• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to Bench Press Correctly and save your Shoulders

My entire client base trains to get bigger/stronger/faster.

We happen to compete in a few powerlifting meets.

Powerlifters use techniques to simply lift more weight, arching in the bench, wide stance squats etc.

Please dont make me bring up old stories of a PL who totals 800kg + at PA who couldnt pick up and press my PTC DB or 93kg Atlas Stone. Daryl at 65kg pressed the DB for reps and 70kg Nick picked the stone up effortlessly on his first attempt.

Powerlifting techniques are used to move more weight in a PL comp.

How many of you guys posting have competed in a PL meet?

Get strong first.

Heres some advice that may not go over too well with some of you.

For those of you that bench less than 140kg, get strong at pressing before you worry about feet, shoes etc.

Too many major in the minor shit. Become a strong presser first.

i like this, i need a slap around the head now and then to remind me of my primary mission; get bigger and stronger

but theres always going to be the ego that wants to lift maximum weight

I train to get bigger and stronger. I also lift in meets for fun.
The video shows how to bench safely and efficiently. That is all.
Is anybody actually arguing against that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you want efficient Scott?

Change your totally inneficient (but perfect) squat action to a low bar, wide stance, lean forward powerlifting one, to just on parallel, rather than ass on the floor close stance you use.

Efficient? Yes. Good for quad mass? No.

Dont be selective in your lifting morals Scott.

Ill have another go :p
Do I want to be an efficient powerlifteing squatter, no. I want to squat atg and grow some mass.
Do I want to be a safe and efficient bencher, yes.
Do I want to be bigger/faster/stronger? Yes.

I don't understand how benching with proper technique can be anything but good or why I can't be selective in how I train....

Last edited:
Lol I had another go :p.
At the end of the day, it's up to the person on how they do anything.
I think it's a good video, and something well worth taking note of.
Posted via Mobile Device

I cant resist.

Scott, are you so unable to see that your squatting action has FAR more chance of injuring you than your bench, yet thats not the one your adjusting.

If your true concern is not getting injured, you best change your squat action. Once you get strong, you will get hurt. Just ask Nick. He has had to change his squat twice now. He spends as much time recovering as he does training.

Its okay with the pissy weights your using now, but soon you too will be injured, yet your worried more about BP, amazing.

Your entire training is a contradiction. Why would you not want to bench in a way that will give you more mass in the upper body yet you will in the squat?

You will get hurt soon, but it wont be on the bench.

Woohoo...three pages on how to bench press, no doubt next month there will be another.
All riveting stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did have this conversation with nick actually, and it's something that has been on my mind. I can see that atg, fast squatting is dangerous, however that's not what this thread is about.
I don't think I said I changed my bench for safety, if that was the case, I certianly would not go as wide as I do. You've seen my arms, I need all the help I can get. That's the main reason I changed my bench.

If you would like to suggest things to try for my squat, I'm all ears, but in my journal please. Let's keep this thread about bench technique.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice little bit of argy bargy going on...

How's this for a summary then: Get your form right so you can lift safely and strong then just SFW and keep adding plates. Don't get too caught up on the precise degree angle your supposed to be at or toes or flat foot, just SFW!

Fair 'nuff. Most of us are in this game to get big, not set a new national record by a minor form tweak. For this majority, SFW. For the CAPO/PA members with years of lifting behind them and already moving up their lifts, then maybe tweaking to the N'th degree might be something to consider.

But for the bulk of us, lift safe, lift strong and lift more.

Cheers,
Mike

I think both arguments hold true for various reasons.

When I started benching I was pretty flat natural small arch, wide elbows. This was ok until I got up to ~90kg benches, i started to get sore shoulders, moving my elbows closer to my body fixed this. bench didnt go up any faster.

When I got heavier 95, 100, 105 kg I started to arch up more, my bench didnt , hasnt gone up any faster than it did earlier, infact I think I find it harder to increase my bench now., could just be a food not big enough thing but.

What I have noticed is that when you bench flatish, solid core, elbows in feet planted, you can do more, bigger sets higher reps etc. When I am arched up , going for 1, or 2 reps I do feel moore solid, no question. If I stay really locked arched I get a sore back, not injured just fatigued, and sometimes in seems cramped, for holding the lock for an extendended period.

I have also noticed that when I am not arched the weight will either go up or it wont.

If I am arched up, i find I am able to fight it more, and really push it, sounds good??? Well I also find that when i really push it I tend to twist, and when arched twisting is nasty, I have strained my back a few time now doing this, The last was when I videod that 120, i was tired and pushed it., didnt work out for a week or two.

I think an arch should be incorporated when going for 1rm or low sets. But after you have got some ground work done, you need to have a strong core, strong back, strong hammies.. to support a strong pectoral girdle of muscles, it is your anchor so you are solid and can focus on the push that is in your face. Most novice lifters should not really be attempting big 1Rm sets, and maybe more focus should be on getting strong, and getting used to pushing and controling the weight.

I would recomend for normal sessions of gym lifts that you focus on the exercise of working your pectoral girdle muscles, getting stronger and in control, and then worry about an big arch, powerlifter type stuff until you want to do powerlifting.

Also when watching those vids on u tube, be aware we are not all 18inched thick through the chest, we are not all powerlifters, were you only move the bar 6 inches. A normal persons elbows will come past your back, esp if you want the bar to touch your chest.

Just stay solid, have a good foundation, get in a comfortable position, dont wiggle or lift your ass, keep your feet planted, elbows at 45degrees from your body, and a slight natural arch.

Best of luck..

Something that i noticed wasn't put forth: shoulder stability!
Are you scapula(shoudler baldes) retracted and depressed?

If you watch alot of the top powerlifters set up on the bench there is a lot of retraction and depression, keeping the shoulder gridle tight and supported.(a good example is SP at the nats, sorry SP!! :)) Then of course attempt to tuck the elbows rather than nice and square..

This is where pushups are ideal if you do have dodgy shoulders, they give you the ability to retract and protract the scapula. However, the downside is that you can't really overload them unless you use chains, bands and cable based resistance.

Another thing maybe worth mentioning is where is that bar coming down to..? neck region? nipple? either will alter the pressure through the shoulders

even grip..? Comp grip ruins shoulders, i know a lot of guys that only utilise comp grip shirted or close to comp if and when competiting raw and most if not all of their over work is done a little closer in.

Just something to consider:)

I found after my pec ripped for the 3rd time i started heavy pressing and push press out of a rack no benching for months,i then tried to bench and did 165kg pretty easy,markos told me to press,squat and deadlift every day,it worked.