• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Around 30 degrees

Any higher and your front delts would come into play.

/waits for one of the guys on forum to disagree and say just do flat bench as your muscle still gets worked the same way

and i like big titties

Last edited:
"Best" would be relative to you and to the way your shoulder joints feel under the load. For me, I like the 45 degree angle and all the way up to 60 degree. At 30 degree and lower my shoulder joints just can't take it. Having said that, I'm not one to talk chest since mine are nothing to write home about.

Fadi.

Necrobump this 'cos I was a little confuzzled at the gym today..

Doing incline bench (at 60 deg, might bring it back to 45 next time but that's another story), and PT comes running over saying, 'no, don't touch the bar down to your chest, you'll ruin your shoulders! Only lower the bar until the elbow is at chest level'.

Is this correct? It feels easier but at the same time, mental picture of quarter rep squats come to mind.

I touch my chest although my shoulders don't like it so i opt for dumbells for incline. Feels much better..

Normally 45.

Did 65 the other week first time in a long time and my shoulders did not like it at all.

I used to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and do a 30. Did upper and flat, maybe not much shape, but overall size.

Doing incline bench (at 60 deg, might bring it back to 45 next time but that's another story), and PT comes running over saying, 'no, don't touch the bar down to your chest, you'll ruin your shoulders! Only lower the bar until the elbow is at chest level'.

Is this correct? It feels easier but at the same time, mental picture of quarter rep squats come to mind.

Must retract your scapula...

Then shoulders can easily handle range of motion to chest...

Above all else though must listen to your body... Your levers and mobility are unique to you so its up to you to find safe ranges of motion that suit your make up...

what an idiot. typical pt hass read something somewhere and made some assumptions based on that...

as has been said you need to fully retract your scapula and open your chest right up to get the most out of the movement.

if you only lowered till your elbows were at you chest you are only doing a half rep and you become one of those people we all laugh at with all the weight on the bar thinking they are He-man because they can do quarter/half reps

you may not feel right touching your chest but you want to be coming pretty damn close. sometime i dont feel like i can touch my chest but i am still within an inch of it

Have done bb inclines for ages, prefer DB's. Usually a lower incline, around 30, depends on the bench.

These haven't done much for me. As in hardly any carryover to bench or overhead press performance. But then I have been using DB's, will give BB's a go and see if it makes a diff.

30 degrees also. Any higher and front delts take over. I had a bit of an ah-ha moment a few months ago and my incline bench has improved a lot. Instead of lowering the bar to your chest, lower it to your neck. Much better chest activation and removes most of the front delt helping out.

37 Degrees for me. Maybe I'll try dropping it to 30 if I feel like getting kray kray next week.

Bout 30 I rectum, narrow(er) grip, long movement, gave me those square upper pecs that poke out of a singlet, well that's what I recon anyways, but kunce be telling me it's more my genetics that determined the shape. Dunno make up your own mind, too much science to think about, so I don't, I just train.

Bout 30 I rectum, narrow(er) grip, long movement, gave me those square upper pecs that poke out of a singlet, well that's what I recon anyways, but kunce be telling me it's more my genetics that determined the shape. Dunno make up your own mind, too much science to think about, so I don't, I just train.

Targeting just upper chest has always reeked a bit of bro science. I've tried just incline chest workouts, just barbell, just flies, body weight, etc. Nothing has made a difference in shape. If you want a bigger upper chest, you just need to increase your total chest muscle mass.

I think just like some people have a larger quad sweep than others or different shaped abs. It's genetics.

What about decline angles kunce?
I never do declines but think I have nice round, firm boobies