• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vegetables

John555

Banned
Hi,
I know people say you have to eat your vegies. But the thing is, I'm a college student, which means I'm quite poor lol. Most of my friends eat instant noodles.

However I have made the sacrifice to consume good whole foods. So right now I eat canned tuna in springwater for my protein, take fish oil supplements for essential fatty acids and a multi vitamin. However this means I do not have enough money for vegies.

What are your guys opinion on this? Would it be ok to skip vegies altogether? Note I am on a cut right now.

Sell the supps, buy vegies.

Go to Vic market or the equivalent wherever you are. Should not have to pay more than $2-$4/kg for most vegies, things like mushrooms are usually pricier, but carrots, celery, onions, capsicum, zucchini, broccoli, bok choy, etc etc can usually be had quite cheap.

Hi,
I know people say you have to eat your vegies. But the thing is, I'm a college student, which means I'm quite poor lol. Most of my friends eat instant noodles.

However I have made the sacrifice to consume good whole foods. So right now I eat canned tuna in springwater for my protein, take fish oil supplements for essential fatty acids and a multi vitamin. However this means I do not have enough money for vegies.

What are your guys opinion on this? Would it be ok to skip vegies altogether? Note I am on a cut right now.

Obviously your mum doesn't know about this or she'll be doing something about it I'm sure. Make sure she's informed okay!

Fadi.

Before we all get ahead of ourselves; John- you mentioned wholefoods, what are they?

It is possible to forego vegatables IF the food you choose is nutrient dense and eaten in a raw state and supplement with a fibre source.

Know what you need to do before asking a stupid erroneous question.
Posted via Mobile Device

As Kyle says, they're not expensive. Buy your vegies!

You can get a kilo of beans for the same price as one of your fancy little pre-packaged tuna cans.

My advice, buy a few kilos of beans, brocolli, cauliflower. Buy a steamer if you don't have one already. Its a pot with a separate pot that goes on top with holes in the bottom then the lid on the very top. Throw a handful of beans, a handful of chopped brocolli and a handful of chopped cauliflower in it and boil/steam for about 10 minutes. Add a chunk of kangaroo steak that you've bbq'd to your plate and enjoy.

Vegies need to become your staple.

Cheers,
Mike

It's good to keep in mind what's seasonal. I can never remember them all, though. So I just look around the greengrocer and filter by price. I want to get at least 4 different kinds of fruit - and will get anything under $4/kg. I want to get at least 6 different kinds of vegies, at least 2 of which must be green leafy or beans - and will get anything under $4/kg.

Once I've done that, I pick up a couple of things which might be more expensive, but we just like to have them - like mushrooms, strawberries, etc.

I've posted this before, it was the shopping of one Saturday a month ago, here it is again,

Here is one week's fruit/vegie shopping, and a month's meat/fish shopping. It cost $45, or a bit less.

Basa fish, 1kg
Mince beef, 1kg
Topside beef, 1kg
the meat and fish is one month's supply for us, we don't eat a lot, it cost $20

mushrooms, 0.5kg
capsicum, 0.5kg (expensive, it's winter, they're out of season)
tomatoes, 0.5kg (as for peppers)
carrots, 1kg
broccoli, 1kg
runner beans, 1kg
bananas, 1kg
apples, 1kg
pears, 0.5kg
mandarines, 1kg
all this was from a nearby wholesaler, and cost $24

Bread, one white for $1 and one whole grain for $1.20

It'd cost 2-3 times as much at a supermarket.

Potatoes, onions, pasta and rice we eat a lot of, but we buy those in big sacks so you don't usually see them on our weekly shopping. We also have almonds and things like that. And obviously milk, eggs, etc. All adds up to $60 a week when there are 2 of us, at the moment 3 of us for $80/week.

It costs more when I'm trying to up my squat :D But at the moment I'm settling into 2 new jobs, might be a 3rd soon, I need to find my new rhythm so I can get proper training in.

Attachments

• week's shopping.JPG
    week's shopping.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 16
Farrrk kyle ,, 1kg of fish,1kg of mince beef and 1kg of topside a month????

I'd eat nearly a kg a day of meat, am i reading it wrong?

Kyles not big on large protein amounts. Actually his shopping list kind of reminds me of my grandparents shopping.

Saying that I just cooked 2kg of mince in a stew which is 7 meals worth at 1 a day. Then add the 2 burger patties I have a day, a protein shake and nuts (or 2 depending on how busy I am) and the half a roast chicken in a sandwich I have post training, plus the 30g WPC pre and post WO, and 3 eggs 2 slices of bacon for breaky and a 50g of Micellar protein about 2 hours after that to tide me over till lunch at work. I think I get about Kyles protein intake for the week in one day :D

And 1kg of chicken, actually. So it's 1kg a week of meat/fish for both of us, or 500g each.

We get plenty of protein from milk and eggs, nuts and beans, too. Meat's not necessary simply for protein, it just makes it a lot easier!

I get around 120-150g protein daily from various foods. For example,
breakfast today was,
oats 150g = 24g protein
milk 250ml = 9g protein
eggs, 3 = 20g protein
cup (150g) chopped vegies for omelette = 7g protein​
or 60g protein in all.

According to the AIS, the 120-150g daily is plenty for muscle growth for a guy my size. And in my experience it has been. More does no harm to those without kidney or liver problems, it tends to be pooed and peed out, no big deal. In the past year or so, I've not been limited in my lifts by nutrition, I've been limited by health condition (scoliosis), by injuries (strained erector spinae, patellofemoral syndrome) and inconsistency in training due to normal life events - study, wedding, honeymoon, job-hunting, now new jobs, etc.

Because of my back, I am unlikely ever to deadlift 205 as you do, ChrisP. But if I were to try, I'd very probably up my intake of everything, including meat and fish.

Most of us really don't have to spend a fortune on food and supplements to reach our goals. Some might, most don't. The guy in the gym sticking to bench press and curls, or the woman sticking to crunches and tricep kickbacks, they really don't need to bother sipping on their protein powder drink.

In fact most beginners will find they spend less on food as they take out junk and add in vegies.

And 1kg of chicken, actually. So it's 1kg a week of meat/fish for both of us, or 500g each.

We get plenty of protein from milk and eggs, nuts and beans, too. Meat's not necessary simply for protein, it just makes it a lot easier!
I would not rely on nuts for protein.
15 almonds per say has 3.5gms of protein..far too little. Eat nuts for the fat not protein.

Total Fat 9.8 g 15%
Saturated Fat 0.7 g 3%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 1 mg 0%
Carbohydrate 0.9 g 0%
Sugars 0.9 g
Dietary Fibre 1.6 g 6%
Protein 3.5 g
Calcium 45 mg
Potassium 133.2 mg

15 nuts? Yeah, and if I eat a tablespoon of steak or a shot glass of milk they won't have much protein, either.

Nor would I "rely" on any one food for protein. A diverse range of sources is the way to go for general health, so the medicos tell us.

damn I wish I could eat that cheaply... I buy tuna in bulk 300 tins a time, steak in bulk 20kg a time chicken same... kangaroo is only bulk I havent found and im lucky to see change from $200 a week and im a light weight.... I feel for you big boys hahaha

Thank you! good advice. I will try my best to buy some vegies. Btw I live in Canberra, will be going to Brisbane next year though.

Thank you! good advice. I will try my best to buy some vegies. Btw I live in Canberra, will be going to Brisbane next year though.

When I was in Canberra for uni I used to go to the Belconnen markets to pick up my supplies of fresh fruit, veg and meat. Prices were a lot better than the supermarkets.