• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WANT: vertical jump incr.

shaunton

I do alot of sport which demands a good vertical jump.

Unfortunately, genetically, the part of my calves which develop greatest is the side part of the calf muscle (tibialis anterior- I think).

I have been longing to increase the back part (gastrocnemius), which hopefully, if not just for visibly making my legs more proportionate, also help make my vertical jump increase.
----------------

I am open to any advice regarding anything, even bizzare methods for training this part of the calf if anyone can help me

Or even how to have my feet while doing calf raises etc. HELP!!

squat.

for the calves i heard that you should do a sitting calf raise and a standing one. as to hit all the muscles. sets of 20. hit them 3 times a week

squat.

for the calves i heard that you should do a sitting calf raise and a standing one. as to hit all the muscles. sets of 20. hit them 3 times a week

Squat and practice your vertical leap (box jumps etc) then squat some more.

Calves have nothing to do with jumping or improving the height of the jump.
Landing- yes.
In fact the larger the calve the less advantage it will be.
Posted via Mobile Device

cheers every1, silverback, i have myself felt improvement from doing calves, so i guess it can come down to the individual...

I will probably work in practicing vertical jumps, continue with st. calf raises, and try and get PT to teach me squat properly. thanks for all your help every1.

Shaun, listen to Silverback, then look at a pic of MJ calves, or VC, then comeback and apologize.

I've posted up on here somewhere how Max registered 34" vert off 1 step at school a couple of months ago.

you guys know I dont have calf machine lol. But he certainly deadlifts/squats/cleans

Shaun, not sure if you are a dumbass or naive, but if your asking a question, you dont know the answer, so if someone answers, listen, coz you dont know.

How much are you squatting, deadlifting and cleaning and at what bw, thats all the info we need.

errr okay... im not a dumbass... and certainly not naive...

different people have different goals for different reasons, I play alot of sport, so risking injury etc is very costly. I dont go for 1 rep maxes in anything at the moment, but maybe ill get back on that one. I can comfortably do 60kg x 3 sets x 10 reps bout 2 months ago, but I have been trying to mix routine etc around and will be getting back to them soon.

Umm and squats... I am just trying to not do them until I get PT'd and then know I wont injure myself.

I put up a link as my siggy to my log, and my first entry was legs. check it out. But keep in mind b4 slandering me, I commit to sport and dont go for pure white fibre tissue and 1 rep max's.

Try jumping of the ground using your calves, your feet will not leave the ground.

Train your calves if you want I couldn't give a fat rats klacker really.

But you are misguided if you think by building your calve muscle will improve your goal or whatever it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

The function is to act as a shock absorber.
It's the hip that were power comes from.

A good sprinter has a very short and small calve but a huge arse.
The hevier the calve - the more energy is needed to pull the leg through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why is it the ones who cant jump tell us why they cant do the exercises that make you jump higher.

Big ass, small calves, big ups, think NBA

Agreed

The function is to act as a shock absorber.
It's the hip that were power comes from.

A good sprinter has a very short and small calve but a huge arse.
The hevier the calve - the more energy is needed to pull the leg through.
Posted via Mobile Device

You definately got me agreeing here. Proportionately I do have a big, muscley glute area... I always have... I am just trying to fill gaps and generally strengthen my legs for the purpose of this thread...

shaunton, stop pissing me off, just get your dead-arse under the bar and squat.

Waiting for a PT!? phuck me, that's priceless and typical.

you guys make it out that having large calves is bad for vertical jump.

i naturally have large calves, my glutes/thighs/quads are larger than average too.

is having large calves limiting my vertical jump, if so, how can i have smaller calves?

i look at nate robinson and he's got large calves. don't tell me he can't jump.

Chill?

shaunton, stop pissing me off, just get your dead-arse under the bar and squat.

Waiting for a PT!? phuck me, that's priceless and typical.

Yeah I dunno mate, maybe take a chill pill or go off the thread.

I have no idea what pisses you off, keep in mind I have been on this site for like 24 hours or something. I am taking in all ideas and believe it or not I am listening and considering getting a good mate to watch my technique etc...

I am not trying to offend anyone, at all. Just coz I dont squat now, doesnt mean next week I cant get into it etc.

lol, I dont think they are saying to chop out some mass man.
I think they are saying, focus on other area's and forget about training your calves if you want to jump higher.

size means nothing.
if your squatting and doing plyo's/ jumping and your calves get bigger that is good. if your squatting and doing plyo's and your calves dont change, doesn't matter. size is a by product, not the aim.

its also heavy genetic.

size will take care of itself if your training and food are good

Yeah no worries bro. I usually do like 1 exercise a week max for calves anyway. Just something on my mind as like a goal. I definately will be trying to record increases in my jump etc and see what works etc. And get into squats when I feel confident etc.