• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nut butter!

Hey guys.
I just got a food processer and made my first batch or organic, unroasted peanut butter. Turned out pretty damn good if I do say so myself :).

Im thinking, why just make peanut butter when there are a whole range of great nuts out there waiting to be made into a delicious spread.

Id like to get a full range of fats, but im not sure what ratios are ideal (mono-unsaturated, polyunsaturated, saturated). Once I know that, I can start choosing my nuts!

This mix was just peanuts with macadamia oil.

Any help would be much appreciated :).

BTW- If anybody would like to try "Scotts Nut Paste", just come round :D

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful sticky but I just have to say natural peanut butter is DELICIOUS! so hard to beat

Last edited:
My peanut butter isn't roasted. I was thinking you may lose some nutritional value being roasted, which is why I'm now making my own raw spread. I have done no research into the effects roasting has though, so I could be wasting my time lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would also like to make my own. I always buy Sanatarium natural peanut butter, the ingredients says they only use nuts, however its made from local and imported ingredients and in other words some of the nuts come from overseas and i'm not interested in that.

Making it myself i would leave the oil out and make it neat.... and crunchy of course. I'll keep my eye open for local nuts (not supermarket ones as they wont be fresh) next i'm out and about.

Would there be any other nuts i could use besides peanuts?

Thats what I wanted to know mate. Almonds and cashews seem to be good.

Also, you will need to add oil. If you don't, it will just be chips of peanuts. They are just not oily enough (or my food processor isn't very good) to be used by them selves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just made a batch of cashew butter. I used Extra virgin olive oil to moisten it. Knew we had some cashews the other half bought recently so the wife will be happy i've blended her nuts. hehe.

I was under the impression that the oil would come out of the nuts when blended but that didnt happen as Sticky says.

^^ depends on type of food processor.

Peanut oil is good to use when making peanut butter :p

Heating does help the oils come out more. That's why roasting the peanuts before chucking them in the microprocessor is better than just putting them in raw.

Not when they're on special! 750g for $4. I love walnuts.

Tried making walnut butter a while ago though, and a bit "over" roasted the nuts. Burnt flavouring isn't great for nut butter...or anything really. Consistancey/texture was spot on though!

Depends how long you "roast" them for. All you need to do is pop 'em in a relatively high heat oven for like 5 minutes absolute tops. You're not wanting to make them crispy or really "roast" them in the traditional sense, you're really just heating them up so it causes them to release their oils.

First try I did it for 10 minutes as that was the "recommended". I threw out half of em due to burning.

Or if you like you can find almost ANY oil in specialty/health food stores. Walnut/almond/macadamia so for what ever nut butter you're making you can use the corresponding oil to help. Yet to find pecan oil though. I love Pecans.

^ as iron said don't roast them too long and keep a close eye on them unless you like eating charcoal.

As far as a change in macros, I've read that roasting them for too long can cause hydrogenation of the unsaturated fats which is a bad thing, but i believe it requires high temperatures for quite an extended period of time. If you keep it lightly roasted which is what we're after when using it to make nut butter since we just want some of those natural oils to ooze out, then it should be fine/similar in terms of macros.