• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Try teaching 80 year olds with hip and knee replacements how to squat (bodyweight, holding onto rails and minimal ROM compared to a normal squat)... can be funny sometimes. They tend to like to bend at the knees and do some weird hip movement forwards. Then you say sit down like you would on the toilet, pushing your hips back. They get it and then about 2 reps later they are back to doing the same thing again.

This is where I feel bench squats are superior to regular squats.

It teaches the lifter to sit back, and he does so with confidence.

Try teaching 80 year olds with hip and knee replacements how to squat (bodyweight, holding onto rails and minimal ROM compared to a normal squat)... can be funny sometimes. They tend to like to bend at the knees and do some weird hip movement forwards. Then you say sit down like you would on the toilet, pushing your hips back. They get it and then about 2 reps later they are back to doing the same thing again.

Hilarious Dave!

I've had a few of these myself..:)
Occasionally worse are the teenagers, generally boys that have not had the opportunity to participate in any sport at school or out of school..
Try and get them to squat.. and that's after being at a gym for 12 weeks :)

I find potato sack squats are superior; we use 5, 10 and 20 kg bags.

When they master this we put the potatoes in the sacks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
like Andy said, it's best not to complicate it; babies and children never have...
The hardest person I have ever had to teach the squat and deadlift to is an electrical engineer. He thinks hard about every rep. Dumb people are easier to teach, they don't think, they just lift :D

I find that most people, it takes 5-10 minutes to teach them. It's still not perfect, but will be good enough to get them - over some months of course - to reps with around 1.25x bodyweight on squat or 1.5x BW on deadlift. Of course my opinion may change with more experience, but that's what I've found so far.
PTC said:
This is where I feel bench squats are superior to regular squats. It teaches the lifter to sit back, and he does so with confidence.
My big guy who started at 165kg bodyweight was unconfident just with squatting with no bar. So for about 6 sessions he had a chair with no bar, then another 6 we added a bar, then we took away the chair. He fell over once, but got straight back up and was fine from then on, he doesn't remember it now.

This was just what I thought of at the time, I am glad to hear that it's been practised with lots of lifters.

Too much analysing and too much complicating what is natural. Okay, maybe this is just me so forgive me for wanting to simplify things a bit.

Fadi.

Too much analysing and too much complicating what is natural. Okay, maybe this is just me so forgive me for wanting to simplify things a bit.

Fadi.

Fadi; you could fill just one page-no more than a thousand words on how to build strength improve fitness and diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fadi; you could fill just one page-no more than a thousand words on how to build strength improve fitness and diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andy, I'm seriously beginning to think that this issue is age related. I don't know who to blame; the media, the supplement companies, or the (mostly) young individual who is looking where you and I are not!

Fadi.

Hi,
I know for low bar squats you should initiate the movement with the hips, as if sitting on the toilet. But what about high bar squats? Do I still initiate the movement with the hips?

Thanks

I like what Kyle said that people think too much (including me).

But since I learnt the "knees out" cue my uncomfortable squat got a lot better.

Pushing the knees out creates the space my body just drops into naturally.

I don't know whether the hips or knees break first, but the nice thing is it doesn't even matter as my squat now feels good which is rare for a lanky tall person like me who squatting did not come naturally. I'm more of a deadlifter..

I squat barefoot so my feet can tell me whether I'm balanced correctly.

I do break at the hips first only because it also reminds me to keep tight, the knees just go where the feet tell them and it works well for me. I cheat by squatting to a milk crate to make sure I hit depth (touch and go rather than pausing at the bottom, I'm not a madman)

Last edited: