• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WANT: vertical jump incr.

nice!

size means nothing.
if your squatting and doing plyo's/ jumping and your calves get bigger that is good. if your squatting and doing plyo's and your calves dont change, doesn't matter. size is a by product, not the aim.

its also heavy genetic.

size will take care of itself if your training and food are good

Thanks haz, sound advice. Thats my line of thinking how you said it, I am in for longterm, so eventual gain is what Im aimed at, not quick goals like summer body etc

Why are you so special? Many people improve their vert by doing plyros, squats, deads. Why are you the only person that improves their vert with calve raises?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQfTgqQBok]YouTube - Frank Yang - Training Mix Tape 2006 - 2007[/ame]

This guy has a 40 inch standing vert, check out what he does.

Why are you so special? Many people improve their vert by doing plyros, squats, deads. Why are you the only person that improves their vert with calve raises?

Thanks mate. That video was proper insane. I appreciate the post, I really do. I might read up on 'plyros' and I never said I was special, I just thought why not ask people for ideas. And that video certainly gave me some excellent training ideas, so thanks heaps for that john :)

This thread should be made a sticky, as an example of how NOT to treat a newb asking for advice. Fuq me dead, unbelievable.

The video of Frank Young is a great example of how to train (minus some slight form issue and training in a G string). Dumbbell snatches, squats, cleans, box jumps, sprints, broad jumps, 1 legged squats, 1 legged lifts those are the kind of lifts you need to be doing. Now this does not mean go out and do them all but you need a good plan first. From your log your strength is way too low to get you anywhere. Frank here lifts a huge amount for his bodyweight and he can lift a huge amount fast too. Learn from that.

Also you do not need a PT to teach you how to squat it is pretty simple. If you have an issue post a video on here of your technique and we can go through it for you. Babies have beautiful squat form so you most definitely have squatted properly before and no one taught you then. Just get under the bar and you will be fine, start light and progress every session. I would suggest Rippetoes Starting Strength (read the book, watch the vids and do the program) use it to get your strength up and after 6 months assess where you are at.

Don't worry about Silverback he is jut a cranky old man at youngsters who do not seem to listen (I read the whole thread and that is how you came off at the start). Same goes for Markos. The thing is though they gave you great advice, start squatting and stop worrying.

I've helped a basketballer achieve a great vertical jump through, yep, you guessed it: Heavy squats. Followed straight up with plyo squat jumps, done really explosively. Have a read up on post activation potentiation and performance, if you want to go more in depth physiology wise.

Yeah I dunno mate, maybe take a chill pill or go off the thread.

I have no idea what pisses you off, keep in mind I have been on this site for like 24 hours or something. I am taking in all ideas and believe it or not I am listening and considering getting a good mate to watch my technique etc...

I am not trying to offend anyone, at all. Just coz I dont squat now, doesnt mean next week I cant get into it etc.

Don't take it to heart, welcome to ausbb & stick around.

Thanks every1, been reading up on plyo's and those sorts of things. Watching youtube vids for techniques etc... definately wouldnt mind doing some 1-legged, and runs on just calf boosting - like that guy posted above... and record any progress i make in jump height etc. thanks all who helped :)

the part of my calves which develop greatest is the side part of the calf muscle (tibialis anterior- I think).

I have been longing to increase the back part (gastrocnemius), which hopefully, if not just for visibly making my legs more proportionate, also help make my vertical jump increase.
Touch along the edge of your shin, then raise your toes to the roof, the muscle that contracts along the outside edge of your shinbone is your tibialis anterior. The gastrocnemius and the soleus are the muscles of the back of the calves that let you stand on tip-toe.

As others have said, your vertical jump comes mostly from glutes and hamstrings; but glutes and hamstrings are weak in most Westerners, because we spend all day sitting on them. This is why basketballers and footy players so often pull their hammies, they leap up and take it too far for their hamstrings, twang.

Thus, deep squats and deadlifts will be most beneficial. If you find it hard to get depth in the squat, spread your stance. Your flexibility will increase over time.

You'd think it'd be mostly calves, but funnily enough it's not. But think about it in some detail and it makes more sense - the closer you get to the centre of the body, the bigger the muscles get, so the greater force and power they can put out. Which is bigger, your calves or your bum? Your bum, I hope.

