• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone know of a place in the Adelaide CBD that does boxing?

kindred

I wanna start up boxing but im morbidly obese as the doctors say. Does anyone know of a place that accepts people that just wanna lose some weight while learning how to fight?

I used to do boxing at the Cove Boxing club but they start at 6:00 and I work in the city so it was hard for me to get there. If the place was in the city it would be easier.

I'm glad you're giving boxing a go, its a fun and physically challenging sport. But thats what it is, a sport. If your purpose for learning boxing is for self defense or street fighting, then I would advise against it. The whole boxing guard, the stance, the way you punch, its all geared towards one thing and one thing only, to help you box.

It's a great sport. It's the only sport I like to watch and like to be involved in. I guess I'll be training at home for a while as I can't find a club. I've heard bad things about the local club so I wanna stay away from that one. The other club starts at 6. I get home after 6 :(

Good luck with the boxing, You will find that you will start carrying yourself different with more confidence after a few months.

Boxing is the best. To disagree with the person above, learning to block and punch properly are also two things that make it a great self defense.

As a sport though, it's second to none.

Good luck finding somewhere
Posted via Mobile Device

Boxing is the best. To disagree with the person above, learning to block and punch properly are also two things that make it a great self defense.

As a sport though, it's second to none.

Good luck finding somewhere
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry but punching and blocking with gloves vs bare knuckle are 2 different things.

try to block a punch with no gloves, then do the same with gloves and you will see

I have, a good gym teaches you both. Technique should be taught without gloves first.
Posted via Mobile Device

I still don't think you get it. In boxing the fighters use the gloves and keep their hands close to their face. This works because the size of the gloves provide a kind of cushion or shield. In real life without gloves, the punches will slip through and smash your face.

2nd, You use wrist wraps in boxing which secure the knuckles and keep them in place. In real life you dont have this, which is why a lot of boxers who get into bar fights end up breaking their hands when they punch.

I still don't think you get it. In boxing the fighters use the gloves and keep their hands close to their face. This works because the size of the gloves provide a kind of cushion or shield. In real life without gloves, the punches will slip through and smash your face.

2nd, You use wrist wraps in boxing which secure the knuckles and keep them in place. In real life you dont have this, which is why a lot of boxers who get into bar fights end up breaking their hands when they punch.

Then what would you suggest for self defense?

I prefer boxing as i like it as a sport but you gotta think of everything these days with all the thugs and what not.

If boxing isn't a good self defense why don't you prove it, go try and mug tyson or green...

Kindred, don't listen to this tool, boxing is one of the best forms of sport/fitness and self defense. But if u want to try an alternative krav magar (sp?) is probably the go.
Posted via Mobile Device

No worries. I haven't yet found a boxing club. I may end up doing karate again as it seems to be the only thing in my area.