• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats the best slow release carb?

djlitzow10

I was just wondering which is the best carb to eat regulary through the day,

Everyone says sweet patatoes but arent they high in carbs?

Actually brown rice has a gi of about 50

Apples have 34
Strawberries 40
Cherries 22
Grapefruit 25
Plums 24

Also apples have a lower glycimic load then brown rice...

Actually brown rice has a gi of about 50

Apples have 34
Strawberries 40
Cherries 22
Grapefruit 25
Plums 24

Also apples have a lower glycimic load then brown rice...

Depends on the amount though, as I know the higher amount of cherrys you eat the higher the G.I becomes ;) I read that in a diabetic book somwhere...

Depends on the amount though, as I know the higher amount of cherrys you eat the higher the G.I becomes ;) I read that in a diabetic book somwhere...
I think what the diabetic book meant to say has nothing to do with the GI factor (as that doesn't change) once it is established for a particular food; it's the GL that this book you're referring to must have been talking about (or had failed to mention).

So basically the question is this: Does the GI increase with serving size? If I eat twice as much, does the GI double? You Daniel used the words "higher amount" of cherries, which is basically increasing the quantity of that particular food eaten.

The answer is this:

The GI never changes from the original reading even if you increase the amount of carbohydrate in your meal. This is because the GI is a relative ranking of foods containing the "same amount" of carbohydrate. But if you increase the amount of food you eat, you should expect to see a higher blood glucose response, and that goes back to what I was saying regarding the GL index which by the way has this as its formula:

GL = (GI x the amount of carbohydrate) divided by 100.

Here's a copy and paste example for you to make the picture clearer:

Let’s take a single apple as an example. It has a GI of 40 and it contains 15 grams of carbohydrate.

GL = 40 x 15/100 = 6 g

What about a small baked potato? Its GI is 80 and it contains 15 g of carbohydrate.

GL = 80 x 15/100 = 12 g.

So we can predict that our potato will have twice the metabolic effect of an apple. You can think of GL as the amount of carbohydrate in a food ‘adjusted’ for its glycemic potency.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks fado, thus the fruit is a better choice .. Plus a lot more nutrients and soluble fibre.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think what the diabetic book meant to say has nothing to do with the GI factor (as that doesn't change) once it is established for a particular food; it's the GL that this book you're referring to must have been talking about (or had failed to mention).

So basically the question is this: Does the GI increase with serving size? If I eat twice as much, does the GI double? You Daniel used the words "higher amount" of cherries, which is basically increasing the quantity of that particular food eaten.

The answer is this:

The GI never changes from the original reading even if you increase the amount of carbohydrate in your meal. This is because the GI is a relative ranking of foods containing the "same amount" of carbohydrate. But if you increase the amount of food you eat, you should expect to see a higher blood glucose response, and that goes back to what I was saying regarding the GL index which by the way has this as its formula:

GL = (GI x the amount of carbohydrate) divided by 100.

Here's a copy and paste example for you to make the picture clearer:

Let’s take a single apple as an example. It has a GI of 40 and it contains 15 grams of carbohydrate.

GL = 40 x 15/100 = 6 g

What about a small baked potato? Its GI is 80 and it contains 15 g of carbohydrate.

GL = 80 x 15/100 = 12 g.

So we can predict that our potato will have twice the metabolic effect of an apple. You can think of GL as the amount of carbohydrate in a food ‘adjusted’ for its glycemic potency.

Fadi.

By GL - You mean glycemic load yes?

If so it all makes sense, thanks for clearing it up...

Though I don't pay much attention to G.I as I think it is a poor tool for choosing good foods as you may eat mars bars or nutella which is mis leading the population on making good health choices...

But thats another story I guesss...

Cheers

I also heard fruit is a slower releasing carb, slower than even potatoes, oats or brown rice. Thats why I never really got why people say cut out fruit when cutting, yet advocate eating oats and brown rice. I