You may or may not need a trainer/coach to teach you the lifts. Your gym should have a competent instructor who can teach you, if not, find a new gym. If you hear "don't go below parallel," or "keep your toes forwards" or anything like that, find a new gym. Some people figure it out all on their own, but in general the people I've seen with self-taught squats and deadlifts tend to have shallow squats and deadlifts using mostly their lower backs. There are common errors people make which are easily fixed, but which need a pair of eyes outside the lifter.

A good sprinter has a very short and small calve but a huge arse. The hevier the calve - the more energy is needed to pull the leg through.
not trying to troll. but strangely my best mate is a really good sprinter and his calves are quite large and and long. hahahaa which is weird. but he has a slight ghetto booty. soooo 1 out of 2 isnt bad.

Yeah I dunno mate, maybe take a chill pill or go off the thread.

I have no idea what pisses you off, keep in mind I have been on this site for like 24 hours or something. I am taking in all ideas and believe it or not I am listening and considering getting a good mate to watch my technique etc...

I am not trying to offend anyone, at all. Just coz I dont squat now, doesnt mean next week I cant get into it etc.

Potentially, the reason why people become frustrated with you is because
- they have many years experience more than you or i and you still do not pay attention to all information they provide
- from observation you have come off the mark strong with the amount of posts you have made.

When I was playing soccer and doing gym my gym instructor suggested
Squats, Box jumps and bounds with sprints training.

good luck with the progression of your vertical jump.

Got between 50-51 on some measurement that looks bigger than cm, but less than inches :/ not sure what the hell it is, but 2 mates got 45ish. So I am doing basketball specific plyo like jump shots. Also I started squatting yesterday and predict addiction (it was fun as!!)

I am cutting leg press and calf raises till I plateau in squats. And will continue basketball specific plyo and measuring jump at least monthly, and mayb practice jumps etc (plyo style).

in a vert leap there is plantarflexion of the foot so the gastroc would be used a tiny bit,but if ur doing calf raises to improve ur vert jump than ur wasting ur time! LMAO! do heavy squats and heavy deadlifts at about the 5 rep range,,,,,if ur a complete noob u could dumbell deadlift with around 3 sets of 3 reps. but mix it up every few weeks. do some sessions where u do 1 rep dumbell deadlifts. when u lift the weight dont lower it just drop it and walk away and rest. they all work but variety will be one of the key things!
.....this will improve ur vert jump

thanks, i have begun squats. check my training log if you like. i aint afraid of the barbell deadlifts :p used to do them often. my program now is mainly bench, squats and chinups essentially. with another chest/back/legs exercise chucked in. i completely stopped isolation movements, altho i mite continue doing dips.

Dips arent really an isolation man. Im very much pro dip!

Are your chins wide grip and plams away from you?

unfortunately at the moment, just to be motivated to do chins/to actually be able to do a few, I do close grip, palms facing. And I love dips :) I can do like 20-30 for 1 set, or 15 x 3 or more. Last time I tried I was doing weighted dips, by end of the year I wanna be able to do a 20kg added weights to dips x 10 reps... probs wont happen, but im going to build toward it :)

The dips will come. I can only get 24 bw dips, but can do sets of 8 with 30kg added. Have you tried?

Also, nothing gives your back that fullness quite like a wide grip, dead hang pull up.
Should start hitting them instead of the CG sometimes.

EDIT: Why are you awake at those un-godly hours for? Get some sleep boy! :D

Got between 50-51 on some measurement that looks bigger than cm, but less than inches :/ not sure what the hell it is, but 2 mates got 45ish. So I am doing basketball specific plyo like jump shots. Also I started squatting yesterday and predict addiction (it was fun as!!)

I am cutting leg press and calf raises till I plateau in squats. And will continue basketball specific plyo and measuring jump at least monthly, and mayb practice jumps etc (plyo style).

You definitely need some help with your vertical.

I have a client who is 18, 6'8" and 137kg and he tested 59cm at an NFL camp.

Max tested at 86cm.

Great to see you enjoy squatting, along with cleans and deadlifts, they are the key.