• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Have Juicer, will Juice...

MikeW

Any recipes for my new fancy juicer?

Just bought a Breville 850w one on eBay. Nice unit, picking it up on Saturday and looking forward to juicing up a storm.

I use a blender for my shakes with oats and stuff, but would be interested in how people have used their juicers and what sort of stuff they do with them if anything beyond juicing.

Cheers,
Mike

Haha nothing but juicing happens with mine. They are also good for catching pulp, an the missus making cakes ect.....

The juice I'm having at the moment is
1 beetroot
1 zucchini
1 lebanese cucumber
1/2 head broc
5 carrots
4 apples
2 sticks celery
2 serves macro greens

This makes about 1.2L for me. Tastes great now, and really good for you. I have to admit, it took a few days to get used to it lol.
Drink half when you make it, consume the rest within 24 hours. I was reading the enzymes start to die (oxadise?) with exposure to air.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate celery... ;)

Thanks mate, that's one hell of a concoction. I might try something similar and see how I get on.

Good one big fella.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

As a base, carrots are great. For anyone who would like an insulin spike that is also alkaline causing, then 500ml of carrot juice straight after training would give 50gm of high GI carbs. If for some reason you need more sweetness, then add some stevia (which is also alkaline causing).

Fadi.

Hi Mike,

As a base, carrots are great. For anyone who would like an insulin spike that is also alkaline causing, then 500ml of carrot juice straight after training would give 50gm of high GI carbs. If for some reason you need more sweetness, then add some stevia (which is also alkaline causing).

Fadi.

Hi Fadi, I was under the impression that carrots were low GI (<50) and therefore not enough to spike ones insulin.. (I could be wrong though) :)

Hi Mike,

Fadi.
Fadi,

Could you please help this novice out and explain the importance of insulin in my training and recovery? At the moment, all I understand is whole foods with a good protein/carb/fats balance for a minimum 2000cals a day and 180gm odd of protein. Beyond that my diet knowledge is almost non-existent. So, any light you could shed on what sorts of foods I should eat and when to ensure I have the best training and recovery would be appreciated.

I've now almost eliminated coffee from my diet and am having a green tea daily. But I know nothing about insulin or those sorts of things.

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

Fadi,

Could you please help this novice out and explain the importance of insulin in my training and recovery? At the moment, all I understand is whole foods with a good protein/carb/fats balance for a minimum 2000cals a day and 180gm odd of protein. Beyond that my diet knowledge is almost non-existent. So, any light you could shed on what sorts of foods I should eat and when to ensure I have the best training and recovery would be appreciated.

I've now almost eliminated coffee from my diet and am having a green tea daily. But I know nothing about insulin or those sorts of things.

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

Look into rooibos ;)

Regarding the insulin thing it depends on you and your insulin sensetivity..
Like i have said before there is alot of info for no carbs post workout and alotof info for carbs post workout.. Both coming from science and real world exeperience...

Its almost like a religous choice in the end...

Hi Fadi, I was under the impression that carrots were low GI (<50) and therefore not enough to spike ones insulin.. (I could be wrong though) :)

Possibly, but I have seen a GI rating as high as 90 and even higher Glycemic Index

Also, it's not all about GI these days as it is about GL (glycimic load) which factors the amount of carbs in a particular food. No one would sit and eat 1kg of carrots, but would easily drink that when it's juiced into 500ml.

I know Craft, there are plenty of sites on the net who say that carrots are a low GI food, and they may be right. Both you and I are only reading the findings of the experts, so I can't really dispute what you're saying either. Now it becomes a matter of how do I feel after drinking 500ml of carrot juice, good, bad, energetic, etc. Personally, I feel very refreshed after such a drink.

Fadi.

Regarding the insulin thing

NNNNNNOOOOO nOObs flash backs of last night!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read in a fair few places that carrots are high GI but low GL due to the low amounts of carbs per 100g. So having 1 carrot has a mild to little affect on insulin, whilst as Fadi is suggesting having 500g gives a much higher effect.

