• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jim_Junkie

Whenever I do EZ-Bar / Barbell Curls I'm really wobbly and feel my core having to stabilize as opposed to feeling a burn from tension in my biceps. So instead I just do concentration curls and other stuff sitting down.

My question is: Would doing standing bar curls improve my core stability i.e. will it get better over time?

Last edited:
Any exercise done standing with proper form will incease the strength of muscluture supporting the spine over a protracted period.

The standing barbell curl is an underated exercise seldomly worked hard.

A template focusing on single joint movements and exercise performed seated should only be considered by trainees who have been training for many years and have built a strong body from standing multiple joint movements.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
What Silverback said!!

Stand up and do it with the bar. If you find you're hip thrusting to assist then drop the weight a bit until the thrust is gone. Just bend your knees a little bit so they're not locked out, tense your glutes and core, start the rep at the bottom with a slight bend in your elbows so its not full hang extension and concentrate through the contraction to the top.

Its an easy form exercise with huge benefits, do not neglect it.

Cheers,
Mike

I will often at the end of a workout load the bar at the squat rack - go to fatigue reduce the weight and repeat - finishing with negatives; I swing the bar up and slowly lower it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will often at the end of a workout load the bar at the squat rack - go to fatigue reduce the weight and repeat - finishing with negatives; I swing the bar up and slowly lower it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good plan, that would really flog your arms working to failure and then the negatives. Not sure about bicep curls in the squat rack though, I presume that's your home gym and your not really a rack hog.

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah I will do standing bar curls to improve my stability for now, but when it comes down to training biceps I will stick to what I've already got going, it's hard to beat.

I remember reading an article about bicep activation throughout exercise, measured with emg... Feom what i recall cgpu's were a standout. I like to follow the general rule, the more weight used, the better the exercise (machines need not apply).
Also rippetoe say's when doing heavy bb curls, to a shoulder width grip with straight bar for maximum rom.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember reading an article about bicep activation throughout exercise, measured with emg... Feom what i recall cgpu's were a standout. I like to follow the general rule, the more weight used, the better the exercise (machines need not apply).
Also rippetoe say's when doing heavy bb curls, to a shoulder width grip with straight bar for maximum rom.
Posted via Mobile Device

T NATION | Inside the Muscles: Best Back and Biceps Exercises

I've never liked preacher curls, to my mind the pad should be in a higher position so that the upper arm is above the shoulder.

The old half moon curl bench is a better option.
Posted via Mobile Device