joining the ADF and the fitness requirements are a bit of a joke imo. 7.5 on the beep test, something like 15 push ups and 20 feet held sit ups. Not hard to do, apart from the beep test I can do double that easily.

Last edited:
Imo the endurance is more important, but certainly they should maintain a decent strength. I'm actually joining the ADF and the fitness requirements are a bit of a joke imo. 7.5 on the beep test, something like 15 push ups and 20 feet held sit ups. Not hard to do, apart from the beep test I can do double that easily.

Have you sat the apptitude test. What jobs could you apply for?

Id like to join the reserves if I ever get fit enough.

Yes I have, I can apply for pretty much any job. I'll probably go with the RAAF doing Aircraft Armament Technician. Which is a trade, also has even lower fitness requirements then I stated before.

I wanna be a gun number or what ever they call them in these days. I like working with my hands. I sat the test in 2004 and found out i could apply for trade jobs. I'll see if I do any better this time round.

The general entry fitness requirments have been lowered over the years to fill the shortage. Special forces fitness tests on the other hand are no joke at all.

The general entry fitness requirments have been lowered over the years to fill the shortage. Special forces fitness tests on the other hand are no joke at all.

Yes thats right, however I don't know why they have lowered them considering we have a back log/waiting list to join most areas.

That's the first round of fitness testing my friend, well for soldiers ect anyway. Not sure about the trades.
Next step would be something like kapuka, and that's no walk in the park.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well for the us marines, to max thier physical fitness test you need to run a 18 minute 5km, do 100 situps in less than 2 minutes and do 20 dead hang no momentum pull ups.

Mate if you can do a standard beep test 15 "easily" (I am assuming implying you could reach 16 or maybe 17), then I am pretty sure that you will have no problems with any cardio fitness tests in the army. 15-17 is the range of most elite athletes.

If they throw in strength, well thats another story.

Mate if you can do a standard beep test 15 "easily" (I am assuming implying you could reach 16 or maybe 17), then I am pretty sure that you will have no problems with any cardio fitness tests in the army. 15-17 is the range of most elite athletes.

If they throw in strength, well thats another story.

Sorry if I didn't word my post well, what I meant was I can do double the sit ups and push ups they want easily. I only get 8.1 on the beep test, i'm not a great runner.

Why would they want a big soldier who needs to eat more and is harder for him to move around? They think food wise or at least they used to.

With a lot of movement now by trucks, planes, helicopters etc you could be a lot bigger and stronger without as much issue. In a hand to hand fight and other close combat stuff it would help.

Why would they want a big soldier who needs to eat more and is harder for him to move around? They think food wise or at least they used to.

This makes sense

They dont want some massive guy who needs to eat 4k calories a day and has trouble running more then 200 meters

Special forces: put on a backpack with 40kg of weights in it, then go for a big 40km run, make sure to include a few big hills. 100kg bench isnt going to help much with that.

A wannabe bodybuilder with huge chesticles will make a bigger target for the enemies to shoot at, especially when he instinctively poses while standing near a reflective surface (like a pond). :p

How's the bench press at all relevant to the kind of strength that a soldier needs anyway? I can understand squat and deadlift, but bench?

He complained how piss weak and small soldiers looked. I argued they don't need all that bulk and are mainly endurance type athletes (runs, marches, bw) etc. He insists benching 100 kg should be the minimum for all soldiers.
I am curious about your mate's experience of military life, and dealing with its challenges. With his extensive experience perhaps he could explain in what situation a soldier will be required to lift 100kg off his chest?
dandexter said:
I'm actually joining the ADF and the fitness requirements are a bit of a joke imo. 7.5 on the beep test, something like 15 push ups and 20 feet held sit ups. Not hard to do, apart from the beep test I can do double that easily.
Don't confuse the minimum standards with the standards needed to avoid having a miserable time on recruit course, or the standards needed to do well. Remember that the minimum standard to enter university is a pass at high school. But if all you managed was 51% in all subjects at school, uni would be a bit of a challenge for you. Likewise with the general entry fitness requirements for the military.

A wannabe bodybuilder with huge chesticles will make a bigger target for the enemies to shoot at, especially when he instinctively poses while standing near a reflective surface (like a pond). :p

How's the bench press at all relevant to the kind of strength that a soldier needs anyway? I can understand squat and deadlift, but bench?

You rock.

Squat, dead-lift and press.

This is universal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im actually in the process of joining the ADF (Army- Rifleman or Artilleryman)... Im currently awaiting my Assessment Day.
The requirements for a male to join the Army (Navy and Air Force is different) is 7.5 shuttle run/ beep test, 15 push-ups and 45 sit-ups.
Special Forces is 10 shuttle run/ beep test, 30 push-ups and 60 sit-ups.
Like stated above, this is the very minimum that they will accept and if you struggle to do that then theres a cross next to your name.
Kapooka is no walk in the park and its designed to make you sweat :)