• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

48 is it to late

05yr1

Hi, l am new to the forum. l am 48 and weight 75kg, l would like to bulk up big time is it possible at my age or am l pushing it to acheive my goal. l would to increase my body weight by at least 10kgs Do l keep eating fatty foods, joining Jetts on friday week [6Aug] just like to here your thoughts.

No, 10kg is a good goal. It is harder as you age but Silverback on here still deadlifts at least 170kg and I believe he is a year older than you are. Just eat healthy and a lot of it, and also get a check up by your GP to make sure you do not have any issues. Even if you do not get your goal just lifting more and exercising regularly will decrease your chances of annoying diseases and issues when you are older. Trust me having a hip replacement or knee replacement or vertebral fusion sucks I deal with 70-90 year old people who have had these due to arthritis and osteoporosis. If they exercised more at your age and kept it up as they aged (as much as you can) they would have significantly decreased their chances of these issues occurring. I am not even going to mention anything about Heart Disease.

Last edited:
The fact that you're asking such a question means that you know deep inside that it is possible. There are people who are making progress at 70; 48 doesn't seem too late now does it!

I don't blame you for asking such a question because people our age are usually coaching/training the younger generation or (God forbid), have taken up a new hobby called DVD movie watching (full time) :D!

Fadi.

I have heard that is your most favourite exercise Fadi.
Who told you that Dave; was it Denzel Washington, Al Pacino, or was it Robert De Niro. Can't trust anyone with a secret these days can you now... :)!

Fadi.

There is always testosterone and growth hormone replacement therapy as well :D

I really don't know why an advanced country like Australia makes such a big deal when it comes to hormones and older men, when countries like Germany, France etc understand and treat it as a normal part of life, (for their doctors to work with and prescribe such "highly restricted items" to their patients)!

Fadi.

Hi, l am new to the forum. l am 48 and weight 75kg, l would like to bulk up big time is it possible at my age or am l pushing it to acheive my goal. l would to increase my body weight by at least 10kgs Do l keep eating fatty foods, joining Jetts on friday week [6Aug] just like to here your thoughts.

Yes of course this is possible. My advice on first steps would be to read a lot, research how to go about things, not just on this forum but as many sources as is practical. There is so much rubbish information out there (and in here at times too) that you have to read a sufficient amount to be able to separate the tried and true stuff from the rubbish.

You don't want to just 'keep eating fatty foods' as you mentioned. You want to do things properly, this means a good eating and weight training plan. DO NOT waste money on equipment or products before researching thoroughly. Also, before wasting any money you need to think very deeply about how committed you are.

I should have added to the above......start doing some initial workouts to get your body used to it, pushups, bench dips, dumbbell work, whatever, while you're researching. Don't get too bogged down in the reading that you wait forever to get started. No need for analysis paralysis, just get the body gradually used to the new road ahead.

Is Jetts one of those 24hr health spas?

I have a client who first touched weights at 60 years old.

At 61 he had 4 National Powerlifting records and deadlifted 200kg without a belt.

In 2 weeks he may have 4 WR.

I bet he wished he started at 48 lol

He is a member on here, Monkey Man

Thanks for the feed back its been good. l would like to add a few questions, is there a thread for a bulk up menu, like a complete menu l mean when they say have 3 eggs like how raw boiled and then they say 1\2 a chicken cooked how and what to have with it, l hope there is a good bulk up menu some where, and is there a web page in the forum or on the internet on the good and bad bulk up protein powders something like a choice magazine be in a internet form there seams to be a hell of a lots to chose from and donot know which to by. Being a tradesman [painter] we only stop for smoko so trying to stop for a feed every couple of hours is pushing it [not going to give up that easy] will eat some how. Thanks Shane.

I really don't know why an advanced country like Australia makes such a big deal when it comes to hormones and older men, when countries like Germany, France etc understand and treat it as a normal part of life, (for their doctors to work with and prescribe such "highly restricted items" to their patients)!

Fadi.

They do? I thought they used a lot of hormon replace treatments in Australia?

/Mattias

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back its been good. l would like to add a few questions, is there a thread for a bulk up menu, like a complete menu l mean when they say have 3 eggs like how raw boiled and then they say 1\2 a chicken cooked how and what to have with it, l hope there is a good bulk up menu some where, and is there a web page in the forum or on the internet on the good and bad bulk up protein powders something like a choice magazine be in a internet form there seams to be a hell of a lots to chose from and donot know which to by. Being a tradesman [painter] we only stop for smoko so trying to stop for a feed every couple of hours is pushing it [not going to give up that easy] will eat some how. Thanks Shane.
OK, I'll point you in the right direction to kick start your reading as I'm also an older fellow but not quite so old as your good self and know how overwhelming it can all be.

A couple of good things to read:

1. Fadi's thread on his 3000cal diet. Its pinned in the diet subsection of the forum. Go read it, its got everything you need to understand what you should be ingesting. At 75kg you're the same as me so my diet that I've also loaded up here might help. In it I explain Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) and the need to be in calorie surplus to this if you want to grow. Markos will tell you to just eat clean and eat lots and I think he might be on the money. But if its a diet you need, then start with Fadi's.

2. Read Markos' PPP thread. Its constantly getting bumped to the top of new posts so isn't hard to find. I'm doing that programme now and highly recommend it. The base of whatever lifting programme you choose to adopt should be the big three lifts of deadlifts, squats and bench. To that end, Markos is right in suggesting Jets might not be the best gym for achieving your goals. From memory, all the 24hr ones have no squat racks as they're scared you might drop the weight and hurt yourself when you're there unsupervised. For $20, Markos PPP progamme is the best money you'll ever spend.

3. Read Fadi's other posts on workouts. There's a great beginner's programme one which I think is also the one that talks about the different muscle fibre types. Very good reading to introduce you to how the body works and grows and how your workouts should be structured. But for ease of use, again I recommend PPP.

In summary, eat lots of clean whole goods. Aim for 50% carbs, 40% proteins and 10% dietary fats. If its processed, don't eat it. Things that are good to eat are meat, veg, eggs, nuts and some dairy. Be sure and get about 200gm of protein a day at your weight and starting where you're starting from. Then, do a three day a week lifting programme with one day each dedicated to Deadlifts, Squats and Bench with supporting exercises to address weaknesses in each lift.

Get that right, and you'll be on a good starting path to achieving your goals. And above all, discipline is king. Don't think that you can skip a meal or substitute it with some crap and not pay the price. Don't think you can skip a workout and not pay the price. Discipline, discipline and discipline. But discipline without the correct diet, workout and rest rules in place won't get you there either.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
cant wait till im over 45 and i have miniscule test levels.. !!!

- Hello Dr i have a low test and have erection problems
- here u go ceffo inject some of these celltech supps and call me in a week
- WIN!!

if you want resuls you need to spend some dollars and get advice from a pro not some one who has a p/t ticket from a 10 week course tell me were you are and maybe i can put you onto the right person you need a face to face experanced trainer to get you started all the written advice in the world will only confuse you ,and are you to old ?i have kids older than you and still train my bum off

Franks statement about being confused by all the written info out there is very true. Get a good coach and you will go far.

How old are you Frank?
Posted via Mobile Device