• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WANT: vertical jump incr.

The dips will come. I can only get 24 bw dips, but can do sets of 8 with 30kg added. Have you tried?

Also, nothing gives your back that fullness quite like a wide grip, dead hang pull up.
Should start hitting them instead of the CG sometimes.

EDIT: Why are you awake at those un-godly hours for? Get some sleep boy! :D

-Yeah I know... I have insomnia :confused: - infact its one of the reasons I do weights, the DOMS helps me to sleep at less ungodly hours :p
-cheers for the advice, I did bicepts normal grip full length chins yesterday (yet to post) and will get into them really soon dont worry :p (Wide grip)
-I will try next sesh to do dips, weighted and see what I can do - probs not many reps, but I might do more sets. (and thanks for the inspiration too ^.^)

You definitely need some help with your vertical.

I have a client who is 18, 6'8" and 137kg and he tested 59cm at an NFL camp.

Max tested at 86cm.

Great to see you enjoy squatting, along with cleans and deadlifts, they are the key.

-Yeah I know mate :/ my jump aint terrific, I have a really good lunge -from doing squash etc. But I never worked on jump (or squats for that matter - unfortunately).
-I am starting to practice doing cleans, they are like the funnest upper body movement ever (maybe next to dips-my fav)...
-Definately going to get back into deadlifts shortly (again)
-Thanks for helping me etc earlier, sorry for seeming like a doosh (I think thats the consensus for my behaviour) and any tips etc for cleans and anything I will gladly take - to help my jump, cheers.

-I am starting to practice doing cleans, they are like the funnest upper body movement ever (maybe next to dips-my fav)...

I hope you are doing cleans right because the power should be coming from your hips, its not an upper body exercise its full body.

Also are these dips proper dips or bench dips?

This may help, it was filmed a year ago I think

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTm4Sn-G0XI]YouTube - powercleans[/ame]

This may help, it was filmed a year ago I think

Thanks PTC, also... when I said upper, I was thinking of clean and press :/
-Clean and press is fun, havent really tried just to do powercleans... Guess it would enable more weight, of course given the correct technique etc...

Also are these dips proper dips or bench dips?

-I can do both pretty well, I do note which one I do, and I keep it consistent.

-For me trying to improve my dips though, I was refering to the 'straight up and down ones' which are more tricept, not the 'leaning forward' (bench type) dips.

sorry for seeming like a doosh (I think thats the consensus for my behaviour)

You aint a doosh mate, at least I don't think so anyway. You've got a unique way of expressing things at times which cracked me up initially, but I like your enthusiasm for training, keep it up.

For me trying to improve my dips though, I was refering to the 'straight up and down ones' which are more tricept, not the 'leaning forward' (bench type) dips.

The bench dips that Dave was referring to are not the way you described. Leaning forward dips that you described are chest dips. Here's a link to it:

Chest Dip

Bench dips are like this:

Bench Dip

Thanks DKD, I just couldn't bring myself to correct him one more time.

Lol probably because I call the exercises and muscles what I want :p lots of ppl call things differently (except for bicep, not bicept :D)

You aint a doosh mate, at least I don't think so anyway. You've got a unique way of expressing things at times which cracked me up initially, but I like your enthusiasm for training, keep it up.

Wow votes are 1: Shaunton=not a doosh, infinity symbol: Shaunton is.

-Also what do you think the big advantage of bench dips is? I guess if I couldnt do 'proper dips'?
-So yeah, I did mean the dips where your body is vertical (they are the ones I enjoy)

what do you think the big advantage of bench dips is? I guess if I couldnt do 'proper dips'?
-So yeah, I did mean the dips where your body is vertical (they are the ones I enjoy)

When you say you can't do 'proper dips' I assume you're referring to chest dips. You should try and get good at these. Lean forward, head down, tuck your chin in and have elbows slightly out to the side.

The vertical style you're referring to would be focusing on the triceps I suppose, I don't really do them this way, so not sure. I'd imagine there are better exercises for triceps. Skullcrushers, cgbp and I have done bench dips a few times in the past for triceps. I like them, they seem to hit the shoulders and pecs a bit too.

:) dont worry, I am very familiar with forward leaning dips, very acquainted with them, so to speak. I used to do a mix of both tricep concentrated, and chest concentrated. I havent done dips at all since I started squats, however, I will start next week. Probably the leaning forward ones.
-I have never done bench dips, probably wont ever, not really necessary for me.

After all those pages of wacky posts you still need to asks WTF question Markos?
Posted via Mobile Device

In response to the initial question - [ as I haven't read any of the replies ] - it depends how you're testing your vertical jump (if it's for test performance).

You should be strength and power training as specific to the demands you require; therefore squatting will assist with regards to your strength base in the vertical direction, however, weighted squat-jumps (and bodyweight countermovement jumps); and plyometric exercises will certainly assist transcending towards improved power production in the vertical direction - which is primarily the measure of what vertical jump testing represents.

If it's for testing purposes, and if you are therefore allowed to use an armswing; it has been demonstrated in studies that training your shoulders can improve your vertical jump by up to 10% - (as the power of your arm swing no doubt contributes to movement velocity; which forms part of what underlies power production).

If it's for performance purposes - both suggestions above will be beneficial.

WTF have dips got to do with vertical leap???????????????

Good call, a bit off topic I think :/

Also, cheers nicolas, pretty much the conclusion we've met (before random dips tangent). Good to know about shoulders aswell by the way :D

the guys sounds like he's taking a shit load of speed... got a hell of vertical jump though...

Well he is pretty funny lols. One hell of a jump, thats for sure. I think i have improved my max standing vertical by about 5cm. I attribute it to deadlifts mostly, and partly on squats which I should be doing alot more of...

Not only have I increased my vertical, but I tire less from jumping my max during sport etc (which i try to pump out my highest jumps during), slow progress compared to what some people have done, but Im happy with any improvements....

I wish I could do that stuff. It is my motivation for fat lose all that extra weight just weighs me down. That guy is awsome great vid!

I wish I could do that stuff. It is my motivation for fat lose all that extra weight just weighs me down. That guy is awsome great vid!

Yeah well doing any extra training like this stuff (sport included) can help with weight loss, I started playing 1 extra sport and lost 3-4kg in less than a month!!!, and I was a healthy weighted mesomorph to begin with (and reasonably toned already)...

But your deadlifts seem to be at a good weight... do you do much cardio?