• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Max's trip to the Worlds

PTC

I thought I would start a journal regarding our trip to the WPC Raw World Championships in Idaho on September 3-5th.

This will be of interest for Max to look back on in years to come, as well as be entertaining for some of you guys.

I'll start at the beginning.

Max decided to have a crack at PL after hurting his back training for OL. He was at a National Level standard for OL whilst training in the garage, and Armando, an ex OL who lifted internationally for Australia, took him under his wing as started training him. After hurting his back in January 2010, he took a break for a while, then slowly started training again.

In March, he started training exclusively for PL. We planned to lift at the Vic State Titles in May. We saw that NSW was having its titles in April in Albury, so we drove up to get him some experience. He did okay and set NR in the 17yo 75kg class. He totaled 467.5kg @ 72kg.

In May at the Vics he totaled 487.5kg @ 74kg in the 18-19yo class.

I contacted Amy Jackson who is the WPC rep for the Raws and expressed interest in coming over to compete. The National titles were being held 14 days AFTER the cut off for entry. CAPO never planned for the Raw Worlds, just the equipped. They are 3 months AFTER our Nats, the way it should be, and this has caused us plenty of headaches.

Now I had a problem in that it was going to cost us around $6000 for the trip. I started fund raising and everyone has been so generous it has actually embarrased me.

I originally got quotes for the flights at $1600 each. We hadnt raised the money, so I couldnt book them, not knowing this was a big mistake at the time. I had no passports either.

We decided to wait for the Nats, to ensure Max didnt get injured, and on Monday after the Nats, I got the ball rolling. He totaled 500kg @ 78kg so he's progressing good, everything was set.

First problem. The guy doing the passports said we should pay the premium price to ensure we got our passports on time. This made them $570 total. I was shocked. Got a quote for the flights, was over $4000 Melbourne to LA to Salt Lake City to Idaho Falls, for the both of us.

Now were screwed, I dont have enough money. Nina and I had saved an extra $1000 that I had to use to buy a computer and fix something on our people mover 2 weeks ago, it was essential.

We have $3000 left after the passports and entry fee. We need to book flights, accomodation.

Then I decide we'll drive from LA. Its a 14 hour drive, car hire is just over $300 for the week. Flights are now only $3030. Those flights advertised at $950 to LA sell out months before, and the price goes up as the departure date gets closer. Something I was unaware of.

Regardless, we didnt have the money back then anyway.

I've just come back from the travel agent. Passports are paid for, flights are paid for.

We dont have a cent, we need to book a car and motel rooms.

We leave on Monday the 30th of August and arrive back on Thursday the 9th o September.

Money issues aside, everything is going well. Max is getting heavier everyday. We are all healthy, and were going over regardless, even if we have to sleep in the car.

Now, Max's training. We really are unsure if there is a best way to train, we actually only have 2 weeks for training from the Nats.

On Monday Max squatted.

165kg x 1 x 5 sets
Assorted squats from different pin heights, with a pause on the pins
110kg x 10 x 4 sets

Tonight is bench press, I'll post up what we did later on.

We are planning to catch a workout at Golds in Venice when we get there on Monday night, then leave first thing in the morning for the 14 hour drive, which takes us through Las Vegas and Salt Lake City in Utah. Its a 24 hour weigh in, so we have to be in Idaho Falls by Thursday evening, as Max is lifting on Friday evening. Presentation is on Sunday, so we'll head off on Tuesday.

Apparently there is a gold, silver and bronze medal awarded, they need a flag and recording of the Anthem.

Thats it for now, and if you guys see 2 guys robbing a bank in the states wearing PTC hoodies, dont say anything lol

No seriously, dont say anything.

BAHAHA.
Theirs that many of the PTC fund raising hoodies getting around now, they wouldnt know who to chase :p.

Good luck over there guys.

Good luck to the both of you, they won't know what hit em with max. And as always I'm sure the ausbb community would help out in any way we can. good luck.

P.S - As long as you dont have name tags on im sure you'll be sweet....lol

Enjoy the roadtrip, its a dream to drive over there compared to the police state here. check to see what your rental car max speed is in the mohave desert, i got a hyanda sonata up to 200kph lol

And America is the sort of place where theres plenty of women who'll provide free accomodation in exchange for.. massages. yeah

Bench press tonight.

107.5kg x 1
108.5kg x 1
108.5kg x 1
107.5kg x 1
107.5kg x 1

3 board presses

60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 3
105kg x 1
110kg x 1
115kg x 1

All reps on both movements were paused.

At the moment we are looking at opening with 107.5kg, then taking 110kg and maybe 112.5-115kg depending on how he feels. If he gets to over 80kg first thing in the morning, he should get 115kg.

The bar we used at the Nats was an Ivanko and the markings threw him off. Our centre knurling/smooth part is 43cm wide, the Ivanko bar is 35cm. His grip is right on the edge of the smooth part, like a close grip for most.

We figured we had it right, but his second attempt 110kg didnt go up, he smashed it on his 3rd, which shouldve been 112.5kg.

His grip is right on the edge of the smooth part, like a close grip for most.

so the thumbs are on the rough part in the middle of the bar?

has Max tried a wider grip, if so, why does he prefer to bench with a narrow grip?

most importantly, i wish you and Max all the best at the Worlds. Be sure to take some vids/pics of the journey and have a safe trip.

Cheers!

Last edited:
His hands are 43cm apart. He has tried a wider grip, but he benches more this way. He has a strong lockout, his upper back, delts and triceps play a major role in this.

Remember he has put 120kg overhead. That takes A LOT of upper back strength.

Wow, Good luck to max i hope he shows them what training in a Garage can do.

Also is Raw a tested or untested comp?

Good luck to the big man! would love to see some of the crazy Europeans that are there!

WPC is untested

Well it would be good to see max do well in an untested comp, especially considering all the ProHormones that you could get over in the States not long ago.

Will max be competing in an age catagory or just weight?

Well it would be good to see max do well in an untested comp, especially considering all the ProHormones that you could get over in the States not long ago.

Will max be competing in an age catagory or just weight?

I think alot of these guys competing will be taking abit more than PH's lol

Squats again tonight. Max squatted 175kg in April and hasnt made that weight since. His back wasnt recovered by the NSW states where he only made 160kg, and it felt terrible since. His deadlift has soared, but his squat has stagnated. He made 150kg x 5 x 5 back then, its the strongest his squat was.

He is doing a modified Smolov cycle until we go. He will be squatting tonight, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, we leave on Monday. He is doing 6 squat sessions in 11 days. He will then have 5 days off.

Tonights session was 150kg x 5 x 7 sets.

He wont do any deadlifting and only a little benching before we go.

Good luck to you both. I am sure he will love the experience no matter what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device