• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Drinking milk

Kyle Aaron

Full fat dairy not all bad for health
New research shows there may be some added health benefits to eating full-fat dairy products.

Scientists from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research surveyed more than 1,000 people on their eating habits over 16 years.

They found those who had the highest intake of full-fat dairy had the lowest risk of death from heart disease or stroke.

Dr Jolieke van der Pols says while more research is needed, there may be nutrients in full-fat dairy products that balance their saturated fat content.

"It's interesting because for many years people have thought full-fat dairy is not good because it adds to your fat intake," she said.

"That is true and you still need to keep a good eye on not eating too much fat.

"But there is some increasing evidence that there might actually be some beneficial components in the fat of dairy that can help prevent some diseases."​
[my emphasis]

The actual paper is here.

"participants with the highest intake [of dairy] (median intake 339 g/day) had reduced death due to CVD [heart disease]"​

What do you know, it turns out real food is good for you. Milk also helps you get stronger. I get most of my clients to drink milk during their workouts, about a litre each. All of them have got stronger, and all the overfat ones trimmed down, all the scrawny ones bulked up. A few of them have been to the doctor, all have had improved blood cholesterol readings and lowered blood pressure.

Milk is the most overlooked food in the quest for strength and size gains in my opinion.

Personal anecdote...

I love my milk and have been drinking the full fat stuff my whole life, despite suffering allergies when I was younger (thankfully not anymore). I used to go crazy on it as a teenager. When I finished high school, I wasn't very active and my body composition went down hill. I started exercising in my mid 20s, mainly running, cycling and a bit of beach weights.

I started powerlifting a bit over a year ago at 28 years of age. On a steady diet of full fat milk, steak, chicken and lots of vegies, I put on about 15-20kg in lean mass and now weigh 100kg at 6 foot. At one stage, I was on the full gallon a day, but still have at least 1 litre a day. We rarely eat processed food at home, and coming from a Greek background, I've been brought up that what's made (and preferably grown) at home is best for you.

Admittedly my body composition is still not great, body fat probably in high teens-low 20s, but not bad either and way better than when I started.

I'm turning 30 in a month, so I went and got a check up a few weeks ago. Doctor suggested I get full bloods done (100kg at 183cm makes me clinically obese according to BMI :p).

Blood pressure normal.
Cholesterol and triglycerides like a healthy teenager.
Fasting glucose perfectly fine.

:)

Max had his BMI tested at school yesterday.

172cm and 78kg = 26.4 and Overweight

At 18, he has a solid six pack, tested at 12% body fat with a 14 point test (is leaner now) with large veins running through his arms.

What message are they sending our kids. If Max was not switched on and had tested Overweight, it could have had a very negative effect on his mental state.

He was actually rapt.

Overweight

56.jpg

105.jpg

42.jpg

339g a day of dairy is not a high dairy intake... Excuse me if i read it wrong.

Its is "lifestyle" because someone drinks full fat milk they are not instantly going to die of a heart attack..

They are now finding that cholesterol profile has little to do with heart disease, and it is mainly the white powdered stuff and lack of nutrients enzymes that lead to problems...

LDL is not evil, it is only a problem if it oxadises and it oxadises for a variety of reasons...

The study doesnt show much yes it was long but they measured what "dairy intake" a low one at that and then concluded results without looking at a whole persons diet or lifestyle...

Frustrating how people waste time with this shit. Then give major headings like "Full fat dairy not all bad for health" People see it and run with it...

When that isnt what the results showed at all.. They didnt look at "health" they looked at cause of death. While you would generally think they go hand in hand it isnt always alot of things are out of our control...

Problem is people see this and it opens the flood gates to stupid eating habits like replaceing actual meals of say meat and veg for milk as it is easier to drink...

The study doesnt look at things like gene expression of peptides in milk... Inflamitory factors for people with intolerences.

Im not saying milk is bad im just saying that there are alot of things involved. And headlines of Not at all bad for your health sends the wrong message..

If we took a group of 1000 people and fed them a mars bar a day on a restricted calorie diet with exercise and they didnt gain fat compared to people who ate twice daily calories in real food but gained fat and concluded "mars bars dont lead to fat gain" then we would see it for the worthless dribble it is.

Also Kyle did you ever think that the reason BP and cholesterol panel improved was from the exercise your clients are doing?

Im not against milk once again, just for some people it is the opposite of health...

Milk is the most overlooked food in the quest for strength and size gains in my opinion.
Absolutely.

The other day I'd just finished a session with my guy who when I first worked with him was over 150kg. About an hour later I was talking to a woman on the treadmill, she said, "I saw that guy drinking milk, doesn't that hurt his weight loss? I gave up dairy and lost 5kg."
"He has lost 15kg in three months, last we measured it."
"My god, he must be starving himself and doing lots of cardio!"
"No starvation, just more fruit and vegies, no junk food. If the packet is more colourful than the contents, he doesn't eat it. He had salmon and vegies for lunch today. He has pizza night once a week. The milk powers his workouts and helps him build muscle, this muscle helps him burn more fat. No cardio like yours, tonight was his first time ever on a treadmill. He has a step counter, he just walks to work and stuff. In the gym, weight training. "
"I hate lifting weights."
"Why?"
"Because I'm so weak, and I suck at it, bad technique."
"Then lift some more, you will get stronger and I or any other instructor here can correct your technique. I don't mean PT sessions, it's our job watching over the gym to help you with technique any time you're here. Your gym fee is for instruction, not just equipment."
"No way, I hate lifting weights. I prefer cardio."
"Cardio can be good for you. Are you getting the results you want?"
"I did at first but I've stalled for the last few months."
"Then perhaps you should do something different."
"I will, I'm going to stop eating meat and do more cardio."