Mike I believe Fadi has written an a post on insulin, if you go read the dextrose thread I have copied some posts I have made on another forum that explains insulins and its affect on hormones and glycogen replacement during and post workout.

NNNNNNOOOOO nOObs flash backs of last night!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read in a fair few places that carrots are high GI but low GL due to the low amounts of carbs per 100g. So having 1 carrot has a mild to little affect on insulin, whilst as Fadi is suggesting having 500g gives a much higher effect.

Mike I believe Fadi has written an a post on insulin, if you go read the dextrose thread I have copied some posts I have made on another forum that explains insulins and its affect on hormones and glycogen replacement during and post workout.

LOL evil flashbacks i had nightmares!

Remember cooked carrots are different to raw carrots so where you get infomation regarding GI could be off if it is not listed...

Fadi,

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

Mike, as Dave said I've written so much on insulin and its role in bodybuilding it's not funny. So rather than do another post here where it would more than likely get lost in the crowd , I thought I'd write a whole new (separate) article on the subject very soon if you don't mind Sir.

Fadi.

Mike, as Dave said I've written so much on insulin and its role in bodybuilding it's not funny. So rather than do another post here where it would more than likely get lost in the crowd , I thought I'd write a whole new (separate) article on the subject very soon if you don't mind Sir.

Fadi.
Fadi,

Good thinking, and I appreciate the effort. I will also do as Dave suggested and look up those other two threads and do some reading. I had a bad workout yesterday and failed some lifts so am a bit down at the moment and looking for anything to improve my nutrition. Just eating more today, much more, anything clean I can get my hands on...

Cheers,
Mike

Fadi,

Good thinking, and I appreciate the effort. I will also do as Dave suggested and look up those other two threads and do some reading. I had a bad workout yesterday and failed some lifts so am a bit down at the moment and looking for anything to improve my nutrition. Just eating more today, much more, anything clean I can get my hands on...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, experience tells me that when one has a bad workout, one should not look at what he or she has eaten (or not eaten) on the day but on what they've been doing few days before that.

Have you noticed how Mondays' workouts are always better than any other! Muscle contraction, muscle pump, vascularity, strength etc. The reason can be found in full loaded muscles, loaded with glycogen that is. And the reason they're loaded is because most athletes do not train over the weekend which really does give their muscles a chance to fill up on all the food that they've eaten over this 2/3 days period.

Usually when one has a bad workout, one should look at the 2 or 3 days prior and examine what has taken place then. Even a stressed mind uses so much energy it's not funny. So look at the whole package, examine, analyse, or better still, look at your diary (which all should have) for any sign or cause that may have played a part in you having a bad workout. Diaries should have a section relating to moods' state as well.

PS: Some bodybuilders eat less/bring their calories down on days they're not training; big mistake in my opinion. Metabolisms don’t turn from being a V8 into a lethargic 4 cylinder in two day of not training. Something to keep in mind for anyone who cuts back on calories on rest days.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Fadi...

I think my stress levels haven't been helping lately either. I was sick for a couple of weeks and have lost about 5kg, but I've also been very stressed for a couple of key reasons. I've been trying to look beyond the issues and see the big picture, but the stress isn't that easily discarded. Been waking up at 2am and 3am in the mornings a bit too. Disrupted sleep and disrupted mind. But I'm trying to work through it and stay calm, well fed and as well rested as possible.

Oh to be 20 and carefree again. Life gets a lot more complicated when you're a husband, dad and sole provider. :)

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Oh to be 20 and carefree again. Life gets a lot more complicated when you're a husband, dad and sole provider. :)

Mike

I'll be 45 next month Mike and do understand what you're saying brother. However I'm quite enjoying the journey to be frank with you. I don't know about you, but I feel the sharing of your concerns with others you trust would have a tremendous relief and would genuinely lift up your spirits my friend.

Look after yourself Mike.

Fadi.