• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Mate, you are 177cm and 76kg. If you are a healthy young male at that size, you have no business cutting.

Get to a bodyweight of at least 85kg with a 60kg overhead press, 100kg squat, 140kg deadlift, a dozen chinups, and then see how you look.

When you bulk, that oh-so-horrendous fat below your belly button will reappear anyway. So forget about it. Before you get a sixpack, build an icebox to put it in.

At the moment, if you are a "steak", then you are just veal scallopini. Let's make you a big porterhouse at least.

Last edited:
don't forget I already bulked for 9 months to get from 68kgs to 80kgs! i don't weigh much now, but i was really skinny before i started. i also know that this type of fat is the last to burn off, so you guys really think I should add more fat before I start trying to get rid of it?

nope - i'm cutting. maybe I only need to do it for a month or 6 weeks but i'm cutting. i don't need advice there, i need advice on where I can add some extra work to make it faster.

im going to swap to Fadi's movement through space routine (3x week full body).

run for 30-40 minutes on my non lifting days?
run for my 30 minute break at work on any day (including lifting days?)

Run and waste away all that muscle.
Do what kyle suggested. You have no business doing all that running unless you plan to train for a marathon.

steak, 80kg at 177cm is skinny. Eat some steak, often.

Like Shrek says, by running all your going to do is waste away the muscle you do have.

Im 90kg at 178cm, and I wouldnt dream of cutting now.

Sigh. I think we've lost him. Our society wants men and women to be weakling twigs. "Don't take up space! Be small!" What are we, fcking communists or something?

Sigh.

nope - i'm cutting. maybe I only need to do it for a month or 6 weeks but i'm cutting. i don't need advice there, i need advice on where I can add some extra work to make it faster.
Fair enough, its your body...

But I'd suggest ditching all that running. The best way to cut is to do heavy squats. Seriously!

OK, eat at your maintenance level based on your BMR. Simple.

Now, add extra heavy intense compound workouts and watch the fat burn away. Add in a HIIT session each week and you'll be the Greek Adonis before the new squeeze turns up in a months time.

Quit running off your muscles and focus on shifting the fat instead. Compound weights and a HIIT sprints or burpees session.

Simple.

Cheers,
Mike

My best fat loss period was when I was hitting 20 rep widowmaker squats for two months and eating a lot.

u no wat, this thread is like me. only i cannot seem to cut, and when i gain it is fat. nor does my strength seem to improve greatly.

Fair enough, its your body...

But I'd suggest ditching all that running. The best way to cut is to do heavy squats. Seriously!

OK, eat at your maintenance level based on your BMR. Simple.

Now, add extra heavy intense compound workouts and watch the fat burn away. Add in a HIIT session each week and you'll be the Greek Adonis before the new squeeze turns up in a months time.

Quit running off your muscles and focus on shifting the fat instead. Compound weights and a HIIT sprints or burpees session.

Simple.

Cheers,

Mike

awesome! thanks for some considered advice.

this is my 3x a week routine, just started it.. sounds like its perfect:

1.Squats--------------------------------------------------------4 x4-7
2a.Chin ups to the front (wide grip)-----------------------------2x 4-7
2b.Chin ups (close grip palms facing you)-----------------------2x 4-7
3.Push ups/weighed--------------------------------------------3 x4-7
4.Romanian pulls-----------------------------------------------4 x4-7
5.Standing military press (exception to the rule)----------------3 x4-7
6.Dips (elbows close by side)------------------------------------2 x4-7

you guys have got me scared about running now though. haha, doesn't help that I hate it anyway. maybe I'll drive over to my oldies and use their rowing machine on some brutal resistance setting instead :p

If you want to cut and maintain what muscle you have.. just eat less.. and try and keep your lifts stable.. if you find you are losing strength that probably means you are cutting too much! Trial and error I guess.

You tried sprinting Steak? Repeated sprints or lighter weight lifts for time.

Don't forget this bit Steak. I said you need a HIIT session in there too. Sprints are as good as any. Not jogging for 5km, that does nothing. It improves your aerobic fitness but does little for fat loss. To be honest, a 30min walk at 60% max heart rate every day will do more for fat loss than a 30min jog/run at 80-90%. I've got two border collies, so I've got no choice but to go for a brisk half hour walk every evening. Works wonders... ;)

Fadi posted a thread on HIIT here somewhere, go have a read.

Otherwise, that 3x weekly session looks good. Do that for reps, add a HIIT sprint day and keep your calories clean and at maintenance for BMR and you'll be right.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Mike

i'm gonna do my HIIT on a rower with some resistance settings! it's gonna be awful! haha

3x a week

1.Squats--------------------------------------------------------4 x4-7
2a.Chin ups to the front (wide grip)-----------------------------2x 4-7
2b.Chin ups (close grip palms facing you)-----------------------2x 4-7
3.Push ups/weighed--------------------------------------------3 x4-7
4.Romanian pulls-----------------------------------------------4 x4-7
5.Standing military press (exception to the rule)----------------3 x4-7
6.Dips (elbows close by side)------------------------------------2 x4-7
7a. Sit Ups-----------------------------------------------------2x12
7b. Leg Raises (i have some ankle weights too!)------------------2x6-8

1x a week

20 min HIIT on rower or on hoofs

one more thing.. the Romanian pulls. I've read a bit about them and a lot of it says they're a difficult lift to do right so Ill likely do stiff legged or regular deadlifts..

I wish there was a way I could put bent over pulls in there, i love those.

MikeW and everyone else who gave me advice that applied to me so far, thanks!

ok great, are you going to eat like an animal?
I love that, can I use it? :D

Meat and plants and nothing processed. If an omnivore in the wild wouldn't eat it, then you shouldn't.

Permission to cook food first though... ;)

All good Steak. Keep us posted. And we want 110% effort on every set too. Push hard, eat clean, HIIT once a week. Take before pictures now, it will help keep you motivated.

Cheers,
Mike