She's doing her heart-lung health and general wellbeing good with her cardio. I think she looked fine, but she would like to lose more fat. She could take it a step further, but refuses to, oh well.

You can't reason with some people.

n00bs said:
Also Kyle did you ever think that the reason BP and cholesterol panel improved was from the exercise your clients are doing?
Of course. I would never suggest that people whose lives consist of sitting on the couch watching Oprah and eating Tim Tams should knock back a couple of litres of milk a day.

But if a person has a diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegies, lots of nuts and beans, and not much junk food, and if that person is generally physically active in both cardio and resistance work (whether in their job or in the gym), then a big dose of dairy will in general do them good, not harm - given the limits of people's family history of heart disease, etc. That seems to be the consensus of the science these days, as much as science ever has a consensus.

Eat good fresh food, mostly plants, and move your body. Simple, not easy. Life's too simple for most people.

Last edited:
You are supposed to use the waist:hip ratio in conjuction with the BMI for a better indication if somebody is overweight.
Im pretty sure that for men its over .95 and for chicks its .82

So take a tape, go round your belly botton, write it down.
Go round the largest part of your arse, write it down.

Hips devided by waist = hopfully less than 0.95. Mine is 0.82.

If you over .95 AND overweight on BMI, you might be in the bulking phase :p.
If not, your ok.

Did I learn something from my course? HA, 4K well spent :D

Off topic much lol

I'm going against the grain here and stating that a young trainee would be wise to make milk their last choice if they could afford to buy fresh produce.

Don't forget that milk was taken raw, it was cheap, societys problem after ww2 was not obesity, especially for children.
Posted via Mobile Device

God invented weight training and diet to be simple enough so anyone could do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I 1st started working out this was my diet pretty much:

Breakfast: milk/water shake with 4 tablespoons aussie bodies protein, banana maybe some oats

Meal 2: recess
protein FX bar - everyone at school was like w........t..........f this was like yr 8 lol

Meal 3: lunch
pasta with some meat - again ppl were like wtf lol all eating there sandwiches

Meal 4:
normally after training - p30 pre-mixed drink

Meal 5: dinner
steak, veggies - whatever really

Meal 6:
same as breakfast

I was never a huge milk drinker but still saw that it was important in growth and strength! looking back now I would of drunk more.

So what's the answer here. It is or isn't good for you? Or is it just make up your own mind!

I switched to No fat milk a few years ago and noticed no difference. I also read that the no fat stuff went through more purification and was better because of it alot like why we take WPI as it is a higher yield of milk. The protein content is also higher per cup.

I'm all for milk as long as your insulin sensitivity is up to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

At 92kg and 168cm I'm obese by BMI, and proud of it!

I would love to return to full-cream milk but I've got dangerously high cholesterol thanks to my Dad and avoid as much high cholesterol food as possible, eggs included.

So what's the answer here. It is or isn't good for you? Or is it just make up your own mind!

I switched to No fat milk a few years ago and noticed no difference. I also read that the no fat stuff went through more purification and was better because of it alot like why we take WPI as it is a higher yield of milk. The protein content is also higher per cup.

There are arguments for and against.

If you like your milk as I do , drink it freddy drink it.

My dairy these days consists of kefir, yogurt and small amounts of sara lee rocky road ice cream.
I always had a bottle of milk in my hands as a youngen.

Just make sure you are eating well and regularly.

At 92kg and 168cm I'm obese by BMI, and proud of it!

I would love to return to full-cream milk but I've got dangerously high cholesterol thanks to my Dad and avoid as much high cholesterol food as possible, eggs included.

ya little nugget!

It's all about C-reactive protein levels, which in simple English is a measurement that relates to the level of inflammation you have in your body. That is why I take systemic enzymes and be careful to foods that I know would cause me inflammation. Eating protein foods as God intended is best, and that means with their full array of saturated fats (my favourite) which is the most stable of all fats.

Ghee features heavily in our cooking which is a clarified butter fat I've been having since childhood.

Having said that, balance in everything will always reign supreme above all else.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I'm going against the grain here and stating that a young trainee would be wise to make milk their last choice if they could afford to buy fresh produce.

Don't forget that milk was taken raw, it was cheap, societys problem after ww2 was not obesity, especially for children.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andy, there are people who would not touch raw milk even when opportunity presents itself, as in one living on a farm and having his/her own cows to milk. I have been brought up on raw orgainc milk that has always been brought to the boil before consumption. You may find that by doing so, this procedure facilitates milk's digestion immensely.

I do realise that there is a huge debate going on regarding raw vs. pasteurised etc. However pasteurised milk is nothing like boiled milk since the pasteurisation process renders milk difficult to digest due to the resulting coagulation of its protein bonds.

Fadi.

Last edited: