• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mass Gain Workout Split

Jim_Junkie

Hi I'm going on a mass gain (muscle not fat!!) in a few months and was just wondering your thoughts on my proposed training split

Schedule:

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Back
Thursday - Shoulders / Traps
Friday - Arms
Saturday - Abs + HIIT
Sunday - Rest

Feedback would be great!

1. Too many days.
2. Forget splits, full body for mass gain.
3. Only do compounds.
4. Eat, shit loads.

Simple, not easy.

I agree i have too many days! And of course I'm going to stick to compounds.

But why full body? Are you sure it's more effective than say a 5-day split?

If you want to gain weight you have to train less and spend more time in the kitchen, and if you want to gain mass, your going to have to gain fat, theres no way around that. Just eat to bulk then cut when your happy..

Compounds are effectively full body. A squat for instance will exercise most of the muscles in your body.

To gain real mass, you need to shock your entire body, so it's forced to change. Compounds hit the body damn hard.

I used to to train splits, similar to what you have above, gained no mass for 6 months. Went to 3 days compounds only, gained 10kg.

If you are squatting, daedlifting, benching etc. and are eating, you will pack on muscle.

Have a look at my training log for a program that will put mass on.

I would prefer a 5 or 6 day split that way I can keep things like deadlifts and other compound movements that incorporate similar muscles in different workouts. Also this way I won't be over training any muscles.

What about incorporating at least 1-2 days of HIIT? Can anyone see where i might squeeze it in?

I agree i have too many days! And of course I'm going to stick to compounds.

But why full body? Are you sure it's more effective than say a 5-day split?

That's a debate you won't win on this forum... I have only ever done splits.

Either way will work, it really comes down to diet and rest.

Heres a better one;

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest, tris
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Back, Bis
Friday - Shoulders / Traps
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Ok fair enough, HIIT will slow down your mass gain though, and your abs are already hit hard by deadlifts, squats etc.

You guys both understand that gaining weight happens in the kitchen, right.

Show me your kitchen split.

Try this.

Dont train, just eat, watch your weight go up.

Dont eat, just train, watch your weight go down

Which do you think is responsible for the scales moving in the right direction?

And gym junkie, I agree, you need ab days and hiit, no question, the cornerstone of every mass building routine.

You guys both understand that gaining weight happens in the kitchen, right.

Show me your kitchen split.

Try this.

Dont train, just eat, watch your weight go up.

Dont eat, just train, watch your weight go down

Which do you think is responsible for the scales moving in the right direction?

And gym junkie, I agree, you need ab days and hiit, no question, the cornerstone of every mass building routine.

Thanks PTC! But don't worry I've got all that covered, to me that's the easy bit :p

To me split routine and compund lifts are mutually exclusive. Of course thats not 100% correct all the time, I'm not expert, that's just my view.

popcorn.gif

and if you want to gain mass, your going to have to gain fat, theres no way around that. Just eat to bulk then cut when your happy..
I disagree with that completly and I have personally prooved that statement wrong along with seeing it disprooved by many others. What ever book your reading ditch it!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I disagree with that completly and I have personally prooved that statement wrong along with seeing it disprooved by many others. What ever book your reading ditch it!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought so too, good to see someone else agrees! By eating clean during a bulk I should achieve this...hopefully

It's not the clean factor, it's the surplus calories required to gain muscle, and the surplus calories will lead to some fat gain.

But don't worry I've got all that covered, to me that's the easy bit :p

Post up what you eat in an average day.

As for fat gain, the two most knowledgable people on this forum (Markos and Fadi) agree that if you are bulking, you shouldn't be worrying about fat gain.

Why is it that every second new person seems to post the same garbage:

-Check out my 74 day split, hits each muscle 47 times using 561 different angles. Is this the best way to gain mass?
-How much Jacked should I be taking to look like (insert pro bb here)?
-Should I take my creatine before, during or after the workout?

FFS if they took 2 seconds to read any of the stickied posts, we would save a lot of repeated trash that's been done to death way too many times.

Aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!

/end rant